Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AntonyJ1214  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:24:15 AM(UTC)
AntonyJ1214

Groups: Registered

So my biggest question is...... How do the promotions work? I've heard so many different things and I figured here would be a good place to get a definite answer. Ive heard after one year it is a promotion of up one grade down a step but I'd like some information if that's true..... Thx in advance
the rock99  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:31:37 AM(UTC)
the rock99

google the "two step rule".  As far as the promotion after a year if you are in a career ladder position and you are qualified (as determined by your supervisor) for the next grade in the ladder.  Career ladder promotions are not guaranteed, granted you have to be pretty screwed up not to get it, but it is possible,
AntonyJ1214  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:52:02 AM(UTC)
AntonyJ1214

Wow so I guess the whole up one grade down a step isn't true then I guess.... That sucks because that means the pay raises are pretty small.... I was looking forward to moving to GS8 step 6 but I guess won't e seeing that :(
computerscott2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:21:13 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Actually, according to my calculation you would be an 8 step 6. They take your current step (7/7) add 2 steps to it, making you a 7/9 and then see where that fits in in the 8 scale. Since it is between steps 5 and 6, they give you the first step above 7/9 pay, which according to my calcs is 8/6. Then 9/5, then 10/4. So in YOUR case it does appear that it would equal out to a grade up and a step down. In 2 grade interval series it doesn't quite work that way.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed