Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
loba-verde  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:46:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Does the two-step rule apply to a temporary promotion? Is it actually possible to promote and receive a pay cut? Here's the story: I'm on a NTE 120-day detail/temp promotion, going from a 7/3 in the 0303 series ($48,985 in the San Jose locality pay table) to a 9/1 in the 0560 series, $47,448 in the RUS locality pay table). I thought the 2-step rule would apply to this temp promo detail (i.e., 7/3 to 7/5 on the San Jose table, then matched/exceeded on the RUS table). My regular unit's HR person agrees, but the TDY's HR person does not. My HR person says that at a minimum they are required to match my current salary, but she did not cite any guidance. Any help on this would be most appreciated.
BOPLT  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:08:22 PM(UTC)

Yes you are not to loose money, the two step rule applies regardless. The idea behind temp promotions is two fill a position and give the employee the opurtunity to learn the job at that grade level. See below link about temp promotions.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/pay/html/promotqa.asp
Knight  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:23:06 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 395 post(s)

My gut says:
The change to the RUS would occur if you were moving there but since you actually live in San Jose they have to keep you on that chart. Your home station is still paying your right? They make the call.

loba-verde  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:21:39 PM(UTC)

Home station is not still paying me, the TDY is. And, they seem to feel that if I took the job permanently after a successful recruitment and offer (i.e., break in service at that location) I would have to take the cut in pay because of the liviing expenses issue.
loba-verde  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:31:37 PM(UTC)

I've read this several times, and so has their HR person. It does not deal with a temporary promotion situation specifically however. And, their HR staff is interpreting "basic pay" as going to the basic pay schedule to calculate everything and, voila, the 9/1 RUS rate is a pay increase over the basic pay schedule rate. Again, I am not sure if this applies to a temporary promotion in any case.

A5: Agencies must first process a geographic conversion before deciding which promotion method to apply. When an employee’s official worksite is changed to a new location upon promotion where different pay schedules apply*, the agency must convert the employee to the applicable pay schedule(s) and rate(s) of basic pay for the new official worksite based on the
employee’s position of record before promotion before applying the two-step promotion rule. The agency must set the employee’s rate(s) of basic pay in the applicable pay schedule(s) in the new location based on
his or her position of record (including grade) and step (or rate)
immediately before the change in the employee’s official worksite. The
resulting rate must be used as the existing rate in applying the
two-step promotion rule. (See 5 CFR 531.206 and 531.214 for rules on
processing other pay actions that may occur simultaneously with a promotion action.)

Knight  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:38:28 PM(UTC)

Man

Yes, if it is to be permanent then you will have the pay of RUS and the lose in amount. Example, anyone that moves from DC to the real world takes a drop in pay. You keep your level and step (9/1 in your example) but you get the new (lower) amount. If the temp promo is a TDY and you plan to return to San Jose then I would see you getting paid off the higher chart.
Fed GS  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:56:30 AM(UTC)

5CFR § 531.205 Converting pay upon change in location of employee's official worksite.
When an employee's official worksite is changed to a new location where different pay schedules apply, the agency must convert the employee's rate(s) of basic pay to the applicable pay schedule(s) in the new location. The agency must first set the employee's rate(s) of basic pay in the applicable pay schedule(s) in the new location based on his or her position of record (including grade) and step immediately before the change in the employee's official worksite. The resulting rate must be used as the existing rate in processing the next simultaneous pay action in the order of precedence, using the applicable pay schedules in the new location.
(e) Temporary promotions. Pay is set for an employee receiving a temporary promotion on the same basis as a permanent promotion. Upon expiration or termination of the temporary promotion, pay is set as provided in § 531.215

Your pay was set correctly. Your records will reflect the promotion from a GS-07 step 3 to a GS-09 Step 1. The salary change from the promotion is due to being promoted in a new geo area.
Fed GS2012-08-09 09:20:44
loba-verde  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:04:43 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful, although for my bank account not so much...
Knight  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:24:45 AM(UTC)

Man

But on the plus side your cost of living should be better. There are cost of living calculators that can show you what you need vs what you get.

I did $56k (9/1) in San Jose vs ?? in Kansas City Mo (RUS) and got this:

Equivalent income in the city you are moving to: $36,621.36. You may take a 34.60% decrease and still maintain your standard of living.
So the RUS 9/1 of $47k is awesome in KC.
---------------
Bottomline, your $ amount may change but your quality of life might get better.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed