Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kholtzen  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 3:15:05 PM(UTC)
kholtzen

Groups: Registered

Hello fellow contractors,

I have a situation I need advice on. I currently work for the SBA under a contracting company. All of a sudden a entirely different contractor starting soliciting myself and my fellow employees for "future employment with their company." After many calls and emails the company I currently work for sent out a memo explaining that they have lost the contract as of April 1st to the other company. After we found out this crucial bit of information the new company "interviewed" all of us on the phone and had us submit resumes. We basically have had to apply for our own jobs. Today I found out that all the other contractors in my office received an offer letter from the company except me. I'm dumbfounded because I'm more than qualified for my job and my federal employee counterparts have no idea what they're going to do without me. Is there anything I can do? The new contractor is saying that they don't have enough "spots" to hire all of the current employees in my office. Yet, prior to this all going on they brought in a couple new employees. 

Is there anything I can do?? I would obviously still have my job if the company I currently work for hadn't lost their contract. As such, I feel this is extremely unfair and stupid. The government will have to pay to train new employees when they already have a fully trained and capable staff. I am in no way claiming that this job is owed to me but I have worked very hard on behalf of the federal government and am really sad to leave!!!

Help!!
smarterguy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 10:03:01 PM(UTC)
smarterguy

You can appeal to your gov't boss and ask them to insist the new contract company keep you on, but besides begging and pleading, I don't think there's much you can do. Contracts and contractors come and go. Either start looking for other spots within your current company or at the agency you're working at with other contractors. It could have nothing to do with how qualified you are at your job; the other company may have other employees that need spots and they take priority over you.

Sorry to hear the bad news. I haven't been through this specifically, but former colleagues of mine have, and I've come close to it. Probably the biggest reason I pursued a gov't position.

simchief  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 10:29:27 PM(UTC)
simchief

Normally contract bids contain information on where bidding contractor expects to gain employees, if they are successful bidder.

Contractor's, in my experience, almost always plan to re-hire employees from older/losing contract.

However; there is nothing compelling successful bidder to hire all previous employees.

New contractor has right to hire more or less employees; than previous contractor.

I would recommend direct contact with new contract management, you will have to convince them to hire you, or perhaps find you another position.

It is a shame your employer did not keep you aware of contract re-bid and alert you to possibility of losing contract; you could have been seeking a new job much earlier.

I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
smarterguy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 11:27:43 PM(UTC)
smarterguy

simchief wrote:
It is a shame your employer did not keep you aware of contract re-bid and alert you to possibility of losing contract; you could have been seeking a new job much earlier.
\
This seems standard... from my experience, if the employee wants to know whats going on with the contract, they need to have their ear to the ground; talk to their company boss, program manager, their gov't boss, COR... Everybody. Even other contractors with different companies.
$600ToiletSeat  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:32:10 AM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

We had a similar situation with our last contract changeover. I was picked up by the new company, but one of our most experienced folks and my direct boss were left out.
I was a lead with the old company at the time and I was able to successfully argue that we really needed the experienced person in order to accomplish the mission.
Several of the managers were not picked up. And it didn't help that my former boss was late to the interview. (Added bonus: she had POed a lot of people on the old contract with her 'people skills.')
So, if you have a good relationship with any leads/more senior folks they're going to hire who could vouch for you, I'd pursue talking with them about it.
Good luck.
Sosai X  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:15:25 AM(UTC)
Sosai X

In the 13 years I was a contractor, the incoming company almost always hired the existing employees into the new contract.  It generally works to their advantage to do so, since existing employees know their jobs and have the required certs, etc.  Completely replacing an existing workforce creates disruption in the workplace i would think they would want to avoid.  Though I must say, several times the incoming company did not hire some of the current administrative employees, like front office staff or secretaries.

B-2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:40:44 AM(UTC)
B-2

EXECUTIVE ORDER 13495

When a service contract expires, and a follow-on contract is awarded for the same service, at the same location, the successor contractor or its subcontractors often hires the majority of the predecessor's employees. On some occasions, however, a successor contractor or its subcontractors hires a new work force, thus displacing the predecessor's employees.

The Federal Government's procurement interests in economy and efficiency are served when the successor contractor hires the predecessor's employees. A carryover work force reduces disruption to the delivery of services during the period of transition between contractors and provides the Federal Government the benefits of an experienced and trained work force that is familiar with the Federal Government's personnel, facilities, and requirements.

Therefore, by the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act, 40 U.S.C. 101 et seq., and in order to promote economy and efficiency in Federal Government procurement, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. It is the policy of the Federal Government that service contracts and solicitations for such contracts shall include a clause that requires the contractor, and its subcontractors, under a contract that succeeds a contract for performance of the same or similar services at the same location, to offer those employees (other than managerial and supervisory employees) employed under the predecessor contract whose employment will be terminated as a result of the award of the successor contract, a right of first refusal of employment under the contract in positions for which they are qualified. There shall be no employment openings under the contract until such right of first refusal has been provided. Nothing in this order shall be construed to permit a contractor or subcontractor to fail to comply with any provision of any other Executive Order or law of the United States. Nuke

B-2
$600ToiletSeat  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:28:36 AM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

Thanks for posting that Executive Order. It's too bad it doesn't work for insourcing efforts.
B-2  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:34:45 AM(UTC)
B-2

I'm trying to find something about me having return rights, repromotion back to my old job.Went from WG-11 to a WG-5 (RIF) and went to work for the contractor PT also. Now it looks like the job is going back in house.
B-2
nana25  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:12:24 AM(UTC)
nana25

it sounds like you made more money than the other people. So its more profitable to find someone cheaper so they can keep more of the rate. These companies are just doing accounting. It is not standard for everyone to get picked up. I have seen times where people are given just 2 weeks notice that the company lost the contract. I have also seen people picked up at drastically reduced salaries and benefits. The rates the same, but the new company takes a bigger profit.

Typically if you are onsite and report to government people, you are safe as long as the government people like you. Looks like the government people you work with will tell you do a good job, but will not make an issue of it. Alot of the time, the government people have to approve hiring and firing of contractors when you are onsite. It may not 'technically' be in the contract, but if they want to get more work, they have to do what they are told.

Managers, etc are often not picked up cause the new vendor wants to put their own people in place. This contractor recompete is kind of a joke. The people who work there do the work, the vendors just do accounting and forward checks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed