Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gz390  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:34:28 AM(UTC)
gz390

Groups: Registered

Just curious who here has gotten a federal job using only their education? I mean qualifying by education only, might have had experience but it wasn't used to get the job.

College education>military experience
Tryno  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:27:50 AM(UTC)
Tryno

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I'd have to say that my education was the reason I was hired.  Had a accounting degree, got hired as an auditor.  Zero experience as an auditor (well one audit of a small town govt grant while in college), some basic bookkeeping work, and lots of widely varied experience - factorys, heavy equipment, construction, fast food, sub mail carrier (contract), ran a pool hall, owned a donut shop, managed an apartment and motel complex, bagged grocerys, etc etc etc.

The auditor job was reviewing records and conducting investigations in the livestock industry focusing on the finances and marketing practices of the businesses we investigated. 

gz390  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:17:28 AM(UTC)
gz390

thanks for the reply...
by the way did you put all the irrelevant experiences on your resume as well?

College education>military experience
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:49:44 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
gz390 wrote:
thanks for the reply...
by the way did you put all the irrelevant experiences on your resume as well?

I would...you never know what will make the difference between and the next person with the same education.   In tryno's case, I can see all the management experience (Pool Hall, Donut Shop, etc) fits the actual job as he will have some understanding of running a business beyond his education alone.

SkooterMcGaven  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:26:14 AM(UTC)
SkooterMcGaven

My first job with DoD was education only, it was an intern program but it still started at a GS-11 and I got hired a week after I graduated college, no prior job experience. I made sure to highlight classes or projects that had to do with the job though.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed