Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
navytrue  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:18:42 AM(UTC)
navytrue

Groups: Registered

I need some advice from a senior member.

I'm a 48 year old male that served in the US Navy with distinction for 24 years.  I retired as a master Chief (E9), obtaining that rank by my 16 year mark.  I have the standard medals, National Defense (2 awards), Navy Expeditionary, Global War on Terrorism, Global War on Terrorism Support.  Personal awards include the Navy Achievement Medal (7 awards), Navy Commendation Medal (3 awards) and a Meritorious Service Medal.  I held secret and top secret clearances my entire career.  I have no financial concerns, no drug or alcohol arrests, no involvement with the court system or law enforcement with the exception of one speeding ticket over seven years ago.  I am an American citizen with no foreign connections and, with the exception of traveling to Canada twice (2006 and 2009), have never been to a foreign country other that under military orders my entire life.

My ex-wife is Jewish and desired to raise our two sons in that religion.  I consented because I felt a religious upbringing was important.  My oldest son began college in the fall of 2010.  During that time, he became involved with a student organization for jewish students called "Hillel."  Shortly after he began his second semester, I received a phone call from him informing me that he was quitting college and joining the Israeli army through a volunteer organization called "Mahal."  I was opposed, and convinced him to remain in college until the end of the semester.  During the next six months, I argued with him.  I presented him with options of ways to serve our country.  I told him what he was doing was a slap in my face for my 24 years of service.  He basically told me he was over 18 and could do what he wanted to.  He left for Israel in June of 2011, and resided with a host family and working for a lawn care company while making arrangements to join the army.  I had minimal contact with him during the period.  I provided no support to him for this activity.

Subsequent to this, I obtained a job requiring a security clearance.  I completed the SF86 and listed his location in Israel.  After submitting the SF86, my son went to the Israeli government to extend his visa to go into the army.  After a discussion with my son, they informed him that he did not need a visa, that he was considered an Israeli citizen under the Law of Return. He accepted the citizenship, again under protest from me.

This event occurred after I had submitted the SF86.  All of the above had been told to my FSO and company.  I was told that it was ok because Israel was our ally.  When the investigator came for my interview, I fully disclosed the above events.  My son still had not entered the army, but I did disclose that he intended to.

I was recently informed that my "interim" clearance was declined and my case was forwarded to DOHA.  The only reason could be foreign influence. 

My question is this: is there any way to mitigate that your son is stupid? 

the rock99  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:28:15 AM(UTC)
the rock99

My guess is that this had nothing to do with your interim denial.  If the situation is as you described it is unlikely that this would cause a denial (of course anything is possible).  I have seen many people with much worse issues get interims.  The more likely scenario is because (I am assuming here) of your extensive foreign travel while on active duty they are looking at you more closely.
barkadanyc  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:29:23 AM(UTC)
barkadanyc

I am not a senior member, but I have worked with DOHA and DISCO, and right now I am helping another CAF with issues like this.

They are investigating YOU not your son. IF YOU SAID that you cannot be influenced by your son they will take you at your word. It might take longer to adjudicate but I bet it will go through, pending that this is the ONLY issue that DOHA found. I do not know your case and do not know what DOHA has but if its that particular situation and nothing else I wouldnt worry.

I have been in adjudications and security for a while.  All I know is the CAFs will take a little longer for a situation like that. Remember you are getting the US clearance not your son.
Is it not what you know or what you have done? Or merely who you know and who you done.
navytrue  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:50:03 AM(UTC)
navytrue

it's gotta be that Rock, and thanks barka. The investigator never asked me if I could be influenced by him, we actually talked about how his dream in high school was to be in the FBI or CIA and how i told him his actions would preclude him from ever doing that.  The only negative in the interview was that I didn't report the Israeli citizenship.  I reviewed the timeline with the investigator,  I submitted the SF86 on the 18th of July, he obtained citizenship on the 31st of July.   

navytrue  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:05:25 AM(UTC)
navytrue

Also Rock, maybe I should clarify.  I did maintain the interim for a period of 6 months.  I questioned the delay with my FSO and he submitted something to DISCO regarding my eligibility for a clearance. Once that was submitted, DISCO declined my interim and forwarded my package to DOHA.

mnmit  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:09:29 AM(UTC)
mnmit

I don't see your son's citizenship as the big problem--he is, after all, still a US citizen, and his actions regarding his citizenship do not directly impair you.

What matters, though, is that he is now living in a foreign country, and presumably working as a government/military employee.  This mean that you have immediate family in a foreign country that might be subject to coercion.... with an issue like that, DISCO cannot issue the interim (little reminder--DISCO cannot decline a clearance, it can only grant them).

Israel, from a CI perspective, is a very active collector against the US... so reviewing this issue carefully is clearly in the interest of the US

navytrue  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:24:50 AM(UTC)
navytrue

Thanks for replying!  I was certain it was that, primarily because it is the only life-changing event I have had in a number of years and have held clearances for 24 of the last 26.  I can appreciate that there is a concern.  I find no fault with the government's actions, actually they were very simliar to mine when he told me he wanted to do this! (LOL).  Im just wondering if it is something that can be mitigated.  I feel the only mitigating factor I have is my long-standing relationship with the US. 
Although I can prove that I provided zero financial support to him, I cannot claim the relationship is so casual that it doesn't present a concern.  And although my contact to him was limited and amounted to 40 mins of conversation or less each month, I don't think that would qualify as "infrequent."

Also, this process has been going on for almost a year now.  Situtations have changed. At the moment he is in the US and is not planning to go back.   Is there anyway to amend or update an SF86? I have asked my FSO, but he does not know how.  I have asked the administrators who answer the phone at DOHA, they have allowed me to update some contact info but that was it. 
Angel1955  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:31:40 PM(UTC)
Angel1955

One person during college got all involved with a group he quit when he found out it had anti-gov't affiliations = he provided ALL the information when applying - yes it did take longer for his clearance but he eventually did get it -- with the world what it is today - with loved ones outside the US - - how vulnerable are the parents if anything happens to their daughter/son????
Rss Feed  Atom Feed