Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
yale80  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:34:55 AM(UTC)
yale80

Groups: Registered

If the Supreme Court overturns the health care law COMPLETELY in June, what happens the health benefits for children under age 26 in the Federal Gov’t?   I am assuming nothing happens in 2012 but will it automatically revert back to age 22 in 2013??    Whose decision is this??

GoHuskers  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:19:42 AM(UTC)
GoHuskers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The individual insurance companies would still be free to offer policies that cover children through age 26, they just wouldn't be required by law to do so. I would suspect that most companies would continue any such policies that are already in force.
dhacker56  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:25:12 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If they do they better lower the premiums for us that do not have "kids" that age!!

Kathi52  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:42:14 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

I am not so sure GoHuskers as I heard twice today (once on the news and once again on the radio), that the entire bill would have to be dismantled. I hear you dhacker and completely agree!
dhacker56  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:44:29 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Husker is correct that the current contract would remain in effect but next open season it would need some changing.

Kathi52  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 12:08:02 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

Chances are very good that in the event the U.S. Supreme Court strikes down the Affordable Care Act, that most provisions in the Act - including the provision allowing federal employees to keep their adult children age 22 to 26 on their FEHB health insurance plans - will be struck down. The result would be that Federal employees and annuitants would be able to keep children age 22 and younger on their FEHB plans.

What did I say yesterday? Ed Z. just answered this!
yale80  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 7:56:50 PM(UTC)
yale80

Couple Comments..

• Covering children to age 26 has been in effect already for everyone in the county (gov’t or not) for 2011 and 2012. 

• You are correct, if the “whole” Law is shot down; this section will get shot down…. Along with the Medicare donut hole provisions, Medicare prescription discounts, pre-existing conditions, elimination of lifetime and yearly benefit limits, and everything else which already went into effect.    However, there is the possibility that the court will only shoot down part of the law…especially since some parts already went into effect.   Even though the Supreme Court most likely decided these things yesterday, we’ll have to wait until June for the ruling.
yale80  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 8:34:00 PM(UTC)
yale80

Just one more comment…   I know Ed Z. replied that it would be age 22 and younger.  Implying that a dependent age 22 could stay on the parent’s health care until he/she reached age 23.   However, that is not how it was before the law took effect.  Previously, when a child “turned” 22, they were dropped from coverage.   So it use to be age 21 and younger were covered….  At age 22 you were dropped.

Kathi52  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:31:58 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

Age 22 AND younger means just what it says. There is no age 23 about it. :) I don't use Part D as most Feds don't require it. I don't receive Medicare prescription discounts either. As for pre-existing conditions, it was in our plans PRIOR to Obamacare. Yes, it is true that it is a possibility. Anything is always a possibility. :)
dhacker56  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:53:17 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Kathi  it ends when they reach their 22nd birthday.  Generally they have 30 days after that.  I think.  Been a while.

Kathi52  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:01:54 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

Right, that's what I meant. I don't remember a 30 day rule because it has been many years since my own daughter came off of mine. But you are probably right. What we did was to have a BC/BS policy lined up right away that she could afford.
dhacker56  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:15:43 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

My son turned 26 last July 12 and he was covered until Aug 11

yale80  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:03:10 AM(UTC)
yale80

Thanks for the clarification.   It sounds like it was actually 21 and younger were covered.  

The comment was made that “As for pre-existing conditions, it was in our plans PRIOR to Obamacare.”   For the future, all bets are off.   If the whole law is struck down, the pre-existing condition clause is also struck down by the Supreme Court.  The government does not have to leave the pre-existing clause out of their policies as they did in the past.  This will give the the government the opportunity to put it in.  The government probably will keep the pre-existing clause out but most health care plans have been putting that clause in their health plans (until the law was passed in 2010).  Heck, they can now say the Supreme Court backs them.  We will have to wait and see.   There is a big drop in cost if the pre-existing clause is in the health care plan.   Big drop.    My guess is that all group plans will have the clause if the law is overturned.

Kathi52  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:33:33 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

yale80, you might ask Ed that question. But my belief is this. Yes, the pre-existing clause was part of Obamacare. I think you may be trying to meld the two together. But as of right now the FEHBP is separated out from Obamacare unless, down the road, they decide to open it up. The only thing new that was added to the FEHPB plans was the 26 year old law. As one of the Justices alluded to, since the law was presented as a package, then it would go down as package. The pre-existing clause that was already in the FEHBP was not in that package. In other words, it would remain in our own plans because the FEHBP is not being argued/debated; Obamacare is. But I would verify that with Ed. My guess is that entire law will be struck down. But I could also be very wrong. If not that, I tend to believe they may shoot the entire thing back and have the powers that be revamp it. For now, it is really anyone's guess what may occur.
Kathi52  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:56:30 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

Here is what I am really saying. Now, again if the FEHBP were opened up and/or combined with Obamacare, then I could see the reason for your concern. My own personal opinion is that the FEHBP should never, ever be opened up as the federal government was NOT the general public or uninsured's EMPLOYER. But if they want to use it as a model, I have no problem with that.

FEHB does not exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions, and it provides similar coverage after the employee retires from his government position if he has been enrolled for at least five years.

Read more: Federal Government Employee Health Care Options | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list...tions.html#ixzz1qnwiIqeT
68gto  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 6:30:42 AM(UTC)
68gto

Here's a good FAQ at OPM that addresses some of these questions wrt FEHB:

http://www.opm.gov/insure/archive/health/qa/qa.asp?family

68gto2012-04-02 14:37:34
dhacker56  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 9:10:32 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

yale-- actually when one has their 22nd birthday they are starting their 23rd year.

FEHB has always had pre-existing clause Obamacare did not add that to fEHB.  If it wiped out the only changes that would take place as of now are the 26 year old clause.  

dhacker562012-04-02 17:18:39
The HalfBreed  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:28:58 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

And let's not forget about Lifetime benefits.
Get sick, or worse, once you hit that magic number....

Good Bye ! 

Everyone seems to avoid the fact that, indeed, current and previous Insurance providers have a list of what is allowed, or not. That's the same as what is referred to as "Death Panels", for those that want to go there.

Insurance providers will stop spending 85-90% on it's patients (part of O'Romney Care), and may return to higher profit margins, lowering that percent spent on patients....

The HalfBreed2012-04-03 18:38:08
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed