Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed1969  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:57:59 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Groups: Registered

The supreme court should rule on Obama Care shortly.  I prefer FEHB.  I wonder what others prefer.  I suspect if Obama Care stays around as is, FEHB will require some major changes.
Kathi52  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:17:34 PM(UTC)
Kathi52

Ed Z. has already addressed this; refer to a previous post.
Fed1969  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 10:09:14 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

I noticed someone prefers Obama Care.  I wonder why they think it is better than FEHB.
martyb  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 10:46:02 PM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Fed1969, why would you even care, since you are not a fed, never were one, and are not a participant in FEHB?  You are ridiculous.

Forum trolls to 0%
spence  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:49:52 AM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This is a peculiar poll.  FEHB stays around under Obamacare.  The main impact of Obamacare is on people who are not fortunate enough to already have access to health insurance.  I voted "Other" because it's a false choice. 
darster  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:59:12 AM(UTC)
darster

FEHB will disappear no matter the outcome. If Obamacare is upheld, it will disappear. If it is shot down, the republican voucher plan will eventually win out and FEHB will disappear.  In the end under Obamacare you will pay more. Under the voucher plan, you will pay more. It's a lose lose for FEHB.
Fed1969  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 4:06:11 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

darster wrote:
FEHB will disappear no matter the outcome. If Obamacare is upheld, it will disappear. If it is shot down, the republican voucher plan will eventually win out and FEHB will disappear.  In the end under Obamacare you will pay more. Under the voucher plan, you will pay more. It's a lose lose for FEHB.

darster has a great point.  We don't know what will happen to FEHB if Obama Care is upheld.  I suspect FEHB will stay around is some format, but disappear as we know it now.  
spence  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 4:42:56 AM(UTC)
spence

Someone needs to tell a clear, logical story for why FEHB would change
radically if Obamacare is upheld.  I don't see it.  The population served by FEHB is basically not changing.  The healthcare system is essentially remaining private, for-profit, competitive.  There is an "excise tax" in a few years on health plans whose costs go up too fast, but that's the biggest change and although it could be negative, it could also help keep costs down. 
Where are the facts?  Where is the real economic analysis?  All I'm seeing is fearmongering and speculation.

spence2012-06-24 13:47:50
Kathi52  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:48:38 AM(UTC)
Kathi52

The FEHBP will remain in place as we know it. Per NARFE, the insistence that if Obamacare came into play that the FEHBP would remain separated out (conversation between NARFE, Obama and McCain). However, they could dump these people into the FEHBP and the costs would definitely go up (per another article on Federal News Radio) not too long ago. And those costs would be on the backs of Feds if NOT kept separate. Anyway, I agree with you spence because these are the only two things I have read where it was discussed; too bad it wasn't in great detail. But no, the FEHBP won't go away...not in my opinion.
OUtside  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:05:50 AM(UTC)
OUtside

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

spence, there is an interesting footnote to your comment that ‘The population served by FEHB is basically not changing.’

Apparently, there are quite a number of federal employees who are not enrolled in fehb plans.  If the mandate is upheld and these employees enroll when the time comes, assuming they are younger and healthier employees, their enrollment could be a mitigating factor vs. overall future fehb premium increases.

Not discussed too often in these conversations but ironically a possible cost saver for current fehb subscribers.  

GSBS  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:26:33 AM(UTC)
GSBS

ObamaCare is a life saver, and offers access to insurance just like we have, to anyone who can pay for it. It is the death of employer provided insurance as we know it. With ObamaCare everyone is welcome no matter what deadly or infectious disease you have! No pre existing condition is denied. Costs are going to rise, and we will have to pay more for our FEHB plans. FEHB plans are grandfathered OUT of the Affordable Care Act, and any special provisions which apply to those plans do not apply to us. Its a no win situation.  FEHB is also now welcoming many American Indian Tribes. Not known to be the healthiest group either?  Its all about costs and benefits provided.
OUtside  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:36:17 AM(UTC)
OUtside

upandup explained on another thread that it depends on the fehb plan whether it is grandfathered with respect to the Act.  He (she) is correct, I looked at several brochures, at least one according to my recollection said it was grandfathered, others said they were using provisions of the Act.   Looking carefully at a retiree’s brochure will reveal whether the plan is grandfathered (or not).

Costs for future health care in US remain to be seen.  One factor to take into account is that hospital charges for those currently without insurance result in an estimated $1000 extra per insured family plan across the country.   That’s a big deal to account for where millions do not have insurance but would realize coverage under the new system.

It is also important to recognize that fehb feds stand to continue their own risk group status for fed working employees and retirees, as far as I know.  

GSBS  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:32:08 AM(UTC)
GSBS

I don't think we have our own risk group status,  if we did would it be better than any other group? Most Government workers seem very unhealthy! I'm sure the newer FEHB plans will participate in the Affordable Care Act, although I'm not sure what it does vs the other Grandfathered out FEHB plans that most of us have. As you remember OUtside, I was very upset about being reimbursed at the Medicare rate from my Insurance company when I'm not on Medicare after smashing my head. I was told by BCBS  I was lucky they were even paying that.  Now I find out  the non participating ER billing company wrote off 100% of the excess amount!

Allowing every known risk group to enter the general health care population is going to overload the preferred health care system in the U.S. as we know it   Also how does someone purchase coverage under the Affordable Care Act when even the name is misleading?  There are no discounts available with costs up to 500% more than we pay as an employee. Of course if Obama follows up with any type of payment assistance for those who then can't pay,  he will single handedly wreck what is left of the medical system.
OUtside  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:38:35 PM(UTC)
OUtside

The 2012 BCBS brochure says on page 7 ‘The plan is a ‘non-grandfathered plan’ under the Affordable Care Act.”  That one plan (Standard and Basic together as fee for service) accounts for a vast number of employees and retirees who are not in grandfathered plans.  Other plans are the same.

Whatever our risk profile in fehb, it determines the fehb premiums we now pay, if the profile stays the same, we should not expect major premium changes from profile changes.  Except, note above, there apparently is a chance our profile gets less expensive if younger and healthy employees not now in fehb enroll in fehb per the mandate of the Act.

There are subsidies in the Act for uninsured to gain coverage in the state exchanges provided by the Act.   I don’t have the smarts to figure out all the ins and outs of the health economics, however, the $1000 per family plan referred to earlier is a lot of money the average family pays in their premium only because people needing care at the hospital do not have insurance or other means to pay their health bills.  Plus, not having insurance or other means, those people might wait until they are real sick before going to the emergency room when the problem could have been addressed by a primary care doc earlier for a lot less $.

Glad to hear the outcome of your non PPO billing issue, I’m not too surprised because it seemed to me you had a good case for requesting negotiation with the provider because his bill was so much higher than the going rate in the area per BC‘s method for determining the allowance.  As I recall, BC said they determined the allowance by taking the highest of three sources, one of which is the Affordable Care Act.

As the Medicare rate was used and the Affordable Care Act was lower, the provider apparently accepted the rate as reasonable and was satisfied.    

GSBS  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:02:14 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Yes! With so many members here who give terrible and inaccurate advice,  I want to thank you for being so thorough in your replies. Sure I just read again that a grandfathered health plan isn’t required to comply with some of the consumer protections of the Affordable Care Act that apply to other health plans that are not grandfathered,  but page 7 is clear, at least about BCBS and I assume all the current FEHB plans. Is this a hobby or your specialty? Reason why I ask is you knew what I was talking about all along which is kind of scarry! My head is still hurting but at least I don't have to pay anything for it!
**BREAKING NEWS, OBAMA CARE HAS PASSED*GSBS2012-06-28 08:02:32
Rss Feed  Atom Feed