Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
amethystlocke  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:39:01 AM(UTC)
amethystlocke

Groups: Registered

I've been a carrier at this station for almost 10 years and I have never seen it this bad. Let me start off with management.

They are on a daily basis, giving non ODL swings because they claim they're short staffed without working the odl and ptfs 12 hours. They're denying people doctors appointments. Recently they have started lying and suspending people for things they never did to those who they don't like.

Our Union says if a carrier doesn't file a grievence, they don't have to do it for them even if they're aware of the situation. The person handling the grievences is friends with the postmaster and all the grievence settlements are pretty much screwing over the carrier because they settle it without asking the carrier if he wants it to take it to step B.

My main concern in this is the lying to write up the carrier. How can you fight this without the union, who pretty much dont care at this point. Every settlement leaves the carrier on a year probation for something he may not have/didn't do.
dhacker56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:43:49 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

CALL YOUR NBA

smalltownsteward  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:47:38 AM(UTC)
smalltownsteward

DITTO
Melerkat  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:55:03 PM(UTC)
Melerkat

"They are on a daily basis, giving non ODL swings because they claim they're short staffed without working the odl and ptfs 12 hours."

NOT YOUR PROBLEM! Craft does not do scheduling. Craft does not determine carrier compliment.
Not your problem. Do not let them make it your problem.

"They're denying people doctors appointments."
GRIEVE IT! Easily won. (With documentation, of course).
Just appear at the doctors office for your SCHEDULED appointment, then get a note saying you were there!

"Our Union says if a carrier doesn't file a grievence, they don't have
to do it for them even if they're aware of the situation. The person
handling the grievences is friends with the postmaster and all the
grievence settlements are pretty much screwing over the carrier because
they settle it without asking the carrier if he wants it to take it to step B."
THIS IS WHERE YOU TAKE IT TO THE BRANCH PRESIDENT, OR AN OFFICER. NO NEED TO GO HIGHER BECAUSE THE OFFICERS AND PRESIDENT ARE ELECTED. They WILL represent you. Only failing that should you take it higher.

But I NEVER ASK A CARRIER IF THEY WANT TO TAKE TO ANOTHER STEP. WHY? BECAUSE I...OR A COLLEAGUE WROTE UP THE GRIEVANCE, SO I KNOW IT'S A PROPER GRIEVANCE THAT HAS MERIT.
I JUST MOVE IT UP.

But your rant sounds like a grievance that has no merit, for whatever reason.
I do not think you even understand the process, from looking at your post.

In my Branch, ALL GRIEVANCES....EVERY ONE OF THEM...gets "vetted" by our team, sometimes even going through our legal team before being formally submitted. This isn't a game to us, it is serious business and we like to ensure that all our terms are clear, our case is made, our i's are dotted and our t's are crossed.
When your Branch gets labeled as being one that files crap, arbitrators take notice. Similarly when your Branch gets a reputation of filing grievances that tend to win, arbitrators get a scent of whom they're dealing with.

Your last paragraph is meaningless.
THERE IS NO WAY THIS TYPE OF CONDUCT WOULD BE ALLOWED BY ANY BRANCH OFFICER, LET ALONE THE PRESIDENT OR NATIONAL BUSINESS AGENT.
I HAVE TO RUN FOR REELECTION. IF I DON'T PRODUCE, THEN I'M CHOPPED LIVER.
Just be sure to have the proper documentation IN HAND. We grow weary of carriers who claim this or that without it. And it happens AFTER THE FACT......so it happens more often then most people think.....then the union gets blamed for the lost grievance, or the one that was never filed because without that documentation it would amount to waste of time....and TIME IS MONEY.

Your union does not possess "Magical Beans" that produce victories out of thin air.

IF YOU ATTENDED UNION MEETINGS YOU WOULD KNOW THAT, AND I WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE WRITING THIS!

LOOK AT THE POSTS TODAY.  WHERE HAVE I BEEN?

I WROTE UP 7 GRIEVANCES TODAY!
AND I HAVE A LIFE! AND I HAD GUESTS OVER TODAY!
AND I HAD TO 'EXCUSE MYSELF" FOR THE BETTER PART OF 3 HOURS TO WRITE THEM UP, PRINT THEM, AND FILE THEM.

And I have three that I just cannot justify writing up. Two have ZERO documentation and one has false information reported by the carrier since you can't make a claim of "Improper Direct Order" on a day the carrier was clearly scheduled as on A/L. (Just one of hundreds of stupid mistakes that make the Steward look like an idiot.).

Melerkat2012-04-15 21:24:16
“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Melerkat  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:24:01 PM(UTC)
Melerkat

And it's now well after midnight, and I have a route to deliver.....LATER TODAY. 14 miles of walking.
Talk to you LATER TONIGHT if I don't pass out from exhaustion first.

“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
NECArrier  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:17:57 PM(UTC)
NECArrier

Wow, Mel, you must be in a big office: "vetting grievances" "legal team". Out here in the boondocks its just us chickens.
amethystlocke  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 8:21:47 AM(UTC)
amethystlocke

@dhacker56 and smalltownsteward, thanks :)

@Melerkat,

Thank you for valuable information, and yes I am not 100% aware of how the grievance process works. I just feel that my stewards don't really care anymore. Since the steward that did care and did a lot of work retired, the new younger steward, in my opinion, does not do a great job, mainly ignoring the stuff that supervisors get away with doing.

I am not in any trouble, I just feel bad for some of the carriers who are frightened by the supervisors who lie about situations to get them in trouble and the shop steward doesn't help them. 

I will take your advice and get the number for the branch president and see what I can do. Thanks. I'll try to keep this forum post updated on what happens. 
Melerkat  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 8:27:41 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

Please do. I think we all would like to see the result. 

Melerkat  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 9:05:39 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

NECArrier wrote:

Wow, Mel, you must be in a big office: "vetting grievances" "legal team". Out here in the boondocks its just us chickens.

Vetting Grievances.
Yes, we do this RELIGIOUSLY. Our Branch Officers meet at least weekly at the union hall, and we have a policy of faxing every grievance PREPARED to every other officer for quick review prior to filing.
9 minds can often see things that 1 will miss. It SAVES TIME at the end of the day, and since time is money, our dues-paying members get a better result (WE THINK, anyway).

Legal Team: Our Branch found that it's cheaper to put a lawyer (and his staff) on retainer than it is to hire an attorney for just a couple of separate issues a year.
One condition of "Retaining" a Law Firm is that they agree to take your issues FIRST. For 2012 we approved a bit over $22,000 to renew this arrangement. It sounds like a lot but understand that attorney (With team) charges $185 per hour, $380 per hour for court appearance.
To save a carriers job can include the added costs of hiring a Private Detective, as was the case with a carrier charged with sexual assault by a teenage babysitter (carrier NEVER should have entered that residence) and another claim of a carrier rear-ending a PT Cruiser (When the P.I. got a hold of video surveillance tape from another convenience store  that shows the PT Cruiser going too far into traffic at a stop sign and then backing into the carriers LLV).

Another advantage of retaining an attorney is that they get real "up to date" on all contracts, manuals and LMOU's fast. They know how to file FEDERAL OWCP forms (Much different animal then State or Private Industry). They will review any paperwork we provide them with for "Just Cause."
For "FREE" (After we pony up the $22,000). Court appearances, if needed, are extra.

Our carriers pay $23.21 per pay period FOR REPRESENTATION, not lavish parties.
$23.21 times 26 pay periods is $603.
648 members times $603 =  over $390,000.

TRUE FACT: We do have one "Lavish Party" every year. (In addition to our monthly meetings, which resemble a political rally or rock concert. More than 300 attend every month).
Every year our Branch rents out the picnic ground at a nearby Amusement Park on a Sunday in September for our yearly employee family picnic. We get a huge discount rate on the admission tickets for members and their immediate family members. We ask each member that attends to contribute at least 10 bucks and a large food item (or beer).
You should see what these guys and gals bring. Steak. Lobster. One guy has a family farm and brought a pickup truck load of corn and Tomato's. A few 1/4 kegs. 50 LBS of potato salad. A whole Roast Pig. (These people are "out there.").
We spend MORE on that then we do on retaining a Law Firm.
The vast majority of our members approve the legal funding and they vote on it.
That's why we have HAPPY CAMPERS here. (And miserable supervisors). Beer

Melerkat2012-04-16 17:15:18
Melerkat  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 9:23:39 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

amethystlocke wrote:
@dhacker56 and smalltownsteward, thanks :)

@Melerkat,

Thank you for valuable information, and yes I am not 100% aware of how the grievance process works. I just feel that my stewards don't really care anymore. Since the steward that did care and did a lot of work retired, the new younger steward, in my opinion, does not do a great job, mainly ignoring the stuff that supervisors get away with doing.

I am not in any trouble, I just feel bad for some of the carriers who are frightened by the supervisors who lie about situations to get them in trouble and the shop steward doesn't help them. 

I will take your advice and get the number for the branch president and see what I can do. Thanks. I'll try to keep this forum post updated on what happens.

I think we all see far too many stewards that are "in the game" for their own personal reasons.
Does your Steward seem to act like you're bothering him by asking for representation or advice? Then you might have one of these worms.

The first words out of my mouth when approached my a carrier are always "Let's talk" and I ask management for 401 time on the spot, because....as I tell management "If it's important to them, it's important to me and it should be important to you."

I've invited many a carrier to meet with me at the Union Hall after work, or to come in early at the P.O. to talk.
I prefer the Hall because we have resources there, and it's always staffed by volunteer Stewards on their day off and at least one Officer or the Branch President (Who works there 6 days a week).
One thing's for sure. If someone calls the Hall, a live person will answer the phone.
amethystlocke  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 11:09:57 AM(UTC)
amethystlocke

This new steward did used to get in a lot of trouble in the past. The 2nd steward was ALWAYS in trouble and honestly, hes a bad seed. He's suspended at the moment, ironically and has been fired many times.

New steward, upon telling him that management is forcing non odl carriers to carry swings, he gives answers like...well, they dont want to file a grievence so oh well.

Kind of like a policeman seeing a robbery and waiting for them to dial 911 before taking action? bad analogy, perhaps.

I dont want to constantly tell him indirectly how to his job because it may get on his nerve and when time comes for me needing help, the representation will go poorly.
Unyque  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:02:44 PM(UTC)
Unyque

I am not familiar with the grievance process. Where can I find information on it?
postalvet  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:42:37 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Unyque wrote:
I am not familiar with the grievance process. Where can I find information on it?

look on the union you belong to page.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Unyque  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:37:34 AM(UTC)
Unyque

Thanks.  I found it, and lots of other helpful information. 
USAF  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:26:49 PM(UTC)
USAF

Quit whining and deal with it or quit! I bet you have no complaint when you get that big juicey checkClap There was a time when professional carriers wore wool uniforms, dress shoes, and uniform hat. Quit your whining and straighten up that ragedy uniform.
Scotter  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 12:06:50 AM(UTC)
Scotter

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
USAF wrote:
Quit whining and deal with it or quit! I bet you have no complaint when you get that big juicey checkClap There was a time when professional carriers wore wool uniforms, dress shoes, and uniform hat. Quit your whining and straighten up that ragedy uniform.

USAF is a fraud and forum troll.

See for yourself:

Scotter
jac1976  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 4:51:45 AM(UTC)
jac1976

there are a few arb decisions that may be able to help you....google them.  One was in Norwich CT.

Rescinded a Window of operations because non-otdl carriers were being forced.  The new rule seems to be make it back for last dispatch of value.  If LDOV is 6:15 management gives an hour or so of OT.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed