Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StandStrong  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:58:53 AM(UTC)
StandStrong

Groups: Registered

Thanks to Oktoots in helping Postman70 I put together this formula in calculating OPM and SSDI. I hope you don't mind Oktoots and correct me if I was wrong
I just think its important so that others can use the below example for their use.
OPM AND SSDI CALCULATIONS
40% AND 40% ( 2ND Year of Disability Retirement)
Note: SSDI Amount stays the same
Example:
           OPM = $1,700.00
            SSDI = $1,800.00 – Fed Taxes
To Calculate Offset:
            60% X SSDI = Offset
            60% X $1,800.00 = $1,080 which = Offset
To Calculate OPM – Offset:
            OPM – Offset = OPM MONTHLY ANNUITY @ 40%
            $1,700.00 - $1,080 = $620.00
The second Year you should receive 2 checks per month.
            SSDI CHECK = $1,800.00
            OPM CHECK =    $620.00
   MONTHLY TOTAL =   $2,420.00
Note: OPM check will equal above or the amount that you would have earned if you retired immediately and not on disability which OPM calculates, which could be higher. So you will receive the higher of the two from OPM.

StandStrong2012-04-05 15:23:13
oktoots  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:36:02 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Your welcome, StandStrong!   The SSDI stays the same, except when there is a COLA, as we had this past January, and then you get a 2-4% increase.

So, without using numbers it's: 1st year     OPM (60% of your high 3 ave.) minus 100% of SSDI amt.
                                                                      + full SSDI check

2nd year onward:                                 OPM (40% of high 3 ave.) minus 60% of SSDI amt.+ full SSDI check

And, as we said, since the 2nd year OPM check can be quite low, if your earned annuity is higher (depends on how many years you had on the job), you get that instead. In my case, the second year's OPM would have been about $600, whereas, with 23 yrs in the PO, my earned annuity was $980. So I got that instead plus the SSD. 

oktoots2012-04-05 16:24:21
multiple identities to 0%
StandStrong  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:23:22 AM(UTC)
StandStrong

Thanks Oktoots, correction noted and edited. Also thanks for the additional information, your info has really helped me since I am still waiting on approval from SSDI. I have an attorney on retainer for that part, since it seems that SSDI can be a major hassle.
oktoots  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:17:51 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Now I have to edit my postLOL. As for SSDI application, I didn't use a lawyer, though the one I used for DR offered to help. I turned him down for 2 reasons; I didn't feel like paying anymore and I didn't think I would win anyway.
 Well, I pushed onward with the online application (you know, work history report, all the medical info and doctors I used, etc.) I used the same medical narratives and office notes that I supplied to OPM, plus a questionnaire I got in the mail asking about how my conditions affect my daily life. I cleverly filled that out and sent it.  I also had to go to a SS doctor Clown, at their request. I guess all the info put together made a compelling case and I was approved in Dec.2009.
multiple identities to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed