Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Soup 2.0

We encourage your suggestions and ideas for ways we can improve your experience, and welcome feedback. While we are unable to respond to every comment and/or email message, we are listening!

Our user-generated content is extremely valuable to us, but we also recognize the problems that can occur as a result and are steadily working toward improvements. This is the place to share!

Please ONLY post topics here that are related to the FederalSoup interface and user experience. Any topic posted that is not related to the forum interface will be moved to the appropriate forum.

(HINT: If you don't know exactly where your topic fits, post it in the General Conversations forum.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GSBS  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 1:12:08 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Absolutely allowable. My Supervisor wrote his own Position Description to become a GS 13. What really bothered me is he used the skills and tasks that were performed by myself and those he supervised.
Tic3  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:46:58 PM(UTC)
Tic3

LSEP wrote:

Late last year, my supervisor changed job (promotion) leaving a
vacant position awaiting to be filled. Recently (about 3 months), an
individual reported to my workcenter and filled the vacated position.
This individual now is my supervisor. I've been told that they
(management) put this individual in the position because this
individual's previously held job was targeted to be eliminated this
month due to Air Force restructing initiatives. Keeping in mind that
this filled position has not been announced/advertised to all potential
qualified applicants, would this constitute a violation to any of
the MSPB (Merit System Promotion Board) and PPP (Prohibited Personnel
Practices) mandates? Would a Commander ( Command, Wing, Squadron) has an
authority to select/fill vacant positions without being
announced/advertised? I am thinking of submitting an Office of Special
Cousel complaint, but I'm in need of you all insights/thoughts about the
foregoing scenario before doing so. Any inputs/recomendations are welcomed and appreciated. Thanking you all in advance.

As noted, this is allowable under a number of different scenarios.

Google "noncompetitive appointment"

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=noncompetitive+appointment&oq=noncompetitive+app&aq=0&aqi=g3g-s1g1&aql=&gs_l=firefox-hp.1.0.0l3j0i10j0.1854l5312l0l11922l20l20l0l0l0l0l211l1993l9j10j1l20l0.frgbld.

Edited to add the original post back in, since it disappeared.  The replies make more sense and may be more helpful to others when they are left in context.

Tic32012-04-06 10:24:49
fcarver  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:56:25 PM(UTC)
fcarver

Agreed. If he meets non-competitive appointment authority (like if he'd already held a job at that Grade level, even in a different job series) then they can do that. Also, for jobs that are being, or about to be, RIF'd, then there's CTAP, ICTAP, etc. Many ways this was a legal action.
Fed GS  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:11:02 AM(UTC)
Fed GS

Management has the right to assign employees to accomplish mission. Reassignments are not promotions or change to lower grades. The individual still has to qualify. As the reassignment was done to avoid a RIF - the process is perfectly legal.
Knight  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:35:48 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Not a violation of the law and at least he took an empty slot. Be glad he didn't take your spot instead. When it comes to RIF there are rules and like a game of musical chairs someone can end up without a seat. Usually it is the lowest person on the totum pole.
Knight2012-04-05 13:41:22
Fed1969  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:39:08 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Reassignments to empty slots is common.  I was reassigned several times on a lateral during my career.
geo8909  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:18:24 AM(UTC)
geo8909

Air Force goal is not to run a RIF this year.  They encourage pre-RIF reassignments just like happened in your office.  And in fact, qualification requirements can be modified to prevent a RIF unless there are positive education requirements.

We reassigned 8 people thus far this year in the same manner as  happened in your office. 

People who are going to lose their jobs are high among the list of priorities HR has to clear before they can announce a job.

Could be you saved by pre-RIF placement in future downsizing efforts.  

W

geo89092012-04-05 16:25:04
USAF  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:37:41 AM(UTC)
USAF

Well said geo8909! Career status employees have RIF protections in place. Jobs can be held to be offered to RIF. They can be internal or external employees. Even RIF's from other agencies get priority placement. Safety feature of being a federal civil servantClap
Rss Feed  Atom Feed