Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cbitguy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:57:42 AM(UTC)
cbitguy

Groups: Registered

Hi I am a federal worker and I work IT in my current place.  I've have been at my site for about 3 years and I am a little disappointed with the amount of work I have been getting.  My primary function when I was hired was to be that of an application programmer, but now I find myself doing a lot of documentation and rarely ever programming.  A few months ago I went to my manager and asked if I could have more programming work and for a short while he gave it to me.  But now he is doing the work that would normally be assigned to me and my co-workers.  Never received a complaint about my work he just took over the work (he's doesn't have great english either so his communication is poor).  I'm extremely frustrated because I feel very unfulfilled in my position.  But it gets even more complicated.  My division is paying for me to take management training and the training is committed for the next 3 months, but I will still need to take more classes after that to be completely finished with the program.  I really want to transfer to another agency but I'm torn because I also have to consider the effect that leaving in the middle of or right after training may have on my reputation.  I feel as though the training isn't as effective if I'm not more involved in the work that I do now and if I don't see the application of my training to my current work.  Would it be wrong for me to leave now or even right after my training is over?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:23:31 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
No you should do what you feel is best, and hopefully can make you the most money in your career!
bmj2  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:23:51 AM(UTC)
bmj2

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I feel your pain.  I have supervisors who keep trying to do my technical work while pushing all their management stuff down on me.  Want to do that, fine.  But promote me into the management job they're getting paid for and demote them into mine.  Funny, don't think they want to do that though.
rabbitdog99  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:58:38 AM(UTC)
rabbitdog99

Sounds like you manager likes programming.  He probably was a
very good programmer and worker, as a reward he got promoted to a management position which gave him more money.  Unfortunately managing people is much different than managing code and his real passion is the code.  Happens to good technical people no matter what the field.  If you transfer, you might find out another interesting fact: most
places you will work tend to have the same characters and problems. . . they just have different names.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed