Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ssmssm  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01:06 AM(UTC)
ssmssm

Groups: Registered

I prefer to live in VA (lower income tax), where to find a cheap apartment(small is fine, as long as it is in a safe area)? I can drive to work or take metro. Not sure about trafic.

Thanks.
edalder  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:53:54 AM(UTC)
edalder

Groups: Registered

Definitely take Metro as Union Station is in the Capitol Hill area of DC and parking is at a premium in Capitol Hill. There's a Metro station right there at Union Station.

When I lived in the Metro DC area (years ago), I lived in both Alexandria and Arlington. There definitely are some "shakey" areas in Alexandria, but also some pretty high class ones. Since my experience is not recent, you probably should not rely totally on my somewhat more favorable assessment of Arlington. Things could have changed a lot in ten years.

Neither area struck me as being particularly "cheap", although compared to rents within DC (in acceptible areas), both areas could look like bargains.

Unfortunately, almost any area within walking distance of a Metro, is going to come at somewhat of a premium in terms of the rent charged. If you were willing to go out a little further, you could drive to a Metro stop and then commute to work. Fairfax and Loundon counties come to mind.

The Metro stops in VA that are closer to DC do not have parking lots unless something has changed in the past ten years.
edalder2012-03-15 14:07:32
Kivi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed