Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tspfolio  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:32:24 PM(UTC)
tspfolio

Groups: Registered

Surprise!
Who would have predicted that just three years after the worst
financial crisis since the Great Depression, the TSP C Fund (which invests in large cap stocks) has already recovered its losses:

The
S Fund (small capitalization stocks) reached this milestone a while
ago, and just keeps going up. But markets have not been quite as kind to the I Fund.

What do you think is next for stock markets around the world?

-- TSP Folio <a href="http://www.tspfolio.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.tspfolio.com</a>
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 5:44:32 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

The stock market seems to be a roller coaster.  A few good months or years and then a few bad months or years.  Over the years it has done well with an average increase o about 9% per year over the last 25 years.  Those that have had a steady contribution to the C fund for 25 years have done well.  The large dips in the market is like a super sale for steady contributors. 
The HalfBreed  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 6:43:34 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Uhh, No TSPFolio.

It would have to be over 1550 or so to get BACK to it's original value. To me, we need to get back an additional 10% at these levels.

You're also aware that, if you lose 45% of your balance, you'll have to gain MORE than 45% to get back to square one, right ???

I'm sure you would agree.

Now, why don't you go Hawk your substandard advice elsewhere, or at least PAY for advertising here.

The HalfBreed2012-03-23 14:55:47
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
tspfolio  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 7:19:24 AM(UTC)
tspfolio

Uhh, No HalfBreed.

As we pointed out, the difference is stock dividends. You're aware of stock dividends, right? Thanks for proving the point of this article.

You're probably referring to the CASH value of the S&P 500 index. To real investors in the C Fund, we're back to where we were in 2007. And yes, we're acutely aware of compounding losses and required gains to break even. That's why it took a 123% gain in the C Fund to get back to break even from its 55% loss.

Next time, please check your facts, refrain from frivolous attacks, and lets keep the comments on topic, shall we?

-- TSP Folio <a href="http://www.tspfolio.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.tspfolio.com</a>
The HalfBreed  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 8:16:57 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I have many individual stocks, GE being the most prominent....
Pls don't bother to tell me about dividends, as I purchased almost 2000 shares at under $8.00/share

Many have come back, me included, but not to the extent of my overall losses.

I stand by my original contention....

Get a website, advertise there.
(obviously, your website does not draw enough traffic to generate enough income for you)

This is a forum for employees, not for people/employees hawking their (inadequate) wares.

Try TSPTalk.com & see if you can keep up. And, oh, yea, take your little charts with you.
See if THEY Buy your spin, or kick you to the curb. I'll be watching if you DARE to take that chance.

Nuff Said.

The HalfBreed2012-03-23 18:58:56
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
Fed1969  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:24:14 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Very few, if any, that contributed every pay period to the C fund over the last five year are behind.  True we are still below the highs we had about five years ago, but we had some major dips.  The chart seems to show huge increases for the funds put in about three years ago.
tspfolio  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 3:31:30 PM(UTC)
tspfolio

Yes, anyone who would have practiced "time diversification" (making regular contributions) would be doing even better.

Not sure what the confusion is about the chart. It just shows the value of the C Fund. You can look up the historical prices on tsp.gov:

https://www.tsp.gov/investmentfunds/shareprice/sharePriceHistory.shtml

The C Fund price today is $17.5857, which is above the previous all-time high of $17.57 on 10/9/2007. So we are not below the highs of five years ago... we're now above them.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed