Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Engineer03  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:42:01 AM(UTC)
Engineer03

Groups: Registered

Like most everyone, playing the waiting game after a phone interview but had some questions for those more familiar with the system, this was my first federal interview.

Out of countless applications and referrals the one that actually interviewed me had over 24 vacancies for one job announcement. The posting said “Norfolk (24 vacancies”). All others I've applied for had 1 vacancy or "few" vacancies. 24 vacancies seems like a lot for one place.

Just curious what would an agency be trying to accomplish with this many openings?

Do they truly want to induct 24 new employees into their organization at one time or would this amount of vacancies be filled slowly over a long period of time?

Would this cause the process of selecting to take considerably longer than an opening with say 1 or "few" vacancies?

Thanks for any information.

Engineer032012-04-11 12:42:03
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:32:50 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Interesting announcement!!

I wonder if it means they have 24 locations.  

Is the an open announcement with a long time to the closing date?  If so, this is a sign they want to have a bunch of applications in case they have a real vacancy.
Engineer03  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:43:11 AM(UTC)
Engineer03

It was interesting! But sorry, I meant the announcement location said “Norfolk (24 vacancies)” not "Location (24 vacancies)...I just edited my original post.
The announcement was actually only open for a couple of weeks. The referral and interview happened within a month after closing.
I just can’t imagine how many people have to get interviewed to fill 24 vacancies… Yikes
coderunner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:35:54 AM(UTC)
coderunner

Engineer03 wrote:

Like most everyone, playing the waiting game after a phone interview but had some questions for those more familiar with the system, this was my first federal interview.

Out of countless applications and referrals the one that actually interviewed me had over 24 vacancies for one job announcement. The posting said “Norfolk (24 vacancies”). All others I've applied for had 1 vacancy or "few" vacancies. 24 vacancies seems like a lot for one place.

Just curious what would an agency be trying to accomplish with this many openings?

Do they truly want to induct 24 new employees into their organization at one time or would this amount of vacancies be filled slowly over a long period of time?

Would this cause the process of selecting to take considerably longer than an opening with say 1 or "few" vacancies?

Thanks for any information.

I will try anser all your questions and give help.  First your first Federal Job interveiw.  You must read both Katheriyne Troutmens and Lilley Whitmens books on how to get Federal Job.  They will help great with interveiws and how to do a great interveiw.  That is first step. 

boxkicker  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:47:53 AM(UTC)
boxkicker

First step is to ignore codewalker as he is the same troll under a different name. They are not a fed, and want to just play here to fulfill their missing urges.
rabbitdog99  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:40:29 AM(UTC)
rabbitdog99

One piece of
information left out that might answer why so many vacancies . . . What is the position?

Beagle1AD  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:53:15 AM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

the more vacancies the more opportunities you have to be hired.  So it's a good thing.
computerscott2  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:05:14 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

The announcements with multiple vacancies were the ones I usually got hired off of.
Engineer03  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:43:38 PM(UTC)
Engineer03

Ok great, seems like a positive thing. Thanks for the feedback.
The position was for an interdisciplinary engineer and included multiple series. I qualified for one of them which was industrial engineering.
BrianDez  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:52:55 PM(UTC)
BrianDez

Sometimes one posting will be used for an area vacancy. So the HR office covers several outlying departments combining the efforts with one job posting. It could also mean a VERY large office staff needs people.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed