Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vrbas  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:24:33 AM(UTC)
vrbas

Groups: Registered

I was the primary candidate for an SOS position and I took the polygraph last week.  I was informed that I failed the drug portion of the polygraph even though I have never used, sold, bought, or distributed an illegal drug in my lifetime.  At that, my operator was convinced then I had a problem with prescription drugs and the interrogation began; I have never recreationally used a prescription drug either.  It wasn't a pleasant experience.  I came out literally feeling violated.

Details aside, I faxed in my appeal letter for a retest and will just wait and see.  I'm not putting to much stock in a retest so my question for those here is, where do I go from here?  I want a job with an intelligence agency to eventually specialize in fighting human trafficking (specifically sex trafficking), and since the FBI was put in charge of severe cases of that back in 2008 I believe, they were who I wanted to go with.  It was my dream to work for them and as much flak is everyone here gives them, I still respect the Bureau.  I just have no idea where to go from here or who can facilitate my specific interest in the intelligence community.

I know this is just the FBI sub forum, but I'm sure many of you failed out and had to look elsewhere.  I'm just hoping to get some ideas; what did you do?  I will be receiving my Master's degree this may in Public Administration with a Bachelor's in Criminology and Psychology, I don't want to be stuck in this world with two degrees and no job.
fly81  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:16:12 AM(UTC)
fly81

Have you tried to contact your AC to discuss what happened and potentially retake the test? I think you have to wait 6 months to retest but I'm not sure.
vrbas  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:19:14 PM(UTC)
vrbas

Indeed i have. I've already faxed in my appeal letter but Im not banking on it.
syk9482  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:43:12 PM(UTC)
syk9482

Have you looked into other departments/agencies? ICE and CBP for instance have offices dedicated to fighting human trafficking and do not require polys. They're not in the IC, per se, but have intel shops that are very much involved with IC partners.
vrbas  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 12:47:43 AM(UTC)
vrbas

Yes I have been.  I'm trying to find some direct hire programs or special hiring opportunities (like I found with the FBI).  Applying on USAJOBS.GOV and letting my application collect dust is something I've been doing for over a year now with no luck. 

Thanks for the suggestions, anything else?

smarterguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 2:39:10 AM(UTC)
smarterguy

Look for work with a contractor perhaps if no other fed jobs are opening up.

The failed poly won't hold you back from getting a clearance, or passing polys at other agencies(been there done that...). You may be able to reapply with the FBI after one year if they're like the CIA. But don't hold your breath.

But an important question you need to ask yourself is, do you really want to work someplace that could let you go over a failed poly? Say in one year you reapply, you pass the poly. Great. You will have to take a poly again after 5 years or so. Your career is then in the hands of a polygrapher. You know you didn't do any drugs, and you still failed. I don't know anyone else besides myself who has failed a poly at one agency and passed at another. I'm sure there others out there, but it seems like there are those that pass polys with ease, and then the rest of us who fail. I'm out of the polygraph world, thank god, and don't plan to go back.

vrbas  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 6:16:27 AM(UTC)
vrbas

Thanks smarter guy for the encouragement, i really need it at this point. Needless to say Im beyond disappointed and confused with all this. I've taken everything you've said into consideration.

A question i have for you: where would i even begin to look as far as contractors go?vrbas2012-04-06 14:40:46
Rss Feed  Atom Feed