Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
geo8909  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:42:37 AM(UTC)
geo8909

Groups: Registered

I am AF HR, AF for 38 years.

I have a young friend who is a GS-04 in the Medical Treatment Facility at our installation.    She is a GS-04 and has applied for a GS-04/05 at the VA hospital here.  Doing the same work she does here.   And there are GS-07s in her occupational series at the VA.   We have no 5s or 7s here into which she might be promoted.

For upward mobility, sounds like the VA is a better spot for her but I am wondering about the work climate of VA vs AF.  Any one with any experience with both that can shed some light? 

Thanks!
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:15:55 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

geo8909 wrote:
I am AF HR, AF for 38 years.

I have a young friend who is a GS-04 in the Medical Treatment Facility at our installation.    She is a GS-04 and has applied for a GS-04/05 at the VA hospital here.  Doing the same work she does here.   And there are GS-07s in her occupational series at the VA.   We have no 5s or 7s here into which she might be promoted.

For upward mobility, sounds like the VA is a better spot for her but I am wondering about the work climate of VA vs AF.  Any one with any experience with both that can shed some light? 

Thanks!

I would take the higher grade. Based on various comments on this forum, I think in general the VA work is more demanding.  Of course it this varies from job to job.
Knight  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:38:35 PM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

I too am thinking of going VA and have talked to some folk at my local hospital. The VA is about 50-60% veteran so it does have a lot of similiar folk that she has worked with in the past.

And I too have noticed the pay scale is better. It also appears the AF has accidentally or on purpose created a firewall from the bottom to the top. I know people that couldn't get from 7 to 9 without moving bases or agencies.

Maybe she has to move out to move up. Good luck to her.

Fed GS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:46:37 PM(UTC)
Fed GS

On the grade doing the same work - Most AF installations have MTF and or a few beds for short term patients. The AF treats majority AD - not the Veteran's/retireies. Most VA positions are at higher grades then in the AF as the position, while doing almost the same work have higher responsibility levels. The AF has more military assigned and those positions to be eligibile for testing/rank have the higher level responsibilites doing the same work.
seminolefan72  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:40:47 AM(UTC)
seminolefan72

The VA is a real beast. I work for the VA. Each facility is different. I would go check out the facility. VA hospitals are now getting Botox clinics...lol, no jive, they are. Gastric bypass surgery is in the near future as well. The VA is going all out for the vets.
seminolefan722012-04-05 19:47:18
common sense
old fed  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:43:36 PM(UTC)
old fed

you do know botox is used for many things besides cosmetic reasons, right?  there are many valid medical reasons to get injections.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed