Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans." (Source: www4.va.gov/about_va/vahistory.asp)

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
woowoo  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:46:48 PM(UTC)
woowoo

Groups: Registered

What is the Referral Type?

I received an email letter after I interviewed for a position with the following "Referral Type: Former employees eligible for reinstatement and current employees eligible for transfer without competition." I don't remember this being on the Job Announcement when I applied for the job.

I'm a veteran with a greater than 30% disability. Would I have any hiring preference over others if this position is open to everyone, internal and to the public? Can they hire from either list of candidates, ie: 1) veterans and people with special hiring privileges 2)the general public.
There was 2 job announcements but just one position available.Thanks for your help.
YoungFed  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:54:10 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

Unfortunately you aren’t eligible to apply for this position.  It looks like it’s only intended for people within the agency.   You are eligible to apply with preference to VEOA, VRA, and all citizen announcements Good luck with your job search!

YoungFed  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:55:07 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

Its intended for people already working for the Government

YoungFed  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:57:27 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

Just so you know man.  It’s a long road ahead when it comes to applying for positions.  I currently work as a GS and I’m having a hell of a time finding another job.  I too am a 30% disabled vet and the competition is fierce at the moment with individuals just like us
YoungFed  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:59:43 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

Within the past 3 months I’ve applied for 100 positions and I’m waiting and have been referred to several as well as ousted on several but still no word.  Again good luck!  Last consecutive post, I promise! :-)

woowoo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:06:33 AM(UTC)
woowoo

Thank you for your reply. I just want to clarify something. The job I applied for had 2 Job Announcements: One announcement indicated it was open to "US Citizens and Status Candidates" (it did not list exactly the status ie:VEOA,internal candidates, etc. like some announcements). The other announcement indicated it was open to "United States Citizens".

So why would I get a letter (I'm assuming it's the Disposition Letter, it didn't say) with the following? "Referral Type: Former employees eligible for reinstatement and current employees eligible for transfer without competition.

To me this Referral Type does not make any sense because the job was open to basically everyone, status and non status candidates. Are you saying this "Referral Type" means job was only open to employees eligible for reinstatement and current employees eligible for transfer without competition? This information was nowhere on the announcement when I applied for the job. Can they change the hiring conditions (ie: like the Referral Type they sent to me) once the announcements closes?

I appreciate all replies. Thanks.

USAF  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 11:08:02 AM(UTC)
USAF

Give it a rest!  You're not eligible. You were rated IL (ineligible) because its for current agency employees. 30% SC only gets you 10 points anyway. I heard the USPS has openingsLOL
Rss Feed  Atom Feed