Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lay2012  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:14:19 AM(UTC)
lay2012

Groups: Registered

Just got my approval letter out of the mail box and I'm so excited. The process took a long time in my head out of worrying but it was actually rather fast.
Time line:
-I turned in my disability packet in to HR and received a letter from OPM December 19,2011 with a CSA number.
-I called OPM periodically to see if I was assigned a case worker (202-606-0280/0290). I was assigned on Valentines day Feb. 14th 2012. I read here it could 90-120 days for a decision and marked my calender excluding holidays and weekends, I prepared myself for a long wait. When I called this number the staff was very nice and said They doubted it would take that long.
-Today is March 17, 2012 and I got my approval letter. I should expect Interim payments.
All in all the the waiting is the worse part. I did not have a Lawyer but this site and advice was very helpful in explaing how things work.  Unfortunately, I did not learn about it until after I had applied. Wish I had discovered it prior to submitting my application I would have understood things in the begining but that's ok because  I found a wealth of information here for future knowledge. It kept me encouraged. Now I look forward to concentrating on my health. Hopefully money will come soon. 

tsdlf  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:36:21 PM(UTC)
tsdlf

congrats, that was very fast.  Mine took about 7 months. 
rogerb  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:56:20 AM(UTC)
rogerb

I haven't filed yet but could use some advise. I will be out on workmans comp and will be filing for DR. I have receive a letter from employer stating that they will not be able to accomodate my permanent limited. I have talked to my doctor about this and it seems I may have problems getting the physicians statement. In an attempt to get physicians statements, I am going to write letters to my doctors because I have several issues and have seen different doctors. I also receive VA Disability for a couple of the medical issues I will be including in my request for DR. I would really like someone to walk me through this process and give me advice. Dont want to get a lawyer but will if I need to. Main questions right now are:

What do I include in a letter to my doctors when requesting their assistance?

What all do I include in the packet sent with my DR request?

Should I include my VA disability decisions?

Thanks for any help.

rogerb167@gmail.com 

Cloudy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 3:01:11 AM(UTC)
Cloudy

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you. My process went quickly with out a lawyer ....
Whale wall  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:20:28 AM(UTC)
Whale wall

lay2012, Is there a website you can provide me with on how to apply for OPM disability rather than Opm. Gov. Specifically, the Doctor's narrative, what needs to go into it. And does OPM get medical records or just a medical narrative. Thanks
oktoots  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:06:52 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Whale wall, you should go to this site, as it has a wealth of information on there by Mr. McGill, a lawyer who specializes in Federal DR: www.federaldisabilitylawyer.com Click around the site and he has many articles on the procedures and rules for applying.
multiple identities to 0%
Whale wall  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:33:46 AM(UTC)
Whale wall

Thank you OKTOOTS
snippet  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:11:41 AM(UTC)
snippet

Congratulations!  I am so excited for you and hope my timeline is as quick (and approved).  Good going and enjoy your retirement!
StandStrong  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 12:02:33 AM(UTC)
StandStrong

Congradulations, Like Snippet yours was rather quick. Hope the same for SSDI.
MarineVet  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 12:24:51 AM(UTC)
MarineVet

Another congatulations. It is nice to hear some people are getting there approvals so quickly 4 months is fast. hope the rest  of the process steams right along just as quick.

For the other poster asking for information on the process. please refer to Okoots post for the link to Mr.Mcgills web site(great info) and sit down and read some more of the posts on this forum. it has a wealth of knowledge and alot of your questions might be answered right here in the past. also i personally would include somehow any of you VA claims stuff if it does relate to why you cant work.
my case was totaly related my my VA service connected dissability and it helped alot to get SSDI appoved fast and it turn use the SSDI and Va claims to further my Dr appoval.
ndarmy  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:15:34 AM(UTC)
ndarmy

MarineVet wrote:

Another congatulations. It is nice to hear some people are getting there approvals so quickly 4 months is fast. hope the rest  of the process steams right along just as quick.

For the other poster asking for information on the process. please refer to Okoots post for the link to Mr.Mcgills web site(great info) and sit down and read some more of the posts on this forum. it has a wealth of knowledge and alot of your questions might be answered right here in the past. also i personally would include somehow any of you VA claims stuff if it does relate to why you cant work.
my case was totaly related my my VA service connected dissability and it helped alot to get SSDI appoved fast and it turn use the SSDI and Va claims to further my Dr appoval.
I agree with your insight. I used Harris Federal Law & it too had great info.  My situation sounds very much like yours & it has worked out rather well too.  I suggest you checkout Hadit.com.  There is a treasure trove of info for people such as yourself.
rdj77777  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:22:31 AM(UTC)
rdj77777

My case was similar to yours in that the OPM just approved me May 10th after receiving it March 14th. I received my approval letter May 14th and I too did not use a lawyer. Going forward, what happens now? How long did it take for HRSSC to contact you, and have you received your interium payments yet? Also have you received the form 50 yet? I have read different things on this forum and so I am curious as to your timeline since it is a couple of months before mine. Thank you for any information you can give me.
rain lover  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:50:07 AM(UTC)
rain lover

I am really happy for you! I am at the 11th month of chasing OPM stages of approval now. Just failed the Reconsideration phase and heading to MSPB. I am a totally and perm. disabled military veteran (VA disability rating above 100% disability). I have been injured for years, I just keep trying hard at my job until my disabilities wouldn't allow me to work anymore. I have tons of doctors statements, MRI's, neurologists statements, psychiatrist statements, and letters from co-worker. All detailing that I cannot work, even with accomadation, the basic elements of my job! Still...No go decisions from OPM! Plus, I have a lawyer! From what I am seeing, there really isn't no basic decision process at OPM. I know of a few people that had only one disability issue, didn't use and attorney, and were approved right away! I have mild to severe traumatioc brain injury, PTSD, Migranes, Agoraphobia, panic attacks, back and neck disk disease, sleep apnea with severe insomnia, etc....And heading to level there in this dumb process! Well, wish me luck...
oktoots  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:24:43 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Rain lover, I do wish you all the luck in the world. I just find it astounding that OPM would not approve you even at the reconsideration level with so many conditions and a VA disability rating of 100%. I hope your attorney comes through for you. I don't recall if you were approved for SSDI?
multiple identities to 0%
rain lover  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:44:04 AM(UTC)
rain lover

Thank you! One of the first things I submitted was the multi-page VA decision granting me 100% Service-connected permanent and total disability. If you add up all of my disabilities from the VA, it actually adds up to 150%. My former VA supervisor was a total A$$!! He got fired for discrimination of me and another co-worker, not long after I left. Before he left his supervisors statement said that I was doing fine on the job, except that I am absent on LWOP...I am completly glad to read when people get their DR right away!! Just wish I was in the group that did! I put in yet another request to talk to a supervisor to see if they would here me out...They have until COB Friday 6-15 this time. Two of my co-workers voluntered to write statement supporting that my disabilities were forcing me out of my position. Along with the hundreds of supporting medical docs, I hope it helps! Best wishes and blessings to you all!
rain lover  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:45:24 AM(UTC)
rain lover

oops. SSDI rejected me bc I was still employed and on LWOP. That hasn;t changed.
Snowed  
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:38:23 PM(UTC)
Snowed

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
rain lover-
That is no good reason but they will go back to see that your average income during the last year was below "substantial" earnings. 
March for Justice!
beulah  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 3:44:47 AM(UTC)
beulah

congratulations on your approval.enjoy retirement.
disabledvet  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 9:06:09 PM(UTC)
disabledvet

Wow. Your case sounds bad. I have been waiting for 141 days since it went to OPM. My case got assigned at the beginning of the month (June). I am 70% disabled too. RM is my lawyer. I am all stressed out from the whole process. Why are they rejecting your case? Who is your lawyer?
larry.pearson.norfolk@hotmail.com
I hope my case goes thru. I have doctors notes too. Let me know OK???

Rss Feed  Atom Feed