Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans." (Source: www4.va.gov/about_va/vahistory.asp)

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
woowoo  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 2:41:57 PM(UTC)
woowoo

Groups: Registered

Isn't the VA suppose to be hiring more veterans this year? I saw and heard something about this by the Secretary of the VA Eric Shinseki during Veterans Day 11/11/2011. I have applied for 4 jobs at the VA within the last 9 months but haven't had any luck getting a job. One job I thought I was sure to get since it was a 2 year degree job and I have a 4 year degree. I think there's some dishonesty going on and inside and illegal hiring. I wonder if it would do any good to file a complaint with EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) or DOL (dept of labor)?
YaFace  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 8:52:32 PM(UTC)
YaFace

If you had any idea of the amount of Veterans who are just applying, it would blow your mind.
Go government!
Knight  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 11:30:39 PM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

From what I understand the VA is about 60% Veteran now. And the non-vets have been there for decades, back when no one wanted to work for the GOV. Many of my military IT counterparts are moving to the VA since the AF is reducing their civilian force.

You can file but I bet every person on the list was a veteran and probably a 10 pointer to boot.
2210again  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:39:37 AM(UTC)
2210again

I have only hired Vets since starting there last year and we are in a push to continue to hire qualified vets over equally qualified non vets. The problem as Knight pointed out is all of the old timers who have been there from when no one wanted to be a fed, they are vets and non-vets who are not held accountable for their poor performance and run to HR when you try to get them to do their job. Most were part of welfare to work and other programs and are vastly unqualified.  
Fed1969  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:18:18 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

woowoo wrote:
Isn't the VA suppose to be hiring more veterans this year? I saw and heard something about this by the Secretary of the VA Eric Shinseki during Veterans Day 11/11/2011. I have applied for 4 jobs at the VA within the last 9 months but haven't had any luck getting a job. One job I thought I was sure to get since it was a 2 year degree job and I have a 4 year degree. I think there's some dishonesty going on and inside and illegal hiring. I wonder if it would do any good to file a complaint with EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) or DOL (dept of labor)?

It seems the VA prefers to hire veterans when possible.
woowoo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:03:33 AM(UTC)
woowoo

You are right about this…………….Most were part of welfare to work and other programs and are vastly unqualified. Why doesn’t the VA implement production standards? This would (I hope) get rid of these type of people.
seminolefan72  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:46:20 AM(UTC)
seminolefan72

The VA IT world is moving to service lines, there will much fewer IT ..SYSADM, NETWORK, and those type of jobs in the near future. The VA is going virtual..green, I guess they will always have CUSTSPT but all in all the VA is going to be downsizing IT as they go to the cloud and virtual and yes the old timers are still there and the good ole boy network is well alive inside the VA.

common sense
YaFace  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:39:03 PM(UTC)
YaFace

woowoo wrote:
You are right about this…………….Most were part of welfare to work and other programs and are vastly unqualified. Why doesn’t the VA implement production standards? This would (I hope) get rid of these type of people.
What production standards do you suggest?
Go government!
Cianhydle  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:51:58 PM(UTC)
Cianhydle

I applied for 800 federal jobs over 2 years before I was given an opportunity -- and that was in 06-07, before the lean times.  Currently the VBA is just over 50% veteran -- up about 3 percent from last year.  The hiring certs are now veteran only.  I haven't seen a non-veteran walk through our door in over 2.5 years.  There is dishonesty and illegal hiring going on, but you shouldn't have to worry about anything, so keep applying and you will eventually be given a job.

coderunner  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 12:53:38 PM(UTC)
coderunner

2210again wrote:

I have only hired Vets since starting there last year and we are in a push to continue to hire qualified vets over equally qualified non vets. The problem as Knight pointed out is all of the old timers who have been there from when no one wanted to be a fed, they are vets and non-vets who are not held accountable for their poor performance and run to HR when you try to get them to do their job. Most were part of welfare to work and other programs and are vastly unqualified.  

You are a national Hero for doing this.  You should be commented.  Highering only Veterans is what you should do.  Only Veterans should be getting highered especially for the VA.  The VA is one of the best federal agencies because it really only highers Veterans.  The problem is not much the old timers working there but the non Veterans who think they should have jobs there. 
USAF  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 2:58:15 AM(UTC)
USAF

Just chill out and take it with a grain of salt. The welfare to work program is the same thing they are doing now to get all the unemployed Veterans a job. Most of the Vets joined because they couldn't get a job in the first place. You're not garenteed a federal job just because you served. You can't have a total Veteran workforce. Back in the late 1980's we had to take a written competative exam and a typing skill test and an examiner would certify our typing speed. Your rating was based on exam scores and Veteran points. We went on a national registery that agencies would hire from as they needed. Then they would interview and we'd wait for the call. The hiring system now is easier to manipulate and get corrupt.
No USAJOBS website that is technically flawed. You actually competed for a federal job and were selected where you best fit in the federal workforce. OPM's national test was similiar to taking the ASVAB, except us Vet's got 5 or 10 bonus points.
It was your choice to go to the recruiter to enter the military and then your ultimate choice to not re-enlist. Now you want the free hand outs. Don't forget about all the nonveteran federal employees that helped secure your military duty time and processed all your military pay and per diems.
Use your GI Bill and associated benefits and move forward.
Before I conclude, also take into account the military retirees that are getting fed jobs and double-dipping. They also create a roadblock.
Scotter  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:12:50 AM(UTC)
Scotter

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
USAF wrote:
Just chill out and take it with a grain of salt. The welfare to work program is the same thing they are doing now to get all the unemployed Veterans a job. Most of the Vets joined because they couldn't get a job in the first place. You're not garenteed a federal job just because you served. You can't have a total Veteran workforce. Back in the late 1980's we had to take a written competative exam and a typing skill test and an examiner would certify our typing speed. Your rating was based on exam scores and Veteran points. We went on a national registery that agencies would hire from as they needed. Then they would interview and we'd wait for the call. The hiring system now is easier to manipulate and get corrupt.
No USAJOBS website that is technically flawed. You actually competed for a federal job and were selected where you best fit in the federal workforce. OPM's national test was similiar to taking the ASVAB, except us Vet's got 5 or 10 bonus points.
It was your choice to go to the recruiter to enter the military and then your ultimate choice to not re-enlist. Now you want the free hand outs. Don't forget about all the nonveteran federal employees that helped secure your military duty time and processed all your military pay and per diems.
Before I conclude, also take into account the military retirees that are getting fed jobs and double-dipping. They also create a roadblock.
Pay no attention. USAF is a fake as exposed here:
Scotter wrote:
YaFace wrote:
Maybe not a troll to the extent of the New Grad tree, but definitely a total liar. Whenever these topics come up, it suspiciously stops posting in the thread. Somewhere it said it was a retired postal worker as well, IIRC.
Many tall tales:
Purple Heart receipient:
USAF wrote:
Blumonster:
What is disturbing is your remarks being expressed. To see someone trying to enter this caliber of law enforcement make such statements 
You have no idea how many Vets you possibly will have as co-workers.
I proudly used my purple heart points when I first entered federal civil service, and will continue to use it. Veterans served their country when no others would.

Working for VHA in October 2011 despite having said VHA is bad DFAS good in Sept:
USAF wrote:
Whit2612:
I work for the VHA and I am a Veteran. What is unreal is they hire retired military members who collect  a retirement check and a federal check... known as "double-dipping"
I applaude your service but at the same time I give it a thumbs down because you denied an unemployed Veteran a chance of employment. You are already retired
I work with several retired military co-workers and they just float around bragging about the good life.
After all your years of military service you chose to spend retirement working.
Have fun serving the unemployed Veterans.
Hopefully Congress passes the new law that will penalize retired military members who now work as federal employees
Working for the VA in 1993 and then over to DoD with 6yrs of combat experience:
USAF wrote:
I started with the VA in 1993 and it was a great experience. After that it has spiralled out of control. Over the years HR has been part of the bad experiences. I transferred from the VHA and was a good move, but VA HR wouldn't release my personnel file, or didn't know how to for over a year. My new agency's (DoD) HR took care of everything and chased down the VA HR which they said was a horrible experience with blame gaming. I now transferred to the VBA and have been greeted with the same unprofessionalism. This is my 24 year civil service anniversary and experienced other federal agencys. VA takes the cake with nepatism, favoritism, and ethical violations. And, I am a 6 year combat Veteran. Is this how the VA treats their Vets let alone their employees?
Hired onto the USPS in 1994:
USAF wrote:
I took the exam back in 1994 and was hired off of it as a PTF. Back then you were hired by score and the scores were broken down to the decimal like I got a 94.17 And, my 5 point Veteran Preference was added to that score. TE is short for Transitional Employee and are hired only to help in a transition. The last big group of TE's were hired when the MPLSM's were being replaced by barcoding machines. Once the transition was done the TE's were let go by attrition. Some lucky ones were converted to PTF's if they accepted vacant PTF positions in any craft in the district.  No vacancies and little seniority you are getting pink slipped and let go.
Remember, you are working for a business that is rightsizing and downsizing. Also, PTF and Regular's can not be laid off and can bump a TE off their assignment. Hence, transition!!!!
27 Sept  2011 Bachelors degree:
USAF wrote:
For GS-5/6/7 I recieved 105 on all three. Scored 100 and got 5 Veteran Preference points. I am also a current federal employee with Bachelor's Degree requesting an inter-agency transfer. This was for Cleveland.  If you are not a Fedral employee you will not qualify for either GS-6 or 7; because, you do not meet the TIG reqirements. Must hold 1 year TIG as a GS-5 then progress from there.... 1 year as a 6 to be a 7. So, you'll only be considered for GS-5 if you have a bachelor's degree or meet other requirements. Education does not count above GS-5.
19 Dec 2011 Masters degree and this time 1 yr combat:
USAF wrote:
NewwGrad:
Maybe you should go to a military recruiter and sign up, instead of whining. I served 6 years, 1 year combat, and have a Masters. Now, I am going onto my 24 year federal career service
If you can't walk the walk, then don't talk. Go Air Force!
Stay with me here - His first fed job was at the Indianapolis VAMC in 1993 as stated in these 2 posts:
USAF wrote:
My first federal job was at the Indy VAMC  After moving around and getting familiar I ended up living in Mooresville, IN. The west side suburbs of Indpls are your safest bet. Carmel and Fishers, IN are very expensive and "yuppy". Alot of the crime is on the south side and up around the east to north east side.
No matter where you live in and around Indpls the traffic gets very congested as this "city in a cornfield"  wasn't designed to adapt to it's growth boom that took place in the early 90's. Indpls soon declined once the Ft. Benjamin Army base closed down preceding the economic downturn.
Plainfield has some State Prisons and the State Juvenile Detention Center. If you are working near the airport your best bets are Avon, Mooresville, and Martinsville. If you like a rural setting Martinsville is the winner on that side.
IN has an excise tax on license plates and the cost depends on your vehicle type and model year.
IN does not recognize out of state drivers license requirements; so, you will have to take a written drivers test to obtain an IN drivers license. You have 6 months to register vehicle and get a drivers license from your move.
Houses are on crawl spaces because below is limestone bedrock. Basements are expensive and flood easily. The soil is nothing but clay. I started out in a northside apt and adjusted nicely.
and 
USAF wrote:
The area around the old Fort was turned into Section 8 housing and crime surrounds DFAS neighborhoods. If you want a stick house on a concrete slab then you're in luck because they're everywhere around Indpls, unless a tornado comes through; which, they do. Indpls crime is high and grew to a peak of 88% of the national average in 2009; and, 2012 is projected to grow to 93%.
Luckily DFAS has a security force but leave that sense of safety you enter the city of decline. Indpls also is filmed on COPS episodes.
Since I transferred and moved out of IN, I do miss the hospitality and rural setting we lived in. But will never miss the the city of Indpls itself. Heck, back in 1995 the state police did a car chase with an Indpls city police officer in his police car! The police chase shut down I465. If the police are chasing each other in their police cars it's a bad sign.
If you are looking for congestion, yuppy, snobby, high property tax, and overpriced slab homes then consider Fishers, Castleton, and Carmel.
Martinsville is worth the 30 minute drive to escape the Indpls grasp. Mooresville and Avon are the next best choices.
Best thing for you right now is to take a week off and visit the city and judge for yourself. Everyone has their own opinion. My opinion is based on moving to Indpls in 1993 to leaving it in 2006. So you are getting a similiar outside viewpoint rather than a "root view".

Here he implies he has been with the VA for 23yrs;
USAF wrote:
There is no such thing as a hardship transfer. The big push now is to hire unemployed Veterans, so you're competing with that. Your husband is a contractor and not a federal employee. Pretty risky on both of you. You transfer and his contract is cancelled or not renewed. Maybe he should start applying for a permanent gov't job. In my 23 year career I've transfered to several different VAMC's and each time I applied and competed. But, it did help that I made VA connections along the way. Remember, you occupy a competative appointment/position. If your heart is set to stay with the VA you're limited. Look at other agencies and apply for their vacancy's. Keep in mind, you're on the bottom of the target group if not a Veteran.

Has 16yrs with the USPS and transferred to DoD:
USAF wrote:
T6 city carrier for 16 years with the USPS and transferred to DoD, and was selected as a status candidate Oh wait, I did have more than any postal employee will ever have. A college degree

In 2008 went from a city carrier to a USPS sales ans service associate:
USAF wrote:
I cross-crafted from city carrier to SSA in 2008. Of the 17 in our class 8 passed! Then the graduates go to 1 week of OJT training before you qualify. SSA-Window Clerk

Scotter
Scotter2012-04-07 11:18:53
coderunner  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:04:06 AM(UTC)
coderunner

USAF wrote:

The welfare to work program is the same thing they are doing now to get all the unemployed Veterans a job. Most of the Vets joined because they couldn't get a job in the first place.

No Honorable Veterans would say this about Veteran.  If your Honorable in this Country you will give a Veteran a job not because they need a job but because every Veteran deserves any job they want. 
martyb  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:53:52 AM(UTC)
martyb

You are a troll....no surprise there.
Forum trolls to 0%
oktoots  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:59:16 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Has Coderunner highered any honorable veterans? All I can say is, look whose backWacko. And he still can't spell. He should be commented for that.LOL  At least we got rid of Max/Grieveit. oktoots2012-04-07 17:05:18
multiple identities to 0%
USAF  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 12:14:14 PM(UTC)
USAF

Scotter, You can't handle the truthClap I have an education, military, and federal career you couldn't possibly fathom.
As a Veteran I wanted one sure thing to be guaranteed, "Pride"Thumbs Up I didn't expect my country to hand me a job on a silver platter because I chose on my own to do my duty as a citizen. There was no draft. I joined and seperated on my own choice.
For that, I earned pride! Not a job.
"Aim High" and "Be all you can be"
Scotter  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 9:31:47 PM(UTC)
Scotter

USAF wrote:
Scotter, You can't handle the truth I have an education, military, and federal career you couldn't possibly fathom.
As a Veteran I wanted one sure thing to be guaranteed, "Pride" I didn't expect my country to hand me a job on a silver platter because I chose on my own to do my duty as a citizen. There was no draft. I joined and seperated on my own choice.
For that, I earned pride! Not a job.
"Aim High" and "Be all you can be"
The reason I can’t fathom it is because it is not real. You have no truths.  You have been exposed as a liar and a fraud.
You had no military service, you have no federal service, and you have no education.  You don’t know what pride in your country is other than what you watch on movies and TV
Give it up USAF. 

Scotter
oktoots  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 11:27:59 PM(UTC)
oktoots

This guy USAF sounds like a real Baron Munchausen, lol. www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Munchausen
  Even the Baron couldn't come up with some of this "vet's" whoppers.oktoots2012-04-08 07:34:42
multiple identities to 0%
Righty  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 11:44:22 PM(UTC)
Righty

Interesting the VA has always had a quota for hiring vets....like everyone else depending on the circumstances the vets do have to sometimes go through the typical hiring process. I have seen vets hired without going the typical hiring process too, I think it all depends on the particular job, education, skills etc...and knowing how to produce a great resume ! And who has the final say in the hiring process from the Director down to the first-line supervisor.!

Not all non-vet employees are from way back when....and not all are from the welfare to work days also. I have experience many vets and non-vets who should not be there !

As with every administration change beckons a difference in all things in the VA...good luck to all I am finally retired and a very happy non-vet employee who racked up many performance awards in my day and proud of it ! 

Scotter  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 08, 2012 12:15:34 AM(UTC)
Scotter

USAF wrote:
It was your choice to go to the recruiter to enter the military and then your ultimate choice to not re-enlist. Now you want the free hand outs. Don't forget about all the nonveteran federal employees that helped secure your military duty time and processed all your military pay and per diems.
USAF doesn’t know anything about taking an exam in the 80s as stated above.  Here are 2 posts that said it didn’t start fed service in the 90s at 2 different agencies in 1993 and 1994.  Now keep in mind that in 1993 he was at the VA moved over to DoD all the while he was at the USPS for 16 yrs from 1994 and also moved over to DoD:
USAF wrote:
I started with the VA in 1993 and it was a great experience. After that it has spiralled out of control. Over the years HR has been part of the bad experiences. I transferred from the VHA and was a good move, but VA HR wouldn't release my personnel file, or didn't know how to for over a year. My new agency's (DoD) HR took care of everything and chased down the VA HR which they said was a horrible experience with blame gaming. I now transferred to the VBA and have been greeted with the same unprofessionalism. This is my 24 year civil service anniversary and experienced other federal agencys. VA takes the cake with nepatism, favoritism, and ethical violations. And, I am a 6 year combat Veteran. Is this how the VA treats their Vets let alone their employees?
And
USAF wrote:
I took the exam back in 1994 and was hired off of it as a PTF. Back then you were hired by score and the scores were broken down to the decimal like I got a 94.17 And, my 5 point Veteran Preference was added to that score. TE is short for Transitional Employee and are hired only to help in a transition. The last big group of TE's were hired when the MPLSM's were being replaced by barcoding machines. Once the transition was done the TE's were let go by attrition. Some lucky ones were converted to PTF's if they accepted vacant PTF positions in any craft in the district.  No vacancies and little seniority you are getting pink slipped and let go.
Remember, you are working for a business that is rightsizing and downsizing. Also, PTF and Regular's can not be laid off and can bump a TE off their assignment. Hence, transition!!!!
USAF wrote:
T6 city carrier for 16 years with the USPS and transferred to DoD, and was selected as a status candidate Oh wait, I did have more than any postal employee will ever have. A college degree

Scotter
Rss Feed  Atom Feed