Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vinny  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:02:43 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Groups: Registered

The IRS has announced the first of many entry level positions that are open in the Tax Exempt / Government Entities (TE/GE) Division. TE/GE is currently seeking applicants nationwide to join as an entry level Revenue Agent. There are 25 openings nationwide.

25 vacancy(s) in the following locations:
Mesa, AZ, US
Phoenix, AZ, US
Sacramento, CA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
Denver, CO, US
Washington, DC, US
Atlanta, GA, US
Chicago, IL, US
Baltimore, MD, US
Boston, MA, US
Saint Paul, MN, US
Charlotte, NC, US
Greensboro, NC, US
Cincinnati, OH, US
Pittsburgh, PA, US
Knoxville, TN, US
Dallas, TX, US
Burlington, VT, US
Montpelier, VT, US
Richmond, VA, US

An Internal Revenue Agent (IRA) conducts examinations of entities including individuals, sole proprietorships, small corporations, partnerships, and fiduciaries that may involve a number of separate tasks or procedures. In this position, you will use your professional knowledge and skill in accounting and auditing techniques and practices to examine various tax returns, determine the correct tax liability, identify situations with potential for understated taxes, and to recognize potential fraud.

Applicants may apply online at USAJOBS.gov. Please ensure applicants have read the requirements carefully and submit all of the required documentation requested. If anyone has any questions, they are more then welcome to call or e-mail me directly at anytime.

To apply for the position, students can visit the USAJOBS website at: http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/312813500

If you have questions contact Steve Mindel, Recruiting Agent, IRS Recruitment Office (Illinois / Wisconsin) at (630) 432-3987 or at ilwirecruitment@irs.gov.Vinny2012-04-02 09:31:28
brian76  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:43:15 AM(UTC)
brian76

Thanks Vinny for keeping us informed!
gemini  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:58:36 AM(UTC)
gemini

Yes Thank you very much.
angelfire213  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:59:45 AM(UTC)
angelfire213

Is it just college students? I used to work as an RA before and I am applying for a 9/11.

wish me luck
Vinny  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:19:21 PM(UTC)
Vinny

angelfire213 wrote:
Is it just college students? I used to work as an RA before and I am applying for a 9/11.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

wish me luck

No, not just for students. In fact, the original message I received from the recuiter was recently revised, so I updated my post. Applications are not limited to students.
angelfire213  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 1:31:51 AM(UTC)
angelfire213

what happened to this forum? back in the day, people used to update every 5 mins! But that was 2010!!! I hope other applicants find it because it was definitely a way to share good information.
maxmiller  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:57:02 AM(UTC)
maxmiller

Just got an email at work yesterday informing me that SB/SE is also going to announce a total of about 135 entry level RA / TCO positions in April.  They will be on both the COL and usajobs. 

So much for no hiring or promotions in FY2012!

Clap 

brian76  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:58:28 PM(UTC)
brian76

maxmiller wrote:
Just got an email at work yesterday informing me that SB/SE is also going to announce a total of about 135 entry level RA / TCO positions in April.  They will be on both the COL and usajobs. 

So much for no hiring or promotions in FY2012!

Clap 

That's good news!  Very surprising as well!
brian76  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 2:55:50 AM(UTC)
brian76

angelfire213 wrote:
what happened to this forum? back in the day, people used to update every 5 mins! But that was 2010!!! I hope other applicants find it because it was definitely a way to share good information.

This forum is great, I've found a lot of info over the last few years! There just hasn't been much to talk about lately, hopefully that will change a bit now.
taxman  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 12:28:45 AM(UTC)
taxman

Almost missed out on this, thanks for posting.   Wondering if the environment has changed to where I may have a  shot to get on board again.  They don't really have anything in my preferred location, but they do have one a few hours away so I will just try to make do if I do get hired.  

The forum was slow over 2011 due to the lack of hiring, I'm hoping this will get things going here again.  
xine  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 1:24:16 AM(UTC)
xine

There's at least one opening in my current city, but I'm willing to relocate to more than a few of the cities on that list! Keeping my fingers crossed that my experience, education, and disabled vet status will help me bubble to the top for one of these opportunities. I could really use this kind of opportunity!

SCTax  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 9:14:29 PM(UTC)
SCTax

Any of you who are the fence about being a TCO should think hard and long.  The job SUCKS!!!    Apply to be an RA if you qualify.  If the IRS posts TCO jobs in April, beware...  If you just need to get in and use it as a stepping stone, I completely understand because that is exactly what I did.  But being a TCO was one of the worst working years of my life!!!
xine  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:35:00 PM(UTC)
xine

Just received the "you're tentatively qualified" message! I guess the IRS only has 2.5 months to get people lined up for the June 18 start date, so they're blazing through them! Woohoo!
taxman  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:40:33 PM(UTC)
taxman

That start date seems way too optimistic to me, but maybe since this is a relatively small hire they will move a little faster.   

I assume I'll probably have to do the assessment again.  Think this will be the 3rd time now.  
xine  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:46:26 PM(UTC)
xine

I thought it seemed pretty quick, too, but ya know, I won't complain!

I thought the assessment results were saved for a year? How long after the initial email do you think I'll see the email to take the assessment? And lastly...three times? Why do you think you haven't been picked up from the other two?
ashaber  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:14:23 AM(UTC)
ashaber

Is it only a year? I thought it was longer for some reason. I think I last took it about a year and a half ago. I also got my "you're tentatively qualified" email. Hopefully we hear something soon! ashaber2012-04-04 08:20:18
taxman  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:15:45 AM(UTC)
taxman

I don't think I took the assessment last year, but maybe I did---can't remember, I might have taken it for one of the announcements last year that they cancelled.  

I haven't been picked up because I haven't had a lot of options as far as POD, and I think the ones I've picked have not had a lot of openings.   The competition has been pretty tough.  I'm not really expecting it this go round either, but I'm applying to a somewhat bigger city than I have in the past so there might be more slots available.   

I think in the past it's usually taken about a month for them to do the assessment, but I can't remember if there's another step before that.  It's usually been a month between each part of the process, but no way that will work within this current timeframe.

I just hope they don't end up cancelling it.
GemiGem00  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:24:58 AM(UTC)
GemiGem00

I also received 3 emails stating that I tentatively meet the requirements. I hope I can get an interview this time, but it would really suck if the start date is 6/18 because I will be in Orlando from the 21st to the 26th (already booked). I also don't remember my score from the test.

Usually the test information is on the announcement, but this time its not. I'm wondering why....
taxman  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:33:02 AM(UTC)
taxman

I remember it taking a while to get from Notice of Results to the assessment stage.  
xine  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 1:26:22 AM(UTC)
xine

I ended up with 5 emails, since two were amendemnts to include the Grade. (I HATE when I have days like that..."Please see the information in this email...which I forgot to include. GRRRRRR!")

I can't imagine the assessment taking a month since there's only a 2.5 month window. Or maybe I should say I really HOPE it won't take a month :)

I was reading another thread on RAs, and it looks like training is "out of town". Anyone know where this may be? I'm in Texas, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to leave my house unattened for a month at a time and find a place for my child to stay, too. Anone have any ideas on this one?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed