Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

13 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dr.edge13  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:15:03 PM(UTC)
dr.edge13

Groups: Registered

Hopefully we'll receive good news this month.
cisomeday  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 1:42:34 AM(UTC)
cisomeday

Since the next class (hopefully) is the in the begining of June, the calls will probably go out this month.  My bet is April 24th they will start.

Scout, any word on the remaining classes?
KCCO
TDCK  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 3:45:26 AM(UTC)
TDCK

cisomeday wrote:
Since the next class (hopefully) is the in the begining of June, the calls will probably go out this month.  My bet is April 24th they will start.

Scout, any word on the remaining classes?

For what its worth... I emailed my mentor about possible class cancellations and he told me he was hearing that they were still on.  So it is not all doom and gloom.
2009 External candidate,
Still waiting...
Scout0315  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 5:20:46 AM(UTC)
Scout0315

No official change to the class schedule. Big smile

"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
cisomeday  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 5:26:25 AM(UTC)
cisomeday

Scout0315 wrote:

Mahalo Scout
KCCO
TDCK  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 6:05:59 AM(UTC)
TDCK

Scout0315 wrote:

Great to hear!

Thanks, Scout!
2009 External candidate,
Still waiting...
rainking888  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 6:53:00 AM(UTC)
rainking888

Thanks for the update Scout. I'll be much happier next week (within 60 days of class) when it's " Officially no change to the class schedule". Just sayin'. 
Zapada  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 7:10:43 AM(UTC)
Zapada

I am with you rainking.   I am not buying my plane ticket quite yet.  This is going to be a long week of checking the board.  I have heard rumors on both ends of the conversation.  I like all the talk of trainers being prepared but I also have heard that all classes for 2012 are going to be cancelled.  I am not ready to weigh in but I will just wait for official news as I have done for the past 2 and a half years.  Zapada2012-04-02 15:16:40
"Si ce daca pana acum n-am avut noroc!" - Voltaj
*IRS1811*  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 8:46:51 AM(UTC)
*IRS1811*

No news is good news!
Lady CI  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 10:15:46 PM(UTC)
Lady CI

Zapada wrote:
I am with you rainking.   I am not buying my plane ticket quite yet.  This is going to be a long week of checking the board.  I have heard rumors on both ends of the conversation.  I like all the talk of trainers being prepared but I also have heard that all classes for 2012 are going to be cancelled.  I am not ready to weigh in but I will just wait for official news as I have done for the past 2 and a half years. 

Ditto.
Heard rumors to support both ends as well. The only thing Im holding on to is that with each day that passes, we are another day closer.
thisguyjc24  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 11:00:55 PM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

All those rumors just prove that no one outside of HR knows what's going on. Maybe not even them.
rainking888  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:19:24 AM(UTC)
rainking888

From what I remember, it's actually another group that determines CI strategy and just informs HR...not HR actually making the decision. Somebody clarified that a few months (6-24???) ago...
Tiger99  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:40:53 AM(UTC)
Tiger99

rainking888 wrote:
From what I remember, it's actually another group that determines CI strategy and just informs HR...not HR actually making the decision. Somebody clarified that a few months (6-24???) ago...

That's right. All HR does is pass along the names on the ready list to the decision makers.

Blue77  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:21:21 AM(UTC)
Blue77

Actually, HR doesn't provide the "ready" list to the "decision makers"...the decision on classes is purely a budget thing, having nothing to do with who is or isn't on the ready list.  Strategy has to work with the overall budgeting of CI for the FY to see if they can afford a class or not.  The April class went right down the tubes.  The IRS budget is TIGHT this year.  HR "hopes" they can have a June class.  They are still waiting to hear from Strategy if it's approved or not.  The last few classes, the decision has come down with a very short turn around time for HR.  Basically, in the last few classes, the HR staff gets told a class has been funded, and told at the same time to have the class list ready to be submitted to FLETC in TWO weeks.  So they've very, very quickly have had to call candidates with final offers to get a class list together very shortly.  That's why there haven't been city/POD lists going out in the last few classes.  There hasn't been time to wait for responses to them, and honestly, there's no budget to be spent moving people.  So they've been looking at the ready list and pulling people from it depending on the needs of the field and if a POD in need is within commuting distance of the people on the list.

I know it's hard, but be patient...one thing that is very true...there will not be a lot of classes this FY...the budget just isn't going to allow for it.  The good news is that the need for agents is high as we don't keep up with attrition, so everyone is wanted and needed...
Lady CI  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:12:04 AM(UTC)
Lady CI

IRSCIApplicant wrote:
Blue77 wrote:
  So they've been looking at the ready list and pulling people from it depending on the needs of the field and if a POD in need is within commuting distance of the people on the list.

So how do you explain a person being moved 1,400 miles to their final POD if the budget is tight?  This happend to a person in a class either this or last fiscal year.  The budget was "tight" both years. 
"needs of the service" . Perhaps they had a skill set (ie language) that was needed at that specific POD.
Dave22  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:14:49 AM(UTC)
Dave22

Good to hear from you again Blue. Been a while.

Blue77  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:30:23 AM(UTC)
Blue77

The last few classes have not had many 'moves'.  Most of the candidates were selected for PODs within their commuting distance to spare moving costs.  Special skills are always a different story.

Keep positive...they have staff ready to hold classes but they can always be sent back to their field offices if classes don't end up happening or they stay at FLETC and work on the course material...there's always something that could be made better, updated, or freshened within the course material to keep them busy.

Just remember not to lose faith if you don't hear something within "30 days" of a supposed class.  Last year, we had some classes that were thrown together very quickly.  Until a mentor or someone "in the know" tells you the class is cancelled, it can always happen at last minute if funding goes through and they think they can find 24 people willing to go.  CI wants to have classes.  They want new blood...this is all good...it's just the budget that holds them back.

So far, the remaining 3 hopeful classes of the FY are still a go...keep fingers crossed and positive vibes!!!

Good luck to you all.  It's a great job worth the wait...
Lady CI  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:37:39 AM(UTC)
Lady CI

Dave22 wrote:
Good to hear from you again Blue. Been a while.

Dave 22 and Blue - its good to hear from both of you!!!
thisguyjc24  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:20:04 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

Also to answer the question about paying moving expenses, the service doesn't have to pay it for external hires. They can assign you to a POD anywhere in the US and tell you to take it or leave it and it's your responsibility to report.
thisguyjc24  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:51:22 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

By the way I just read a hilarious posting at the end of the March thread by a by on the civil side. Its all about how the IRS isn't accountable to anyone. Seriously worth the read. 

Rss Feed  Atom Feed