Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nextpage  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:46:11 AM(UTC)
nextpage

Groups: Registered

OK I've got a hypothetical question for the senior members. If the good old P.O. offered an early out and a person is in the process of waiting for a descision from OPM on a DR file,what would happen?If the P.O. offered you a vera would you have to notify OPM that you wanted to accept it and to forget the DR application? Would OPM send your file(insurance/benefit elections) from the DR section to the regular retirement section or would you have to fill all that out again?I filed for D.R. 8/30/11 got a case worker 9/12/11 and to date I'm still working waiting on a decision(I've used 3wks of S/L&7wks of COP in that time frame).I've met my MRA;I've got 29 yrs in 2 military,27 FERS and I plan on taking the first damn door that opens.Sorry for the venting just wanted to know all the options.
oktoots  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:31:27 AM(UTC)
oktoots

If the PO were to offer an early-out, you must notify OPM, or HRSS, that you wanted to take it and to cancel the DR application. In your case, since you hit your MRA and have 29 yrs, you'd be better off financially anyway, as you would also get the Special SS Retirement Supplement. If you are this close to full retirement, assuming there's no VERA, why would you not wait until you have the full 30 yrs and do a normal retirement
since, in the time it takes for you to be approved and then finalized, you would have 30 yrs. in.  Still, I understand the eagerness to take that first door; I took DR from the PO myself.Dead If you're eligible for regular retirement it's usually financially preferable to DR.

As for the paperwork, since the DR section of OPM is separate from the reg., it's not a given that your benefits paperwork would be transferred. Not sure how that would work. I guess if you take a VERA, that would entail its own filing with the benefits forms. Of course the odds of it being offered, especially with an incentive, is virtually nil.

multiple identities to 0%
nextpage  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:06:29 PM(UTC)
nextpage

Thanks Oktoots!!
CarLaC  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:41:13 AM(UTC)
CarLaC

OK, here is my question similar topic.  I could get out on disability retirement but haven't applied yet because of multiple reason part of which is the VERA/VSIP.  If i applied and got the vera/vsip could I then a few months later apply for medical disability because I understand you have one year from the time you seperate to apply for it after that its just regular social security.  Am I right on this stuff?
oktoots  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 6:21:47 AM(UTC)
oktoots

CarLaC wrote:
OK, here is my question similar topic.  I could get out on disability retirement but haven't applied yet because of multiple reason part of which is the VERA/VSIP.  If i applied and got the vera/vsip could I then a few months later apply for medical disability because I understand you have one year from the time you seperate to apply for it after that its just regular social security.  Am I right on this stuff?

If you have an actual VERA being offered by your agency, you can apply for it and retire. If you decide to apply a few months later for Federal DR, you can do that, with no guarantees of approval. As for the Social Security, you are required to apply for SSDI when you apply for FERS OPM disability retirement. They just need the receipt of your application for SSD as part of the requirements of applying. It's up to you if you want to proceed with the rest of the SSD application process.

multiple identities to 0%
StandStrong  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:14:13 AM(UTC)
StandStrong

Nextpage,

If you retire on a VERA you will receive a buyout amount with 29 yrs. If you retire  with a disability retirement you will begin with monthly annuities and when you reach the age of 62 OPM will recomputed your benefit as an “earned” annuity as if you had worked until age 62, with all applicable salary increases.  Unlike the disability annuity, this “earned” annuity will not be reduced by any social security benefits that you receive. I retired at 56 with 24 years of service with the USPS, so when I reach the age of 62, OPM will recomputed my benefits as if I never left. Also SSDI pays more than SS. Just try to compare both and what will work for you.

nextpage  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:21:20 AM(UTC)
nextpage

standstrong: Thanks for the info
Rss Feed  Atom Feed