Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lau2046  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:42:35 AM(UTC)
Lau2046

Groups: Registered

I don't have a set time but at some point by the summer, I'm looking on needing to take six weeks leave for upcoming surgery.  Aside from using annual or sick, are there any other options available to me other than relying on my accrued time? Thank you.

Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:13:40 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

If you don't have enough leave, you could request to become part of the leave donor program and use someone else's leave.  Of course you will need medical documentation to support the surgery and time off.

GSBS  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 8:06:15 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lau2046 wrote:
I don't have a set time but at some point by the summer, I'm looking on needing to take six weeks leave for upcoming surgery.  Aside from using annual or sick, are there any other options available to me other than relying on my accrued time? Thank you.
Isn't that what sick leave is for? Sure they could advance you up to 6 weeks of S/L if you exhausted your leave that you don't want to use. Take your unpaid FMLA leave
spacecowboy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 11:06:34 PM(UTC)
spacecowboy

They won't let you take LWOP if you have annual leave and sick leave available. You can request to be approved to have "donated" leave. But I question the ethics of using donated leave, when you have leave available.
ex-military  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 11:11:26 PM(UTC)
ex-military

spacecowboy wrote:
They won't let you take LWOP if you have annual leave and sick leave available. You can request to be approved to have "donated" leave. But I question the ethics of using donated leave, when you have leave available.
I didnt think you could even get donated leave until your accrued leave had been used up.

I guess I dont understand the premise of the original question.  What other options could you be looking for?  Are you looking for some way to get paid while being off WITHOUT burning your leave?
mtfed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:21:36 AM(UTC)
mtfed

spacecowboy wrote:
You can request to be on the donated leave roster, however, they will not use the donated leave until your Annual Leave and your Sick leave is at zero balance.
I have had to monitor leave usage in my last job and this is direct from the OPM regulations.
jbWink
Fed GS  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:21:17 AM(UTC)
Fed GS

Some agencies will allow you to use up your sick leave the request and approve advance sick leave or go on leave without pay and not use your annual leave, it all depends on your organization.

Donated leave can only be requested if you have no leave. Medical documentation is required.

Check with your agencies HR office and/or look on their website.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed