Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Evlprincess1980  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 6:25:52 AM(UTC)
Evlprincess1980

Groups: Registered

DOI: 2009, Owcp approved my L4/5 disc. 1 month modified job duty and back to regular duty. Dr wanted me to have surgery, I said no because pain was not past knees. June 2011 reoccurence, i was getting out of car and back jerked, saw doctor, did PT and had MRI, pain going down right leg numbness/tingling/sharp pain in leg and foot. Dr. put on restrictions in October, i was told there was no work for me, then 4 days later given a modified job duty. Owcp will not pay the time work put me off. Dr will not give timeline of back and how regular duty aggravated the w.c injury. Then in January the nurse released me because owcp gave my information out and mentioned i put in for a 2nd opinion but failed to tell the nurse i was denied back in december. then feb. 2012 Dr. released me based on same reason. the doctor will not refer out to another doctor. I am unable to find a doctor to take me and im in limbo. No doctor will touch me because no referral and i am w/c. What to do? I tried self pay but Nope. my attorney shapiro filed an appeal but i was later told its going to be denied because he cant make a doctor see me. Then he sends me a letter out of the blue stating i have a back scheduled award but i need an EMG to show nerve damage, but wait! no doctor will touch me. So shapiro  said they cant make a doctor see me and my appeal will be denied. CAN ANybody help me? My reoccurence has not been approved because of not enough medical evidence .... can i see a doctor with my health insur and consider my reoccurence a new injury?
jesse slade  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 9:00:32 AM(UTC)
jesse slade

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Are you saying you need a physician to do the schedule award rating/testing? Have you tried calling FedDoctor.com? They only handle OWCP claimants and know what your report needs. That applies for impairment ratings and/or regular mediccal narratives.

Your doctor won't write what you need, but won't refer you to another physician? Try writing a letter to OWCP and changing physicians. You will need to find a physician that will take your OWCP claim, but you don't have to be stuck with a physician you don't want, don't trust, don't need...won't provide required information.

Evlprincess1980  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:04:23 AM(UTC)
Evlprincess1980

I need a physician. My w/c doctor released me he will not refer me out because he thinks its inappropriate. Ive called all doctors in this small town and i have called Owcp to let them know i am unable to get a doctor. I am told that they are sorry. Im in limbo.  I was wondering if i could use my health insurance to get my surgery and EMG that i need. OWCP also said i cant go over a 50 mile radius with trying to find a doctor. 50 miles out of this town there are woods. I live in arkansas.

jesse slade  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:31:56 PM(UTC)
jesse slade

The distance can be extended if you're in a rural area.
You don't need your doctors 'permission' to go elsewhere especially if he dropped you.

Have you tried calling FedDoctor.com? They only handle OWCP claimants. They may have someone that travels through your area. You may have to travel farther because you are in a rural area.

I wouldn't use your own insurance for a surgery. Let's say something goes wrong during surgery, OWCP will never accept your claim and/or surgical request if that happens. Even if you got everything accepted and/or got OWCP to say surgery was required and they'll cover it, it would take forever to get reimbursed. Also if your insurance co. finds out that this is work-related, they can ask for you to re-pay the bill.

Evlprincess1980  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:32:05 PM(UTC)
Evlprincess1980

There are no doctors within a 100 mile radius on fedDoctor.com but i left my information for them to contact me. Also, my reoccurence happened off work. I got out of my car and my back popped, the new mri showed L4-5 disc is now completely blown, and the doctor i had released me without giving owcp the medical information they needed to approve it, aggravated by current work conditions, and a timeline of my back and how DDD fit in to the diagnosis. This is why I considered using my health insurance because owcp see's my reoccurence as a new injury. The new doctor will know that i have a previous back injury from work and that owcp will not accept my reoccurence. I dont want to lie to the doctor I want him to know that yes i have a work injury but owcp will not accept my reoccurence because it didnt happen at work. My case is complicated and I need surgery asap. I have been without a doctor since January when the nurse released me. Texas back institute said they would accept me but my case worker turned them down because they are not within 50 miles. 
Snowed  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:10:31 AM(UTC)
Snowed

Views messages in topic : 1,987

Don't limit yourself to 100 miles.  Go as far as you need to get the help you need.  It has been my experience that OWCP often will reimburse mileage up to 499 round trip.  They will still pay the doctor but might give you a hard time for the mileage which you can always appeal with good reasoning.  I would write to the District Director and/or you senator if OWCP is failing to help you find a good doctor or approve a doctor you find.

Also the hospital emergency room shouldn't deny you if it gets serious.  Keep going there if you have to until you get the proper tests done.
March for Justice!
Evlprincess1980  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:46:15 PM(UTC)
Evlprincess1980

Thank you.Smile
Rss Feed  Atom Feed