Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Turbo88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:22:32 AM(UTC)
Turbo88

Groups: Registered

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have any of you ever had to work at a PO on Sunday? Not a plant, but an actual office? I got called in to work Sunday and thought it was odd.
dhacker56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:23:16 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

What is your job?

Turbo88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:26:27 AM(UTC)
Turbo88

I am a PSE
boober  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:06:52 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've had to work on Sundays before. Quite a few of em in fact over the years. I am a city letter carrier. Had to deliver expresses, case mail, deliver parcels and a couple of times had to deliver a full route.

[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
dhacker56  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:12:09 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

The  office I retied from has 3 clerks.  And One of them works a few hours EVERY SUNDAY.

TEinsanity  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:16:03 AM(UTC)
TEinsanity

Deliver a full route on Sunday, boober? What was the reason for that? I bet people were confused to see you. They probably thought it was Monday or something.

Turbo88  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:20:28 AM(UTC)
Turbo88

Thanks for the answers guys. I just thought it was strange.
dhacker56  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:27:07 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

There is a place in CA that DELIVERS on SUNDAY always.  Not on Saturdays.
UPDATE  it has been ended as of this week.
dhacker562012-04-11 17:34:16
TEinsanity  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:31:36 AM(UTC)
TEinsanity

I read about that before dhacker. I think because the town is mostly Seventh-Day Adventists or something along those lines.

dhacker56  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:52:02 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Yeah but that did not stop the USPS from changing it.

boober  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:23:16 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
TEinsanity wrote:
Deliver a full route on Sunday, boober? What was the
reason for that? I bet people were confused to see you. They probably
thought it was Monday or something.

This was back when I first started carrying mail, about 17 years ago or so. I was a TE back then and knew the routes (about 50 of em) in my office better than just about everybody. Except the regulars of course. And this office it was normal for ALL ODL and PTF's, TE's, to work at least 60 hours a week. Week after week. Anyways, this was an extremely high volume office. And 1 of the regulars that had the highest volume routes took about a month straight off. It was an all mounted route, and HUGE. It was 1 bundle. And I kid you not, I dunno how many possible deliveries it had, but it had like 5 sides to it. Instead of the typical 2 to 3 sides. You go into the guys case and you were completely surrounded by a case. There was a case to all sides of it except for the entrance. It was like walking into a small room. Part of the problem with it being so big is the guy came into work with his clerk wife at 6 AM every day. They carpooled. So he'd get to the office, and just start casing off and on starting at 6 AM, off and on through out the morning. Normal start time was 8 AM, so he'd have at least a good hour and a half of just casing off the clock. Yes, off the clock. Thinking back over the years, I dunno how for sure that he got away with it, especially since our union branch was so strong. But no 1 really fought him over it. Even his T-6. I guess his T-6 just took the OT and lived with it that size. Also this guy skipped all his lunches. He just loved to keep busy. But anyways, he was off for about a month, and the leave board was full as well. So we were short staffed as it was already. But management decided to just keep throwing whomever on the route every day. Instead of doing the smart thing and just leaving the same PTF on that route every day. No one ever opted on it because it was so huge. So they kept having to cut mail, day in and day out. So it just kept piling up. After about a week or so, all I did as a TE, was just come in, and do nothing but case mail on that route every day. Just to try and catch it up. But there had to of been like 30-40 tubs of flats and just stacks and stacks of presort every where as well. So I'd come in at 6 Am, case all day, pull it down for someone to carry, and then keep casing till 6 PM. I'd come in again the next day and case all day, for like 12 hours straight. Finally on Saturday night, there was still way too much mail. So they had me come in on Sunday to carry all the bulk that I had been casing the day before. So on Sunday all I carried on that route, was all the bulk mail that I had been casing up the day before. I carried no DPS, no parcels, no accountables, just trays and trays of bulk flats. It was finally caught up. But you would think since I knew the route so well, they'd just leave me on it. But of course not, they started bouncing PTF's off and on the route for another week or so, and it got all backed up again. So I had to carry nothing but bulk flats again 2 Sunday's later.  LOL

[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
TEinsanity  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:40:14 AM(UTC)
TEinsanity

Spending all day casing doesn't sound like a bad gig, at least every now and then. I'd probably lose it if I had to do it all day every day though.

John Henry  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:38:52 PM(UTC)
John Henry

dhacker56 wrote:
Yeah but that did not stop the USPS from changing it.

That is because Loma Linda's percentage of Seventh Day Adventist has dropped and the service did not carve out other post offices for other Sabbath observing communities.

I worked Sunday's during the UPS strike and during the last Sunday before Christmas running parcels and making collections. During the rest of the year there was a Monday morning collection. Back then we were sweeping the boxes three time a day. Fearing zero bundles and thinking that casuals would not care, since they were being let go in 6 months anyway, offices were ordered to use PTFs on collections after the routers assignments were cut when DPS started.

John Henry2012-04-11 20:44:57
all  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:23:08 AM(UTC)
all

By my rough calculations friend ... I have worked1,600 sundays over the last 36 years ..... put on your big boy pants  -  if you are going to stick around you will undoubtedly work a bunch of ugly hours holidays weekends etc....good luck

dhacker56  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:27:18 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

all-  good post...  BTW do you know the abbreviation for Pennsylvania?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed