Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
laughterjones  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:48:08 AM(UTC)
laughterjones

Groups: Registered

I'm an 1102 and will be applying for overseas jobs hopefully in the next few months.

However, I've heard conflicting reports about the potential competition for these positions. One is, hardly any applicants as people don't want to replant themselves again and again. The other is that competition is high and you probably need a good DoD background as well.

Does anyone have a good handle on if jobs overseas have high competition? Any stories or stats? Thanks.

Window Clerk  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:29:58 AM(UTC)
Window Clerk

What's an 1102?

grieveit  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:42:45 AM(UTC)
grieveit

yes
simchief  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:42:19 AM(UTC)
simchief

1102 is contracting series; if you are qualified, have your certificates, you should be in running for an overseas job.
Overseas contracting can be challenging, some places are better than others, big difference between Germany and Afghanistan.
With State Department rotation rules, so called five-year rule, there is a steady turnover of personnel.

good luck
I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
ldas1  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 2:12:11 AM(UTC)
ldas1

Hi Jones -

I too have been searching for overseas positions for quite some time, but actively since Jan 2012.  I have been collecting many automated "you have been referred to hiring official" status emails, and so far, 1 phone interview.

I too wonder what the completition if like for overseas jobs, and "wearing a selecting official hat", I have to admit that there are many advantages for selecting a candidate from the geographical location rather than waiting months for passport (blue/red), VISA, PCS, ... for the new hire to arrive.  Not to say, the potential for culture shock and other factors associated with the inability for a face-to-face interview at the actual job location prior to committing to a sea of red-tape and command-funded PCS costs.

Jordpa  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 2:20:52 AM(UTC)
Jordpa

I was selected for an overseas job but bogged down by the long wait to transfer clearance.  My job is a temporary two/three year assignment in the middle east.  

laughterjones  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 4:13:14 AM(UTC)
laughterjones

Ladies/Gents - thanks for the replies. I know sitting on the other side of the HR department can sometimes be frustrating. Good to know we have company.

Anyway, thanks again, and good luck to everyone.
kijana  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 7:15:37 AM(UTC)
kijana

@laughterjones: I'm an 1102 myself and have been trying to get a Germany assignment for a while now at the GS-11 grade, without much success. The closest I came was last week when after receiving the standard HR email that I had been found qualified and forwarded to the selecting official, the selecting official actiually emailed me. Unfortunately, it was to inform me that PCS and LQA entitlements had been withdrawn, and to ask if I was still interested in the position. My first reaction was to answer no, but my instincts got the better of me and I said yes I would still be interested even without the said entitlements. I did this for two reasons:

1. I figured they couldn't just take major entitlements off an announcement unless their budget had ben unexpectedly cut or they had a person already in-country that they wanted to give the job to, but had to get me to officially decline first. In any case, I believe OPM requires that the position be re-announced as a Local Commuting Area Only position.

2. With regard to LQA & Post Allowance, I had read that Tyler v. United States, 600 F.2d 786, 788-89 (Ct. Cl. 1979), Zervas v. United States, 28 Fed. Cl. 66, 68 (1993), Boston v. United States, 43 Fed. Cl. 220, 221, 227 n.9 (1999), among other case law settled the issue of entitlements for U.S. federal employees working overseas (finding that these type of allowances, based on a DOSSR regulation that interprets the statutory phrase "may be granted when applicable," is mandatory once the employee has fulfilled the conditions which make the allowance applicable to his or her employment overseas), in other words, Living Quarters & Post allowances are not discretionary once a federal employee meets the specified requirements of the DOSSR regulation.

In my response, I politely asked the hiring official why the entitlements were being cancelled, and whether they were going to be re-announcing the position. Although days later she did say that the original announcement was being cancelled and replaced with one without PCS and LQA, I'd bet money that they did not intend to originally, until I raised the questions I did. Otherwise why would they email me to ask if I'd still be interested even without PCS & LQA?

All the same, I'm coming up to 52 weeks as a GS-11 and should now technically be able to apply to GS-12 positions, which tend to have more opportunities compared to GS-11 spots. Having said that, I suspect that my last experience above doesn't bode well for those of us in CONUS competing for overseas positions; I say this because budget issues within all Services and DoD agencies give these organizations reason to hire locally by making exemptions to the 5 year rotation rule. I predict that we'll begin to see a rise in "Local Commuting Area Only" announcements that disqualify all of us in CONUS from applying. I hope I'm wrong!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed