Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
carrierx  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:26:42 AM(UTC)
carrierx

Groups: Registered

Does anyone know what steps i should take or what site to visit to transfer from letter carrier to possibly IRS or other government agency?
skipper2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:53:06 AM(UTC)
skipper2

usajobs.gov
dhacker56  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:15:12 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

You can not transfer from the USPS to another agency.  You must go through the external hiring process.

merlinrune  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:47:33 AM(UTC)
merlinrune

Postal employees can transfer to other governement agencies.  Just in this area alone, there have been two postmasters transfer to two different government agencies.

Prior to filing my EEO complaint against the USPS, I was on my third round of interviews with another government agency and I have worked for the USPS fov over 30 years.  The other agency knew it and said that it was not a problem to transfer.
dhacker56  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:02:48 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

merlin -  you better look again.  the only way a USPS employee can land a job with another gov't agency is through the external hiring process.  NO transfers

RandallEW  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:27:01 AM(UTC)
RandallEW

You do keep your annual leave, sick leave, etc., so you get some benefits over most people, but yeah - external hire.
USAF  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:47:18 AM(UTC)
USAF

You can apply as a federal employee, but you have to be a career federal employee. Therfore, RCA, PSE, and TE's can not apply on USA Jobs.com as status employees.
If you are a career USPS employee you can apply as a Status Candidate authorized by 39 U.S.C. 1006.
I applied in 2008 to another agency and was accepted as a status candidate transferClap Keep in mind, federal agencies do not recognize the postal pay grades. But all your federal time and leave balances transfer with you.
Here is an awesome link on appointing authority regulations that guide status employees. Bottom of the page explains how postal employees can apply to other agencies.
RandallEW  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:34:32 PM(UTC)
RandallEW

I haven't seen anything that states that postal employees are considered to be status candidates.  39 U.S.C. 1006 states that they may "transfer to any other position in the Postal Service or the executive branch of the Government of the United States for which they are qualified", but if the position requires status, I don't think they are qualified.  At least, if status is now granted to postal employees, that's new.  I've been Googling for a while without finding confirmation.
GSBS  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:09:00 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Miscellaneous Authorities Not Regulated by U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

What follows is a partial list of appointing authorities authorized by statutes outside of title 5 U.S.C.  Because OPM does not regulate these authorities, they do not appear in 5 CFR.  For a description of these authorities, agencies should consult the cited statutes.

Using these authorities, an agency may appoint an eligible individual to any position for which the person meets the qualification standard and other requirements governing appointment to the competitive service, except the individual is not required to compete in a competitive examination.  Nor is the individual required to compete with career and career-conditional employees under internal merit staffing procedures unless an agency's policies require the individual to do so.  The agency must verify applicant eligibility.  To determine whether an appointee must serve probation, see 5 CFR Part 315, Subpart H.  To determine when an appointee acquires career tenure, see 5 CFR Part 315, Subpart B.

Postal Career Service Employees

Authorities:  (39 U.S.C. 1006)

Postal Rate Commission Employees

Authorities:  (39 U.S.C. 3604(e))

Government Accountability Office (GAO) Employees

Authorities:  (31 U.S.C. 732(g))

Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts Employees

Authorities:  (28 U.S.C. 602, Public Law 101-474)

RandallEW  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:52:03 PM(UTC)
RandallEW

My understanding is that if the position was posted using the hiring authority listed above, then a postal employee could apply.  That does not mean (in my mind, anyway) that postal employees are considered to be status employees.  That's why the two hiring authorities are listed separately on that page at OPM.
dhacker56  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:02:09 PM(UTC)
dhacker56

You guys can tell USAF that all you want he'll never admit he is in error.

RandallEW  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:06:42 PM(UTC)
RandallEW

I see.  This is the first I've browsed the postal forums in over a year, so I'm not familiar with the reputation of the posters.  We're dealing with our own "strong-willed" posters over in New Hire and Federal Career Planning   Wink
USAF  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:32:07 AM(UTC)
USAF

Doesn't matter unless you are career or career-conditional having served probation. RCA, PSE, and TE's are not career so they carry no status. They aren't even protected under a RIF.
RandallEW  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:13:14 AM(UTC)
RandallEW

At the suggestion of counsel, I must cease participation in this discussion.  I bid you good day.  Big smile
dhacker56  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:02:21 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

USAF-  Postal career employees would have NO advantage over the general population!!!

USAF  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:43:17 AM(UTC)
USAF

T6 city carrier for 16 years with the USPS and transferred to DoD, and was selected as a status candidateClap Oh wait, I did have more than any postal employee will ever have. A college degreeLOL 
postalvet  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:33:44 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

USAF wrote:

Oh wait, I did have more than any postal employee will ever have. A college degree 

bragging about it makes you look stupid!LOL
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
spence  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:57:20 PM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Forgive me for the intrusion, but my reading makes me agree with USAF and disagree with dhacker on this.  Being a postal career employee gives you noncompetitive appointment eligibility to another federal agency, which is an advantage over the general population because you can apply for status announcements. 

Note there are status announcements such as this one where Postal is specifically mentioned as another special appointment authority like the Peace Corps: http://www.usajobs.gov/G...ob/ViewDetails/311706300 ... Just because other announcements are not so exhaustive in listing appointment eligibilities, doesn't mean the eligibility isn't there.  I think if you have this eligibility and you are qualified and interested in a certain position, you should apply unless something specifically prevents you from applying such as a clear statement that only internal employees in an agency can apply, or only those with listed eligibilities can apply where Postal is clearly not listed or implied.

spence2012-03-28 22:23:27
RandallEW  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:05:41 PM(UTC)
RandallEW

Agreed, spence - I don't know the limititations on using certain hiring authorities for a given position, but one clearly exists for postal employees (and others).  I was just skeptical about the claim that postal employees ARE status candidates.

FYI, I transfered to the DoD after 20 years with the USPS under a now defunct internship program (FCIP).  When I was first hired, I was told I was qualified to receive saved grade pay.  For a time, I was paid as a GS-12 (full performance level) even though the position started at a GS-7.  After a while, someone else at HR caught the error, and I had to pay back every cent that I was overpaid.  My point is that HR workers can make significant mistakes, and believing that postal employees deserve consideration for competitive positions could be one of them.
dhacker56  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:14:04 PM(UTC)
dhacker56

USAF wrote:

T6 city carrier for 16 years with the USPS and transferred to DoD, and was selected as a status candidateClap Oh wait, I did have more than any postal employee will ever have. A college degreeLOL 

Could it be also that you were a Veteran?  Bingo!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed