Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SmartGrl  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:44:37 AM(UTC)
SmartGrl

Groups: Registered

What happens if there's a RIF? I'm 6 months into a probationary period for my new job and am a permanent FTE (5 years). When there's a RIF, do the powers that be do it based on each branch or division's budget or is it the agency as a whole? Do performance evaluations weigh in at all? I'd like to find out as much as possible about this because there's been talking about a possible RIF and also a reorganization involving consolidation of services at my agency. Are permanent FTEs protected?

Tryno  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:52:58 AM(UTC)
Tryno

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

If by protected you mean exempted from being cut during a RIF.  NO. 
Fed1969  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:33:38 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Seniority, veterans preference, and job series are the keys in determining who leaves.  With only 6 months into probation, you would probably be one of the first to go if RIFs are in you job series.

Bumping and retreating to other positions could affect you if someone qualifies for your position and have more seniority in another job series, they could take your position, and your are out the door.
SmartGrl  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:17:21 PM(UTC)
SmartGrl

Thanks. I didn't know veterans preference weighed in for this too. I'm not a vet and most of the people in my job series have seniority over me. I don't like my current job but I guess there's an advantage to getting through the probationary period and then accessing the financial situation. Would they usually offer buyouts and go through a furlough before a RIF? How do people bump others? Is that something they do through the union or is it automatic?

Fed1969  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:32:16 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

If the cut is not too big, they try to handle it by attrition.  Buyouts are generally offered to those eligible. 

Bumping is intended to help veterans maintain employment during RIFs at the expense of non-veterans.  The veteran can bump a non-veteran and take their job and the non-veteran gets the RIF notice.  This assumes the veteran is qualified for the other job or can be trained in a reasonable amount of time.

The bumping process is semi-automated.  The computer does the first phase, then HR reviews and verifies this is proper.  Management reviews the proposal and before implementation the union is notified.

TheRealOrange  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:24:52 PM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

SmartGrl wrote:
What happens if there's a RIF?

There is an abundance of information about the RIF rules at this link: http://www.opm.gov/rif/general/rifguide.asp

As noted, the law provides that the RIF regulations must give effect to four retention factors:

1. Tenure of employment (i.e., type of appointment);
  2. Veterans' preference;
  3. Total creditable Federal civilian and uniformed service; and
  4. Performance ratings.

Also, the established competitive area and competitive levels are very important.  It is not an easy topic, but general information is available to learn.

nodog  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:13:49 PM(UTC)
nodog

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I keep hoping that the NAVY will okay a RIF. I'm ready to go and if they have a RIF no matter which command I can trade someone in my series my job for their buyout. BRING IT! I am so over this mess. I don't know if this is what total burn-out is or if it's just a temporary "fed up" with the BS of late, but I just don't know how much longer I can put up with stupid, costly, no value added, worthless, BS that is serving no purpose in the mission.
Fed1969  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:44:59 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

I think the Navy will downsize mainly throughout attrition and buyouts.  This could be limited to certain series and locations.  I expect huge numbers of the next few years.  Most will happen after the election starting in 2013 and 2014.  Obama wants to reduce DOD.
SmartGrl  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:23:08 AM(UTC)
SmartGrl

That page on the RIF is very thorough. Thanks. I saw on there that career employees on probation because of a new appointment are in the same category as career-conditional employees. So, yes my job could be in jeopardy. The other thing is it's a really stressful environment where they have me doing stuff that I know I can't handle long term. If I get another Fed position, I'm taking another chance. There aren't a lot of veterans in my job series, but most people in this job series have seniority over me. At this point, I'm thinking about leaving the Federal government altogether and working for the private sector or for state government. I'm having similar issues to the poster from the Navy.
Enhgineer  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:40:01 PM(UTC)
Enhgineer

For a quick overview see OPM RIF web page at: http://www.opm.gov/reduction_in_force/
The OPM process is governed by the 5 CFR section 351 at: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title05/5cfr351_main_02.tpl
What I found interesting this law section provides for bumping rights only if a person is in the competitive service with permanent tenure. Found on your SF-50 where block 24 = 1 and block 34 = 1. If your block 34 =2 defined as Excepted Service then you have no bumping rights even if block 24 =1.

Disclaimer I am not a Federal Labor Law lawyer so for a precise interpretation see one.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed