Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlandriaW  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:37:54 AM(UTC)
AlandriaW

Groups: Registered

As I am beginning my new Federal job here at the beginning of May, I was wondering if anyone had any inside information on FLETC and when they offer training classes, etc.  I have checked the website for the one in South Carolina, and can't seem to find a schedule of the classes.  

Does anyone have any personal experience with the FLETC training center in South Carolina and if so, any pointers on preparing for the training?  As far as the particular date I will be attending, I am assuming that the agency I will be working for will just send me to the next available class.

I appreciate any and all information! 
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:34:13 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Congratulations on your selection.

Tryno  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:21:36 AM(UTC)
Tryno

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I've been to the one near Brunswick, Georgia 3 times.  The training I had was good, all of it didn't apply to my job but it was interesting.  You might check the main website  http://www.fletc.gov/

They have training classes going all the time so it really depends on which class/training you will be taking.  Depending on what job you have you may be required to take the 16 week basic law enforcement class very early in your career.  Some of the advanced training classes are optional for various agencys so you may or may not take those.  

Beagle1AD  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:31:07 AM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

AlandriaW wrote:
As I am beginning my new Federal job here at the beginning of May, I was wondering if anyone had any inside information on FLETC and when they offer training classes, etc.  I have checked the website for the one in South Carolina, and can't seem to find a schedule of the classes.  

Does anyone have any personal experience with the FLETC training center in South Carolina and if so, any pointers on preparing for the training?  As far as the particular date I will be attending, I am assuming that the agency I will be working for will just send me to the next available class.

I appreciate any and all information! 

Yeah I would say I have some experience in Charleston.  The first time was 3 weeks in 2008 and the second time was 7 weeks in 2011.  As far as preparing for the training well which training?  There are like a brunch of different agencies there and within those agencies they are different type of training in Charleston.  The two time I was there was for two different agency, two different jobs.

I counted 5 different academy on the Charleston website so it's like saying you're joining the military and want to prepare for it well which branch?

Beagle1AD2012-04-11 18:38:19
AlandriaW  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:26:52 AM(UTC)
AlandriaW

U.S. Courts- Probation and Pretrial Services.  I did check the FLETC website but I didn't see any specific dates on the academies that they offered.  It would be a 6-week program. I was just curious as to the dates, and wondered if anyone had any information before I just call and ask, with the phone number provided.

coderunner  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:42:51 AM(UTC)
coderunner

AlandriaW wrote:
U.S. Courts- Probation and Pretrial Services.  I did check the FLETC website but I didn't see any specific dates on the academies that they offered.  It would be a 6-week program. I was just curious as to the dates, and wondered if anyone had any information before I just call and ask, with the phone number provided.

Diferent tranning classes are going to be gived over next few months.  Their is always tranning going at FLETC.  What tranning program are you intrested most? 
Tryno  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:30:05 AM(UTC)
Tryno

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

coderunner wrote:
AlandriaW wrote:

Diferent tranning classes are going to be gived over next few months.  Their is always tranning going at FLETC.  What tranning program are you intrested most? 

coderunner, first FLETC doesn't do "tranning" whatever the heck that is.  Second, it's not what training an idividual is interested in, it's what training his/her agency sends them to.  Especially for someone newly hired. 
Alandria, I'm not sure what training program US Courts-Probation and Pretrial Services will send you to.  Without knowing that, there is no way to tell you a date.  I don't think you understand how FLETC works (at least the Brunswick base).   They well have 2,000 trainees on base at one time.  Those 2,000 people may be in any one of over a 100 different trainings courses, each course may be have several different groups in progress at the same time.  Courses can be anywhere from 1-16 weeks in length.  So without knowing the name of the course, all anyone can do is throw a dart at the class schedule.  Something else you may not realize is, you won't be going to training until there is an opening in the particular course the agency wants to send you two.  Now if you are required to take the course before begining work or before your first year is up, they (the agency) will get you in.  However, if this is just a course the agency wants you to take at some point in your career, it maybe 2 or 3 years before you go. 

Beagle1AD  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:31:46 AM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

AlandriaW wrote:

Many within an agency don't even know the training dates and the few that do aren't going to just give it to a stranger over the internet.
cindyd  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:38:10 PM(UTC)
cindyd

Funny you should ask.  I have a little info.  I work at FLETC-CHS.  Your District can get the information about class dates.  They can also put you in contact with the right people.  I believe the Courts has an automated registration system.  Again, your District should be able to give you that information.  You can do a private im if you want.  I can give you more information that way.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed