Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanielJ  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:19:42 PM(UTC)
DanielJ

Groups: Registered

Does the following mean that if a Washington DC employee retires on 12/31/2012 with 10 weeks of saved annual leave, that the lump sum payment includes holiday pay for New Year's day, MLK day, Inaugration day and President's day.  From OPM -

'In calculating a lump-sum payment, an agency projects forward an
employee's annual leave for all the workdays the employee would have
worked if he or she had remained in Federal service. By law, holidays
are counted as workdays in projecting the lump-sum leave period." 

drb3  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 12:40:19 AM(UTC)
drb3

yes

MMOB  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 2:44:16 AM(UTC)
MMOB

drb3 wrote:
yes

I know I sound like a broken record, but c'mon people!  Quit guessing at answers to questions that you don't absolutely know the answer to.  The correct answer is 'no'.  You do not receive any extra holiday pay in this situation.  If you have 448 hours of A/L, you will receive payment for 448 hours regardless of how many holidays occur during the projected lump sum period.  You will not receive 448 hours A/L plus 8 hours of holiday pay.
dhacker56  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 3:04:48 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

MMOB wrote:

drb3 wrote:
yes

I know I sound like a broken record, but c'mon people!  Quit guessing at answers to questions that you don't absolutely know the answer to.  The correct answer is 'no'.  You do not receive any extra holiday pay in this situation.  If you have 448 hours of A/L, you will receive payment for 448 hours regardless of how many holidays occur during the projected lump sum period.  You will not receive 448 hours A/L plus 8 hours of holiday pay.

MMOB-  You better check your own facts before you post!!!  Retirees will indeed receive pay for the holidays that fall between their retirement date and the end of the AL.  I KNOW for a FACT because I was paid for them!!
GoHuskers  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 4:03:03 AM(UTC)
GoHuskers

My experience would indicate MMOB is correct. When I retired, I had 399 hours, or just sort of 50 work days, of annual leave and credit hours. Projecting 50 days forward from my retirement date, there were 2 federal holidays within that period (Labor Day and Columbus Day). My lump sum payment was for just the 399 hours, not 415.

I think the only time this holiday issue comes into play is if there is a pay increase that would have fallen within the projected leave period and they need to pay some of the hours at the old pay rate and some at the new higher rate. Per the quote from the OP, they would not skip over the holidays in calculating which days the lump sum hypothetically represented, but would treat them as regular workdays.
dhacker56  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 4:10:55 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Well then you got cheated...  Because they DO pay for holidays.  I had 504 Hours of AL on a VERA
Was paid 528. 

Fed1969  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 4:34:56 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

What is really nice is this is 2013 income.
drb3  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 5:36:09 AM(UTC)
drb3

well, sorry Mr Forum Policeman; I got paid for holidays falling within the AL time received. if there are differences between agencies or other provisions, I'll let you look for them 

darster  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 7:00:05 AM(UTC)
darster

RetirednHappy  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 7:40:42 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

I agree with MMOB and GoHuskers. I also did not receive extra pay for the holidays shortly after my retirement date from DOD. In fact, as the regulation language reads"... if holidays are counted as workdays in projecting the lump-sum leave period" then you need leave hours to receive PAY for them. They are NOT considered holiday dates for leave pay-out purposes, at least as far as my experience with a DOD Agency.... and so the debate goes on !  If some of you were lucky enough to receive a few more hours of leave pay-out, congratulations. In the bigger picture, it really does not matter. Just enjoy the retirement that we all have come to deserve!!
GSBS  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 7:40:47 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Only if everyone would turn to OPM instead of having to read some of the insane stuff posted here. With that said my Supervisor at the State Department said we didn't "belong" to the OPMClap
darster  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 7:51:08 AM(UTC)
darster

The key thing here is if you are normally scheduled to work holidays. If you never work them, you are not going to get extra pay for them. I work rotating shifts, holidays, etc. So by the planning schedule they can compute what holidays i would have been scheduled to work and computed into my AL payout. It's just like jury duty. If I am on jury duty, my schedule automatically changes to just straight day shifts, but they must also include night differential, sunday pay, holiday pay in my biweekly pay. Just because I am on jury duty, does not mean I am denied the pay I would have received if I worked those shifts. The same goes for SL. If I call in sick on a holiday I am scheduled to work, I am charged SL and also get holiday pay. 
GSBS  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 8:20:42 AM(UTC)
GSBS

No that can't be?. It would extend your end result pay those two days without the need to be normally scheduled to work holidays.  Hey I wasn't paid my night pay either when my agency accommodated me with a few day shifts. Do you know the regulation for that one as well darster?  I left service so its not that important anyway.
darster  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 8:28:56 AM(UTC)
darster

I don't have the regulation, but I have been paid night differential for past jury duty. 
JimEli  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 8:30:46 AM(UTC)
JimEli

Could
this be a simple misinterpretation of the law and policy? Yes you receive pay for holidays, but you’re not entitled to receive holiday pay.

From OPM, Lump-Sum Payments For Annual Leave:

“By law, holidays are counted as workdays in projecting the lump-sum leave period.”

From the % USC 5551 (the law):

“The period of leave
used for calculating the lump-sum payment shall not be extended due to any holiday occurring after separation.
”

MMOB  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 9:26:15 AM(UTC)
MMOB

darster wrote:

You'll notice in that link that holiday pay is not included under the section entitled Types of Pay Included in a Lump-Sum Payment.  People are confusing lump-sum period with lump-sum payment. Holidays are considered as workdays and included in determining the lump-sum period.  They are not used in determining the lump-sum payment.  The law is quite clear on this matter, even if some of you believe that the OPM language is ambiguous. 
postalvet  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 10:15:23 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

then what does this mean?

"Generally, a lump-sum payment will equal the pay the employee would have
received had he or she remained employed until expiration of the period covered by the annual leave."

based on that statement you are paid for hoildays.

Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
darster  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 10:57:49 AM(UTC)
darster

If you are always granted holiday leave, and have never in your entire career collected premium pay for holidays, how can you expect to be given premium holiday pay for the remainder of unused AL? 
darster2012-04-02 19:04:07
GSBS  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 11:29:43 AM(UTC)
GSBS

darster wrote:
If you are always granted holiday leave, and have never in your entire career collected premium pay for holidays, how can you expect to be given premium holiday pay for the remainder of unused AL? 
 Are you speaking about premium pay for working on a holiday? You might be the only one who is.  
darster  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 9:16:13 PM(UTC)
darster

Yes, if I work a holiday during the night or sunday, I get premium pay which includes night differential, and sunday pay. Not sure about this for a lump sum pay for retirement though. I will find that out next year when I retire
Rss Feed  Atom Feed