Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scubasteve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:45:04 AM(UTC)
scubasteve

Groups: Registered

Ive been told that my supvisor is required to give two weeks notice before he puts me on a different schedule. I cant find it in the MLA. Where else could this be?

He just told me I go on mids 4 days from now. I told him I couldnt because I have morning college classes. The other two I work with have never been told to work a mid shift in the 4 years I have been here and I have the higher SCD date.

My MLA is here if maybe you all know where to look. I read the whole thing.

MC5Wes  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:54:31 PM(UTC)
MC5Wes

Steve
Do me a favor a drop me a email. I had a question about the 919th.

Thanks

martyb  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:34:30 PM(UTC)
martyb

Steve,
When I was an ART, there was a requirement for a 5 working day notice for shift change.   It was in our bargaining unit agreement (union contract), but apparently was fairly standard, since it was the same at both of the bases I was assigned to, and two different unions (AFGE & NFFE).  I imagine it might vary from unit to unit.  You might get with a union steward for info.  Also, I think you might have a case with the seniority issue, especially if it's also addressed in the contract or someplace else in the regs.  If all of you have the same qualifications, there's no reason for you to be the only one eligible to go on the mid shift.  Everywhere I've worked, management was willing to make exceptions for people who were going to school.  They should leave you alone at least until your current semester ends.  Then, it might be reasonable to ask you to change shifts for awhile.  Also, since there are several of you who are qualified, there would probably need to be some kind of rotating schedule, if there's an ongoing need for mid-shift coverage.  That's the usual way of doing it, because they are supposed to give equal access to the shift-differential pay involved.  I don't supposed the other ARTs really want to go on the mid-shift either?  I believe they do have to take seniority (SCD) into account.

martyb2012-04-06 05:41:07
Forum trolls to 0%
KC135 Mech  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:02:55 PM(UTC)
KC135 Mech

You'll need to look at your union contract. 1 - shift changes and over time go by senoirity. Normally you ask for volunteers first and then start at the bottom of the senoirity list and work up the list depending on how many people you need on the shift. For overtime you work from the top down. 2 - don't confuse a change in work schedule with a change in shift. Normally a change in work schedule (flex, straight time, 4/5/9, etc) requires a two week notice. Normally for shift change it's 5 days. Again READ YOUR UNION CONTRACT. Also it should be written somewhere what the rotation schedule is, (3 months, 6 months) Some jobs are hired as nightshift positions so there is no rotation. ( we had a guy that was hired for a night shift position and they wanted to move him to days.) it didn't happen. 

tigman46  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:25:16 PM(UTC)
tigman46

this is how ours is writen:

Section 6.0 Notification of Schedules 

Section 6.1 

Employees will be notified of their work schedules at least 14-days in advance of the administrative workweek, except when the Employer head determines that the Employer would be seriously handicapped in carrying out its function or that costs would be substantially increased. 

Section 6.2 

The employer may first seek volunteers to work schedules of more than six (6) consecutive days for eight (8) hour tours, three (3) consecutive days for 12-hour tours and four (4) consecutive days for ten (10) hour tours and may be afforded two (2) consecutive days off.  The employer may review all scheduled rotations among affected employees to the extent that it does not impede the mission of the agency or violate management’s right to assign work.

Section 6.3 

A copy of any work schedule changes will be provided to the Union as early as possible prior to the proposed implementation date.  The Union will notify the Employer if it wishes to bargain regarding such change in accordance with Article 3, Mid-term Bargaining.

MC5Wes  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 3:14:16 AM(UTC)
MC5Wes

Quick question. Does any one get Sunday premium pay for working Mids. And coming in late on Sunday night?
Knight  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 4:22:01 AM(UTC)
Knight

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
And shift dif for working after 6 pm? I had a guy who would never come to days because of the extra money involved.
MC5Wes  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 10:50:51 AM(UTC)
MC5Wes

If you work Mids. And come in on Sunday evening say around 10pm. You would get Sunday premium pay for the whole shift on Monday. And also mid shift premium for the whole week.
1OldART  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 06, 2012 1:04:46 PM(UTC)
1OldART

Scuba, this has been going on for a while. Time to stop and call your steward or union office!!!

Mr. Mark Kolb, Duke Field Vice President  Mr. Thaddeus Wallace, President 850-882-5714

The seniority thing has been covered also. It is by SCD not the date you where hired at Duke.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed