Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beppo  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 1:31:49 AM(UTC)
Beppo

Groups: Registered

Hi folks. I've been a PSE Clerk for just over a year now. A custodian at my facility sort of whispered to me that a PSE custodian position will be opening up soon and to look into it. Supposedly the pay will be the same, but without the stress of rushing to push the mail out everyday, and also no MDO/SDO breathing down your neck. Is there any truth to this? Are custodians and clerks in the same union? I thought the position of PSE was exclusively for clerks? Is the possibility of a career position as a custodian more likely to open up than for career clerk? Does anyone have a PSE custodian in their facility? Has anyone here changed over from clerk to custodian? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 4:23:46 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

PSE = postal support employee and is used in any APWU craft, clerk, maintenance and yes custodian is maintenance, and motor vehicle.

so contact the maintenance manager and let them know you are interested.

I was in maintenance for over ten years very laid back.  most people who go to maintenance like it.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
nanuts  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 8:08:38 AM(UTC)
nanuts

There was a PSE custodian in my orientation class last year.  They were to be a custodian at a plant, at level 4 pay... so I would confirm the pay rate to make sure it would be the same as what you are getting now.
gianthook  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 9:43:50 AM(UTC)
gianthook

Custodians are Level 4 pay. 

Beppo  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 9:39:42 PM(UTC)
Beppo

What's Level 4 pay? I work in a plant so I get $14.60/hr. Of course, we're kept to 30-36 hours per week, so it's not as much as other places. Would there be any chance at more hours as a custodian or is it like everything else, that it all depends on the facility?
PostalinIA  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 10:53:43 PM(UTC)
PostalinIA

PSE custodians are hired at level 4 which is 12.38 an hour.

The problem with changing over to PSE Custodian is two-fold.  First PSE conversion to regular is going to be entirely done due to staffing percentages.  In the clerk craft the cap is 20% for both Function 1 (Plant) and Function 4 (customer service)  The percentage is calculated by district and most districts have been pretty aggressive in hiring Function 1 PSE's.  In maintenance the cap is 10% of all maintenance craft jobs but most districts haven't been quite as aggressive in filling those.  Ultimately almost 50% of all custodian positions will be filled by PSE's.  Your path to a career position will be much longer in maintenance than in the clerk craft.

Second, and this is something I have been dealing with in my area, is the USPS position that if you change between functions a new period of seniority begins and nobody is quite sure how this is going to affect OPM rules for insurance purposes.  Even though we have had PSE's now for over a year, this is still relatively new, and we still facing problems for the first time.

Your question about hours you answered yourself.  It is going to installation specific.  It will depend on how many custodial positions are vacant and whether or not the local Union has filed an MS-47 grievance to cover the vacant custodial hours.
TexasClk  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 11:37:17 PM(UTC)
TexasClk

Our PSE custodian gets $12.38/hr.  Another thing you might be concerned with:  a lot of maintenance guys will be accepting custodian positions with saved grade to prevent being excessed to the carrier craft.  When that happens a lot of PSEs will be laid off.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed