Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LSA  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:34:30 AM(UTC)
LSA

Groups: Registered

Now that it's full steam ahead for Obamacare will it effect the FEHB that the employees take with them when they retire. e.g. retiree and/or Uncle Sam payments to for the FEHB coverage ($s up or $s down), policy coverage changes or other incidentals?

It seems like if 30 million more people are to be covered then the Federal Retiree payments should skyrocket every 2 weeks (or is it every month for retirees).

Even if these new people being covered don't pay into the FEHB directly, FEHB will certainly be effected by the new demands for doctors, hospitals and surgical  coverage. Demand will be far greater than supply when looking at the 300, 000, 000 people that are going to have to be covered in one way or another.

With the tax payed by the newbies for OBAMACARE being minimal won't Federal Retiree rates along with Private Company Employer rates have to quickly increase to cover everyone else?

Will this be the start of the demise of the FEHB as we know it?

hearth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:57:00 AM(UTC)
hearth

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
LSA wrote:
Now that it's full steam ahead for Obamacare will it effect the FEHB that the employees take with them when they retire. e.g. retiree and/or Uncle Sam payments to for the FEHB coverage ($s up or $s down), policy coverage changes or other incidentals?

It seems like if 30 million more people are to be covered then the Federal Retiree payments should skyrocket every 2 weeks (or is it every month for retirees).

Even if these new people being covered don't pay into the FEHB directly, FEHB will certainly be effected by the new demands for doctors, hospitals and surgical  coverage. Demand will be far greater than supply when looking at the 300, 000, 000 people that are going to have to be covered in one way or another.

With the tax payed by the newbies for OBAMACARE being minimal won't Federal Retiree rates along with Private Company Employer rates have to quickly increase to cover everyone else?

Why do you think it will adversely affect FEHB?  Why do you think there will be NEW demands for doctors, etc.?  Why do you think demand will be greater than supply or will be so changed?  Please explain.  Please don't cry "wolf" if there isn't one.  If there is, please tell use where you see it.  When did they throw everyone into FEHB if they aren't Fed employees????
MMOB  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:09:06 AM(UTC)
MMOB

LSA wrote:

It seems like you're an idiot.

No, wait a minute; I take that back.

There's no "seems like" about it.

GSBS  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:26:34 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
FEHB just purchases the polices from 3rd party vendors, and at the highest prices possible!  Of course FEHB and private insurance rates are going to skyrocket as every disease is now welcome and anyone can join the pool. For those who can't afford it, federal subsidies will help pay your Premiums. Federal employees not eligible. As a young retiree I sure would love to dump my FEHB plan now that the homeless in my town will get the same or better health benefits while also able to collect more cash and assistance than my Federal Pension offers? 
LSA  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:37:16 AM(UTC)
LSA

texasvet54  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:21:48 AM(UTC)
texasvet54

MMOB,

Do you and LSA have a history that would justify calling LSA an "idiot?"

Anyone who can look into their crystal ball and predict what the future holds with Obamacare, both from a financial and a patient care point of view, is a lot smarter than I am.

BTW, I retired at 12/31/11 and I'm pretty smart :-)

I'm sorry, I wasn't truthful there.  I'm very smart ;-)

texasvet

fedman53  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:50:14 PM(UTC)
fedman53

I'm not sure what the overall impact, especially with incidentals coming into play in 2013 - 2018. In 2013 itemized medical deductions will have to be over 10% of AGI instead if current 7.5%. There will be less of a medical deduction. In 2018, 'Cadilac' programs - of which there is only ONE currently in FEHB, will be taxed. There is no new tax for newbies, unless they refuse coverage. I'm not even sure how this would be enforced.

The allowing of 'pre-existing' conditions is a non-issue for FEHB, as FEHB has allowed Employees/retirees/family with pre-existing conditions in the program for DECADES. Premiums have not skyrocketed or coverage tanked. The addition, in 2012, of children up to age 26 had no major impact on premiums (its older employees, retirees, family that are the major users of services) Even before reform, some plans had priced themselves out of the market (HMO's) with new coming in to replace them. This is nothing new.

People in the FEHB program will remain the same as No non federal employee's/retirees/families will be part of FEHB program (as once proposed), so there will be no major influx of people into FEHB. More comes down to the whim of Congress who are proposing cutting federal employee benefits (premium co-pays), not just in the FEHB area. Also, A lot depends on the negotiation skills of OPM to keep Premiums as low as possible and coverage as high as possible. The demise of FEHB is not in the picture, even with reform.

There are many people with no coverage either by choice or ability to pay, even in the FEHB program today. Many 'younger' federal employees are not covered by choice, as they 'say', they are healthy and don't need or want to pay. I'm not sure how the influx of these people inside and out of FEHB with effect things, but as it stands now, if you are injured and go to any emergency room they can not turn you away, so the demand, when needed, is already there. Go to any hospital on a Friday or Saturday night. Demand may increase, especially for preventative care, but premiums will be 'paid in' to cover. I know in my area hospitals are closing whole wings because of reduced use now     
Fed1969  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:04:36 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Which FEHB is considered the Cadilac?  
fedman53  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:15:35 PM(UTC)
fedman53

This may only be for my state and are 2012 Premiums (2018 a long way away), but AETNA Open Access -High Self and High Family comes in at $12,324 and $29,718 respectivly in yearly total (gov't and employee) premium cost.
LSA  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 5:33:17 AM(UTC)
LSA

FROM CNN:

"...medical professionals across the country are wondering: When an
additional 32 million Americans get medical insurance, who exactly is going to treat them?"

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/29/health/doctor-shortage-affordable-care-act/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

postalvet  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 11:47:21 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

my federal health benefit provider sent me a letter and said NOTHING will change!!!!
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
MMOB  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 3:07:45 AM(UTC)
MMOB

texasvet54 wrote:
MMOB,

Do you and LSA have a history that would justify calling LSA an "idiot?"

The history is that LSA is obsessed with searching the web for anything negative that even remotely pertains to federal employees and/or retirees, and then posts the links here, usually without comment.  I refer to LSA as an idiot because more often than not, LSA has misconstrued the information contained in the article, and then compounds the error by being incapable of adding any coherent independent thought or information to the post.
mtg2005  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:48:44 PM(UTC)
mtg2005

hearth  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:27:16 PM(UTC)
hearth

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
LSA wrote:

Are you trying to make something out of nothing?  http://www.govexec.com/p...anges-little-feds/56516/

OUtside  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:59:59 AM(UTC)
OUtside

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

A similar system began in Mass when Mitt Romney was governor. Only about 1% of state citizens don’t participate and become subject to the tax. That is not a large percentage.

In the federal plan, the tax is an incentive to participate, ie, become covered by health insurance either through employer or from the state exchanges set up by the reform or under expanded Medicaid for the indigent. I heard a discussion on the radio saying there won’t be much enforcement for the tax, a taxpayer will indicate on income tax return if he/she has health insurance, if not, the tax would be added.

However, there would not be civil or criminal measures if the person doesn’t pay. If the person is due a tax refund, the amount would be deducted from the refund.

A significant factor not too often discussed is that in the current system, it is estimated about $1000 of the of the average family health insurance premium covers hospital expenses for those without insurance but receiving hospital treatment. The hospital cannot deny the treatment and has to cover the cost. That leaves those having insurance to pay the cost in the current system. And the cost is expensive because people without insurance tend to wait to seek treatment because they don’t have resources and, in addition, it is expensive to have hospitals giving the first line of care.

Surely the patients require the treatment, I wouldn’t argue that. But with the talk of what do you call the ‘tax?,’ what do you call this added $1000 per family?

I call it expensive and way overdue for reform.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed