Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lolo  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 10:44:09 PM(UTC)
lolo

Groups: Registered

I recently applied for a position and received a rating of 100.  Evidentially, the cert list was quite long, but I did receive a telephonic interview.  I was a little taken aback by the questions and the discussion by some of those on the panel.  
1) it was a structured interview but the questions did not match the listed duties of the position or the KSAs.  Instead they were these open ended questions (five questions posed at one time and then I was given 15 minutes to answer all of them) about what I knew about the agency, the federal government, and the location of the position.  
2) in response to one of my questions about the specifics of the position one of the panelists discussed in length how they were looking for someone with strong skills in an area that was not listed anywhere in the job posting on usajobs.  
I will grant that what they wanted was underlying in some of what the position's ultimate duties are, however, those were not listed in the usajobs posting.  Is this allowable?!  I thought everything had to link back up to the announcement!  
stofed  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:22:19 AM(UTC)
stofed

lolo wrote:
Is this allowable?!  I thought everything had to link back up to the announcement!  

It sounds like you have been the victim of a corrupt HR staff.  Your best remedy is to go through a basic fact finding process and later litigate against these illegal practices.  This will send a clear message to the agency that their corrupt practices will be tolerated no longer. 
More Litigation = Less Corruption
MathDoctor  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:55:38 AM(UTC)
MathDoctor

This is idiotic!! HR does not write the job description. HR does not conduct the interview.

In response -- The interview can be about anything related. Job descriptions are often written to cover a family of positions. Usually the specific duties are not the same. It sounds to me, like this was a very good interview. First it determined if you really cared about the position -- did you research it? Second, they talked about the specific position.

Good luck on the job.
Fed1969  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:21:52 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Some questions may not be technical but are to determine thought process, logic, dependability and work ethics.

I am familiar with questions such as:

Tell me about your last job.  Why did you leave?

What would you do in the following situation? 

What do you consider your greatest strength and weakness?

The KSA are a lot of time required skills from the PD.  Other skills and duties from the PD may not be in the add.  Questions could be about the other duties.

Tiredofwork  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:50:40 AM(UTC)
Tiredofwork

Strong people skills? Strong writing skills? Could be anything. A job at a particular office might have to have a strong skillset in something else to help relate to the others working there or other duties that are outside the normal OPM job description, and it isn't the main qualifier.

I don't see anything wrong with it. 
mattychaz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:04:11 AM(UTC)
mattychaz

I have interviewed twice, and it seems like the interview questions mirrored the job description.  There were also behavioral questions, like "What did you do when you disagreed with a supervisor, how did you handle it?"  I do think it is important, however, to know a lot about the agency and office for which you are applying.  I am always prepared to know the Mission, current issues, how it is administered, etc..  In fact, I wish that is what I was asked!  Easier than behavioral questions!

Good luck--still sounds like you did well.
lolo  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 5:49:42 AM(UTC)
lolo

Thanks for the responses. I've interviewed successfully with this agency before and the questions were much more specific and linked to the announcement.  This just was so unexpected!  I mean why not spend those 15 minutes asking me questions that are not on my resume and really get to the heart of my ability to do the job?

So just to give a little more information.  The duties of the position cover 4 skill sets and three of them were listed in the job announcement.  The fourth was not.  Yet one of the interviewers seemed to think that was the most important skill.  If that's the case, why not put it in the announcement?  That way they'd get candidates that had those skills.  I feel like I can fulfill the duties of the position, but I'm much stronger in the other (listed) skills.  Guess I'll find out soon enough, though!  Approve
stofed  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:32:18 PM(UTC)
stofed

What your describing about duties not described in the job announcement but focused on in the interview is fair game for litigation.  You would probably win in this case.  

TheFrederalGovt  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:03:23 PM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

LSo you have averaged 11 posts a day since you joined stofed... why not tell us more about yourself... so we can get greater insight into your point of view. Just randomly come across thia site 5 days ago and feel compelled to repeat the same unsupported information without providing your litigation or military experience. Just admit you had q canceled ID. No way you come out of nowhere to average 11 POSTS A DAY!!!
stofed  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:23:11 PM(UTC)
stofed

TheFrederalGovt wrote:
LSo you have averaged 11 posts a day since you joined stofed... why not tell us more about yourself... so we can get greater insight into your point of view. Just randomly come across thia site 5 days ago and feel compelled to repeat the same unsupported information without providing your litigation or military experience. Just admit you had q canceled ID. No way you come out of nowhere to average 11 POSTS A DAY!!!

My experience in my current federal job, past federal jobs, or with my significant amount of litigation experience.  The answer to your question is I bring a wealth of information in all of them and am glad to have discovered this great federal job forum and I'm here to help. 
Rss Feed  Atom Feed