Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skunker  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:05:27 PM(UTC)
skunker

Groups: Registered

Hey folks, 
 I keep hearing in the news (and also various comments sections) that GS employees, after they retire, tend to die just a few years after. Apparently, life expectancy rate is not too good. Our office is not too bad, but I see several agencies with employees that should get on some kind of fitness/health program PRONTO.Cry

Now, I am sure we can make a ton of tongue-in-cheek remarks about this, but does anyone have any real hard data to prove this? Educated opinions/comments?

skunker2012-04-06 04:12:15
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2012 8:42:46 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

I don't know if this rate is above normal.  

Maybe they retired because of health issues or old age.  Our office has some retire in their 80s and others with bad health and issues such as cancer.
Tryno  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:08:37 AM(UTC)
Tryno

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I'd say that if you checked data for fed and non fed retirees the death rates would be about the same. 
Ryos  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:21:04 AM(UTC)
Ryos

Yeah, I don't think it really matters too much where you work in so much as how healthy you stayed while you worked and staying active after you retire.  But Fed raises a good point in that some retire in their 80s, so it's not terribly surprising they end up dying shortly afterwards just because of how old they are (had they not retired, they might have died at work...).  But I mean heck, you could enter the work force at 30 and drop dead tomorrow for one reason or another so really, it's just better to not assume anything bad will happen just because you retire.

On the other hand, I do think it would be a good idea for more people to be working on their fitness whether their agency offers some sort of exercise option or not because I know some people who look like they're one Big Mac away from a heart attack and that sort of lifestyle doesn't lend itself to a long life, retired or otherwise. 

Ryos2012-04-07 11:27:32
Fed1969  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:40:14 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

We had an employee who came to work and was not feeling well.  I guess he was in his late forties. It was noticed he had not been seen for awhile and had not left the office.  He was found dead on the head.
coderunner  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:07:09 AM(UTC)
coderunner

This is more prove that we need to take care of are Veterans in this Country.  The VA is a great agency that does great work but can do better.  The VA needs to hirre more Veterans to take care of are ailling Veterans. 
bmj2  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:42:00 AM(UTC)
bmj2

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Probably because of two things -- they work their people to death and no one can save enough money to afford to retire on fed pay so they work until they drop.

Wait for it .....
bmj22012-04-07 18:47:46
texasvet54  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 06, 2012 6:17:37 AM(UTC)
texasvet54

bmj2 wrote:
Probably because of two things -- they work their people to death and no one can save enough money to afford to retire on fed pay so they work until they drop.

Wait for it .....

I don't know about that. I retired at 57 and my retirement pay is very good. I even managed to save a few bucks once all the kids got out of college and became gainfully employed.

Texasvet
Rss Feed  Atom Feed