Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rather not  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 11:18:30 PM(UTC)
accesser12

Groups: Registered

What clearance level does Obama have? Confidential, Secret, or TS? LOL

Tiredofwork  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 04, 2012 2:19:56 AM(UTC)

Heh, I've wondered that myself. I might even guess to say he doesn't have one for a variety of reasons. Well, Obama may have one from a previous job, but I imagine the office of the president doesn't require one. 

Or maybe the secret service do one when he become a major party candidate?

All I know, if he does require one, I feel bad for the guy who has to give a VIP like the president a life style poly, haha. 

Tiredofwork2012-08-04 10:25:29
Zephyrus  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 04, 2012 5:56:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've wondered the same thing recently but for a different reason.  Foreign bank accounts are big no-no s for clearances but one has to assume that it is a non-issue at the presidential level since Swiss and Cayman bank accounts are not show stoppers.
bmj2  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 04, 2012 11:15:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 52 post(s)
What would it matter?  I'm sorry Mr President, but you're not cleared for that?  He afterall, is the ultimate decider on what is classified.
fedsRule  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 04, 2012 12:07:10 PM(UTC)

I'm fairly sure the OP meant this thread to be a joke, but for everyone else, elected officials at the federal level don't get security clearances.  They are cleared for access to classified information just for getting elected to their office.
jrhoads  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:57:47 AM(UTC)

fedsRule wrote:
I'm fairly sure the OP meant this thread to be a joke, but for everyone else, elected officials at the federal level don't get security clearances.  They are cleared for access to classified information just for getting elected to their office.
This is also what I have read. I doubt that some elected officials could pass the BI and poly.

My question is do their staff members have to be cleared? Those people are not elected. I would hope that some checks are done on them as they probably have similar access to info as the elected official.
cpt biggs  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 2:35:26 AM(UTC)

He would be cleared to receive acces to SCI and above information. By that point, every stone was turned with the election process. His staff is vetted and cleared by USSS before they enter the white house for employment.
SpeedDemon  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 2:43:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Encrypted or above - 
bozo  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 4:54:20 AM(UTC)

There are probably people on here with access to more critical information than the president. However, there's no TS/SCI/SSBI or whatever that would come remotely close to the vetting process elected officials normally receive...before AND after being elected. 

Zephyrus  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:03:27 AM(UTC)

bozo wrote:
There are probably people on here with access to more critical information than the president. However, there's no TS/SCI/SSBI or whatever that would come remotely close to the vetting process elected officials normally receive...before AND after being elected. 

Would that be the same vetting process that allowed John Edwards to run as a presidential candidate or the vetting process that resulted in him being nominated as a VP candidate?
fedsRule  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:24:51 AM(UTC)

Or the same vetting process that failed to discover the Paula Jones incident until after President Clinton was elected?
Knight  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:29:42 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 397 post(s)

Or the same one that cannot prove or disprove the birther issue? Now i'm scared. Vetting means nothing.
chili.relleno  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:18:15 AM(UTC)

What if someone doesn't "vet" (whatever that means) and gets elected anyway?  Could happen.

POTUS is commander-in-chief of the armed forces.  If he needs to know something he'll be told, period.
Knight  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:36:29 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 397 post(s)

vettingpresent participle of vet (Verb)

Verb:
  1. Make a careful and critical examination of (something).
  2. Investigate (someone) thoroughly, esp. in order to ensure that they are suitable for a job requiring secrecy, loyalty, or trustworthiness
will dieterich  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:17:23 PM(UTC)
Attempt2

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
President, member of congress, etc do not have a security clearance that a career person has.  Based on thier position they are automaticlly granted access to most material they need for thier duties.  Some committes do require that the member swear an oath or something similar to be a member of that committe.

Staff memeber are required to get a security clearance but it is done by a seperate office so the process is quicker.
bozo  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:49:21 PM(UTC)

LOL..All excellent points, and kind of supports what Im getting at. The difference is security vulnerability versus personal issues, which is actually a component of high level security investigations. Yes Obama's birth certificate or George Bush's NG record, Clinton's sexual escapades or Cheney's stock in Halliburton are all riddled with conflict, but will those things matter if the CIA wants to put two operatives in Boliva or Kashmir? Its like asking on a secret clearance if you've ever cheated on your spouse...these things only matter during an election cycle...
bishop50  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 1:02:06 AM(UTC)

I thought it was yankie white for the president and everyone that works around him?

Ive often wondered if the same clearance standards applied to us are the same that are applied to congress pol figures etc.

I say this cause there are some elected officials with known criminal records. ( there was a report on it once)

Zephyrus  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 9:50:29 AM(UTC)

bishop50 wrote:
I thought it was yankie white for the president and everyone that works around him?

Ive often wondered if the same clearance standards applied to us are the same that are applied to congress pol figures etc.

I say this cause there are some elected officials with known criminal records. ( there was a report on it once)

Which brings to mind Jim Traficant from Ohio.  He and his infamous rug were expelled from Congress (by a bipartisan vote of 420-1) for taking bribes and filing false tax returns among other things.  He was convicted on federal racketeering charges and spent 7 years in the slammer (minus his rug).  He was allowed to run for Congress while in federal prison (and still got 15% of the vote).  He even had the stones to run again for his own seat less than a year after completion of his prison term.  As a civil service aspirant, try putting all that on your SF-86 and see how far you'd get in the process. 
me  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:44:34 AM(UTC)
nana25

so what happens when members of congress leak classified information to the press to suit their political agenda? A lot of them seem to do it. Does the government investigate this?
GSBS  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:21:40 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 155 post(s)
nana25 wrote:
so what happens when members of congress leak classified information to the press to suit their political agenda? A lot of them seem to do it. Does the government investigate this?
I don't know but what does that have to do with the President's security clearance?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed