Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
glennja  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:18:13 AM(UTC)
glennja

Groups: Registered

I am looking to get hired and have applied for multiple positions around the same area, however I noticed one had a very short Open Period, of only 10 days. I would assume that this means they want to fill this position very quickly. What is generally the timeline when it comes to government positions? 

Also, I applied for positions in the Albany Area, but live near Baltimore, MD. The opening said nothing about location specific requirements (a few have said something like only applicants who are in the area will be considered), does having to relocate give me a disadvantage? 
SkooterMcGaven  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:24:06 AM(UTC)
SkooterMcGaven

10 days isn't that much, I've seen 5 days but that doesn't mean they are going to hire you quicker, that usually means they don't want 10000 people applying. I would say 10 days is about average. If you see Jobs open for more than a month, its usually not a real position.
Na  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:46:19 AM(UTC)
Na

The length of the open period for announcements can be from five days to a year or more.  Five day announcements are often used when the activity wants to reassign an individual from another agency non-competively, but has to clear displaced employee lists (CTAP, ICTAP, PPP etc.) first.  Applicants may think of it as pre-selection, but it is within the regulations.

Positions open for an extended period may be for anticipated vacancies or occupations with high turn over rates.  If these announcements have incemental cutoff dates, there is a better chance that there are open positions.

mskninah  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:46:25 AM(UTC)
mskninah

different agencies have a minimum time frame for how long they have to advertise a position.. i noticed here at the VA they do the minimum when they know who they want to hire.. its a shotty HR practice and this isnt the reason every where but the common practice at my facility is to hav enough time for the target to apply....

glennja  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:54:35 AM(UTC)
glennja

mskninah wrote:
different agencies have a minimum time frame for how long they have to advertise a position.. i noticed here at the VA they do the minimum when they know who they want to hire.. its a shotty HR practice and this isnt the reason every where but the common practice at my facility is to hav enough time for the target to apply....

Thats what I thought too... but there were two positions open on the announcement. So maybe there is hope. 
iwantin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:46:09 AM(UTC)
iwantin

I have seen announcements open and close on the same day like this one:

https://my.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/311258800

I would be curious to know what this means.
CJCourt  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 12:06:30 AM(UTC)
CJCourt

iwantin wrote:

I have seen announcements open and close on the same day like this one:

https://my.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/311258800

I would be curious to know what this means.

It means they already know who they want to hire but are going through the motions to follow the letter (but not the spirit) of law and policy.
YaFace  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 6:40:15 AM(UTC)
YaFace

Short open period doesn't necessarily mean preselection. Two out of three last jobs I have been hired for were only open for two days, and I had no knowledge of the jobs until the opening of the announcement.
Go government!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed