Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sekonick  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:24:48 AM(UTC)
sekonick

Groups: Registered

Well after being out of work for almost 6 months and working again now for 4. We have just been told that a FURLOUGH is iminent.  Dead Apparently BMF returns are waaaaay down and all us lowly seasonals are getting the boot.
I am not sure how much of this I can really take. My savings has dwindled to almost nothing from the last furlough. Anyone from any other service centers hear any wonderful news of is it just us in Cincinnati?
I would expect that the boom is coming for everyone. IMF sites from what I have seen ( call volumes way down) that your talk is coming in a few weeks too.....

DK

donmack  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:36:24 PM(UTC)
donmack

Theres been no official word yet, but a lot of Managers are saying the Atlanta site might become an all paper site since there is a lot of ID Theft this year and they are overwhelmed.  
dmellow  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:16:31 AM(UTC)
dmellow

It may depend on what job you do as to the slow down. We've been getting overtime taking bal due and account calls. You can do up to 2 hrs a day M-F and we'll probably get full days on Saturdays in April like last year. We were told we would probably be furloughed starting around late June or as late as sometime in August.  I think a good sign is they are offering some accounts training at our site for those who are in line for it. Last year they were about to start and they ran out of money and were on a month to month budget. This year even though the budget has been cut, they know what they are working with and can project out. Hopefully, with the loss of those who have moved on to other jobs and the retirements and retirement buyouts the furlough may not be as rapid or last as long. 
No doubt, it's tough in the job market getting a federal or private sector job. The federal government has been on a hiring freeze with many jobs going unfilled.  A number of the jobs offered have been temporary with low or no benefits. In the private sector, those who can even find a job, have had to take lower level positions, salaries and limited job security. I talk to people all the time on the phone where one or both spouses have lost a job. People are in foreclosure or bankruptcy. It sounds a little depressing but, we have to work with what we have for the moment.
ironman0786  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:57:48 PM(UTC)
ironman0786

Rumor in our POD is this years new hires are getting a 2-3 month
extension (Which would make their season a 6-8/9 month season). They may not be furloughed till July. I believe xrets have picked up, or something. Anyone hear this rumor in their POD?

ironman07862012-04-28 01:51:48
RN94509  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:50:54 PM(UTC)
RN94509

Call volume is down after 3:30 at my POD, but per TP's wait times are still in the Hours.  The rumor is a June/july Furlough

oldmanpgh  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:10:06 PM(UTC)
oldmanpgh

IF YOU ELIMINATE THE TPS WHO JUST FILED THEIR 1040XS LAST WEEK AND ALL THE -R FREEZE CALLERS THERE WOULD BE NO VOLUME... THESE CASES SHOULD BE PROCESSED MUCH MORE QUICKLY... EVEN A SECOND DAY NEW HIRE WOULD KNOW THESE RETURNS ARE BOGUS BUT FOR SOME REASON THEIR PROCESSING IS DRAWN OUT....AFTER THE CNN ID THEFT INTERVIEW PIECE IF THE SERVICE LAYS OFF IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THEY DONT REALLY CARE ABOUT THE ID THEFT ISSUE AND JUDGING BY ALL THE JEWELRY AND THE NEW CARS I SAW ON THAT TV PIECE ONE MIGHT WONDER................Censored
ironman0786  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 5:49:57 PM(UTC)
ironman0786

RN94509 wrote:
Call volume is down after 3:30 at my POD, but per TP's wait times are still in the Hours.  The rumor is a June/july Furlough

Right, even with a low call volume. The original furlough was for May or latest early June. But now it looks like June/July. 
yolie02  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:04:52 AM(UTC)
yolie02

Well right now id theft should last until at least June, and if those cases are not processed correctly possibly some additional people may be needed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed