Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chilidog03  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:51:05 AM(UTC)
Chilidog03

Groups: Registered

Hi all, been a long time but I do have an important question.   Once approved for D.R. from OPM, I understand one cannot make over 80% of their high 3 salary but does that INCLUDE the monthly payments from OPM. 

Example:  My high 3 average was approx. $50K, so 80% of that is $40K.  Since I receive approx. $1000 / month from OPM, should that $12K/yr be subtracted from the $40K or can that be in access of ????   Seems silly that if the OPM pymt's don't count, then one could actually make MORE than they were while fully employed. 

Confused in La, thanks for any help from anyone familiar with this issue.  Look forward to reading your comments. 

GSBS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:54:15 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
No. You may make 80% of your former salary and include the 40% to equal 120%!
Chilidog03  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:57:11 AM(UTC)
Chilidog03

wow, thanks GSBS for such a quick reply.  Leave it to the Federal Gov't for even that to not make sense.  And we all wonder why the gov't and especially, USPS, who I worked for, is in the condition they are.  Thanks again so much 

oktoots  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:07:48 AM(UTC)
oktoots

The rule is you can earn up to 80% of your former salary in wages or self-employment in addition to what you receive from OPM. It is conceivable that one can make more than when they were fully employed at their old job, but people don't usually come too close to that amount either because they were also approved for SSDI or they only work part-time.

The safest thing to do, if you intend to work, is to make sure you earn well under the 80%. The minute you step over that 80% in earnings, OPM will assume you are restored to earning capacity and will suspend your DR annuity. Your benefit will resume effective the first of the year after you no longer exceed the 80% earnings limit. 

multiple identities to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed