Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
solidus11  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 12:51:33 AM(UTC)
solidus11

Groups: Registered

I have been accepted for an internship at a defense contractor. However, the instructions for my e-qip say that I am supposed to email their security department with a pdf of the review copy of the e-qip. Is that legal? I have some prior marijuana use from over a year ago that I would rather them not know about.
hustonj  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 2:54:57 AM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Normally, the sponsoring organization's local security guy reviews your paperwork before it is formally submitted in order to make sure that you've got it filled out well enough.

This is a pretty universal part of the security clearance request process.

If you don't think you can be honest with your employer, you probably shouldn't be trying to hold a job which requires a clearance.
liaisonguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 9:19:26 AM(UTC)
liaisonguy

As hustonj responded, it's very common for the security officers to review your file prior to your submission.  This can be a very helpful review, since they can sometimes identify errors and suggest adjustments such as mitigating comments.  These folks spend all day on this stuff, whereas most of us do a periodic update on occasion.  In theory, the security officers are not sharing your SF-86 with your boss or HR dept.  What you put on the SF-86 ought to be strictly confidential.  You have to completely forthright on the SF-86, but your employer has no legitimate reason to know embarrassing facts from years or decades ago.   But...is it ever shared at the water cooler?  I suspect so.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed