Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

55 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ilwirecruitment  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 1:48:10 AM(UTC)
ilwirecruitment

Groups: Registered

Today the IRS has posted positions for entry level Revenue Agents nationwide. If you are interested in applying follow this link: http://irs.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/313772500

Questions can be directed to the IRS Recruitment Office by visiting jobs.irs.gov to find their local recruiter. Applicants may also call the Recruiter for Illinois and Wisconsin at 630-432-3987 or via e-mail at ilwirecruitment@irs.gov.

Open Period: Monday, April 9, 2012 to Monday, April 23, 2012

WHAT IS THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE (IRS)? The IRS is a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and one of the world's most efficient tax administrators. Yearly, the IRS collects more than $2 trillion in revenue and processes over 200 million tax returns. The IRS Mission is to provide the United States taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsibilities and by applying the tax law with integrity.

WHAT DOES AN INTERNAL REVENUE AGENT DO? An Internal Revenue Agent (IRA) conducts examinations of entities including individuals, sole proprietorships, small corporations, partnerships, and fiduciaries that may involve a number of separate tasks or procedures. In this position, you will use your professional knowledge and skill in accounting and auditing techniques and practices to examine various tax returns, determine the correct tax liability, identify situations with potential for understated taxes, and to recognize potential fraud. Many situations may require a specialized knowledge of a particular industry and/or may involve varied or complex systems of accounting. In addition, you will interact with taxpayers and their representatives from varied socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds, provide examination findings, interpretations of tax laws and regulations, and other necessary information to ensure future compliance.

WHAT IS THE SB/SE DIVISION?

The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 millions self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers. SB/SE taxpayers generally have higher incomes than most taxpayers, need to file twice as many tax forms, and generally need to rely more on paid tax preparers and the taxpayer education outreach activities of the IRS.

The anticipated start date is 8/27/2012.

Locations:

AK-Anchorage/ AL- Huntsville/ AZ-Phoenix Metro Area (includes Chandler, Glendale, Mesa, Phoenix)/ CA-Chico, El Monte, Fresno, Los Angeles, Modesto, Oakland, Redwood City, Salinas, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose/ CO-Fort Collins/ CT-Norwalk/ DC-Washington/ FL-Gainesville, Jacksonville, Miami, Ocala, Sarasota, West Palm Beach/ GA-Albany, Atlanta Metro Area (includes Atlanta, Decatur, Marietta/ Smyrna), Gainesville, Valdosta/ IA-Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City/ ID-Idaho Falls/ KS-Wichita/ KY-Louisville, Paducah/ LA-Baton Rouge, New Orleans/ MA-Brockton, Springfield/MD- Annapolis, Baltimore, Frederick/ MI-Detroit, Farmington Hills, Flint, Grand Rapids/ MN-Bloomington, St Paul/ MO-Cape Girardeau, Chesterfield, Jefferson City/ MT-Billings, Helena/ NC-Charlotte, Greensboro, Greenville, Wilmington/ NE-Norfolk/ NJ-Cherry Hill, Edison, Fairfield, Mountainside, Trenton/ NM-Roswell/ NV-Las Vegas/ NY-Buffalo, Garden City, Hauppauge, Rochester, White Plains/ OH-Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo, Youngstown/ OK-Tulsa/ OR-Eugene, Portland/ PA-Bethlehem, Erie, Horsham, King Of Prussia, Lancaster, Media/ SC-Charleston, Myrtle Beach/ TX-Amarillo, Dallas Metro Area (includes Dallas Downtown, DeSoto, Farmers Branch), Fort Worth, Houston Metro Area (includes Houston Southeast and Houston Southwest), Lubbock, San Antonio/ VA-Richmond/ VT-Brattleboro, Rutland/ WA-Spokane/ WI-Milwaukee

DUTIES:

As an Internal Revenue Agent you will:

- Examine and audit individual, business and corporate tax returns to determine correct federal tax liabilities.

- Examine and analyze books, records and accounting systems, conduct interviews, and utilize other fact finding techniques to obtain the information necessary to determine the correct tax liability.

- Conduct field examinations and discuss findings with the taxpayer or their representative, perform package audits to ensure compliance, and determine need for multiple year examinations based on findings.

- Interact with taxpayers, tax attorneys, enrolled agents, certified public accountants and other practitioners in conducting day to day operations.

IRS Internal Revenue Agents are required to conduct appointments at the taxpayer's location to discuss tax matters with taxpayers and/or their representatives.

Qualifications:

To be minimally qualified you must meet one or more of the following basic requirements by the closing date of this announcement.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:

A. Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance. OR

B. A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a four year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e. at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above. OR

C. A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory or the District of Columbia. OR

D. Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year. In addition to the above qualifications, you must possess the following professional accounting knowledges: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Auditing. For more information on the required accounting knowledges please refer to http://www.jobs.irs.gov/student/qualifying-coursework.html.

Application:

Apply online at: http://irs.usajobs.gov/G...ob/ViewDetails/313772500

ilwirecruitment2012-04-09 11:32:36
SweetPea  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 4:19:25 AM(UTC)
SweetPea

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Applied internally and externally. Been a TCO for almost 3 years (no complaints) I supposed it's time to move up to the next step of Revenue Agent.
taxman  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 4:21:58 AM(UTC)
taxman

At least the locations are somewhat better than the last.  

Not sure if I will apply to the POD I've tried to get into these last few years, I may just try somewhere else.  
ilwirecruitment  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 4:26:08 AM(UTC)
ilwirecruitment

Hi SweetPea,

Thanks for sharing you comments about being a TCO. Our employees are our best testiment. Good luck to you!

Steve
IRS Recruiting Agent for IL & WI

ilwirecruitment  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 4:27:50 AM(UTC)
ilwirecruitment

Hi Taxman,

I always like to let people know the more flexible they are the better the chances they may have when looking. You can select up to three locations so don't be discouraged from the location you want, but select some you may not mind working in for a while. After a few years, you could have the opportunity to move locations.

Steve
IRS Recruiting Agent for IL & WI

taxman  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 4:56:39 AM(UTC)
taxman

Steve, thanks for the info.

I've always picked the POD located where I currently live of course, but it just seems very hard to get into it.  I have never been contacted by my 2nd or 3rd choices over these last few years that I've been trying.  Is it common for them to start looking at people who list a POD as their 2nd or 3rd choice?
jlw62987  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 5:21:33 AM(UTC)
jlw62987

I see there is a position open in Jefferson City, MO. Any chance some could be opening in Springfield, MO?
brian76  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 5:25:45 AM(UTC)
brian76

Thanks for posting Steve!  I applied to the Salinas, San Jose, and San Francisco CA locations.
angelfire213  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 8:44:27 PM(UTC)
angelfire213

crossing my fingers on this one. I don't know which would be better....this or TE/GE. i hope i get the option to choose.

ashaber  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 9:14:23 PM(UTC)
ashaber

You and me both! Does anyone know if there is a separate assessment for TE/GE and SB/SE? I took my last assessment about a year and a half ago so I assume I will have to retake it.
taxman  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 10:20:07 PM(UTC)
taxman

That's a good question, although I don't think there's a separate one because in the past they've had cases on the RA assessment that involved TE, even when the announcement was for SB/SE.

You never know, though.  

I'm on the fence about a lot of this, I've decided to go ahead and apply to the same POD I usually do as my first choice, but I don't know what I'll do if I end up getting the TE/GE position since the start is supposedly earlier than the SB/SE one.  I'll have to move for the TE/GE position, so that would really be a problem and I would hate to move only to be offered a position at home a few months later.
Don't know what I would do at that point.
taxman  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:29:24 AM(UTC)
taxman

I notice they have a cover letter listed as one of the documents.  Does anyone do this?  
brian76  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:13:15 AM(UTC)
brian76

I used a cover letter this time.
ironman0786  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:37:52 PM(UTC)
ironman0786

Applied internal and external, I think it will be fun being a RA.

I have never uploaded a cover letter doc. It has always been there, not new.

I hope the anticipated start date for external is earlier then 8/27/2012.

ilwirecruitment, Do you know what the anticipated start date is for the internal posting? And whether an assessment is needed for the internal. Thanks.

SweetPea  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:34:48 PM(UTC)
SweetPea

Assessment is not needed for an internal applicant. The start date will be 08/27 as well.
RAgent  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:48:38 PM(UTC)
RAgent

I wouldn't worry about which POD you are applying to - they forced us out of the POD we chose, near the end of the probation period, to a POD that we were warned not to apply to (there were 2 horrific managers there, one had even been removed from his position for 5 years back when management was good at IRS, and the warnings we received from other victims were terrifying). They are supposed to go by seniority when doing this (in fact, I had not seen anyone forced out of their POD prior to this, in my 181/2 years), but that was when IRS was a good place, and managers followed the rules).  Current management ignores all rules, so they ignored the union contract as well, and we were forced out of the POD in violation of the contract.  10 agents had just fled (walked out of) that POD due to "safety reasons" at the same time we were being forced in (there were safety reasons since it was in a dangerous location, but we all knew the real reason was the 2 horrific managers, one in LB&I (LMSB formerly) and one in SBSE).  Also, where it stated in the job application that your career tenure in the same job will be credited to the probation period, they don't follow that rule, either, in my location.   Since they completely ignore the law and all written rules, you can be put on a 2nd probation (I was), even if you have career tenure in the same job, and return within 3 years.  You will find out their relatives are not even doing one probation, and they will be promoted quickly - the territory manager's brother in law became manager in one year after being terminated from 2 jobs on the outside, and the hiring manager's daughter (who previously worked in a library) replaced 2 CPA/MBA's with close to 20 years experience).  The hiring manager needed to make spots for his family in the POD we had, and I could hear him plotting to get us out (but didn't know yet that his daughter was trying to get into that POD so he could take care of her and make sure she didn't get treated like the other probationary employees, and would be quickly promoted).  

So just keep in mind that you may not end up in the POD where you apply.

RAgent2012-04-11 06:50:05
SweetPea  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:06:25 PM(UTC)
SweetPea

On a lighter note. How about those Knicks!?!?
angelfire213  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:23:35 PM(UTC)
angelfire213

what is WRONG with RA agent? wasn't he trolling some other post before? Dude, no one believes people that talk in such broad and conspiracy theorist ways. I doubt you still work in the IRS. anyway, since the TE/GE and this announcement have vastly different start dates, anyone recommend one over the other? I actually hope the start date gets pushed back....i will be out of the country the first week in september...so hopefully that won't scre things up.
Vinny  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:24:48 PM(UTC)
Vinny

Folks: please don't feed the troll.
taxman  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:22:18 AM(UTC)
taxman

Second that.  It was somewhat more tolerable when there wasn't anything going on to talk about.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed