Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GreenTurtlez  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:42:45 PM(UTC)
GreenTurtlez

Groups: Registered

My office has an office wide community calendar on our computer system which allows the ability to check employees whereabouts in regards to annual leave, sick leave, schedules, training, etc...    It was discovered that there was an entry on a particular day for "Baseball game for Supervisors" scheduled during duty hours (it is fact that this was not an official meeting, representation or public honoring on behalf of the agency but just an invitation from a local minor league baseball team to attend the game).  It was then discovered that 9 of the 10 members of management on duty in the office attended the game during duty hours in which they were gone the entire duty day and did not claim leave and submitted their time and attendance as if they actually worked.  

Anytime there is an invitation for an invite to a game or a function outside of the office during duty hours for non-supervisory employees we must utilize leave but apparently supervisors/management is exempt. 

Is this considered Fraud in regards to knowingly falsely reporting Time and attendance hours ?

GreenTurtlez2012-08-29 23:49:25
datbehard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:57:35 PM(UTC)
datbehard

Sure, call OIG!!!
I'm sure Oosik was there, maybe we can get him fired and he'd switch sides.

BTW, he still hasn't answered my question!!
the rock99  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:09:52 PM(UTC)
the rock99

It depends on the agency and their timekeeping rules for FLSA exempt employees.  For example in the USPS FLSA exempt employees are allowed (with their bosses approval) to take personal time off which is not chargeable as leave as long as they work that day,  normally they have to work 4 hours and can take up to 4 hours off without being charged leave.  EAS employees are (or at least were) not allowed to take less than 8 hours of leave at a time, so if you needed a partial day off you have to use personal time (there are some exceptions to this for FMLA related conditions)

MgmtGuy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:45:34 AM(UTC)
MgmtGuy

Dat, I actually am not a great fan of baseball so, sadly, I was not present at whatever game was being played.  If I were to go to such an event I would ABSOLUTELY be in a leave status.  You may not like the positions I take or the advice I give, but I am not a hypocrite. 

As for the issue at hand, I have personally advised supervisors (and their employees) that they cannot take administrative leave or official time to engage in recreational activities like golf, tennis, or going to sports games.  That is, they must be attending on their day off or in an annual leave status. The only exception that I am aware of, is when an activity conducts an organization day and there are activities that the entire organization is participating in.   As the Rock notes, there may also be some flexibility to work the requisite hours of the day by early arrival or returning to work after the game.

If you comfortable, speak to a supervisor about it and let them know that the rank and file see it as an abuse of time and attendance.  Perhaps there is a rational explanation or maybe they will correct their time.  Management officials should apply time and attendance rules for themselves in a very rigid fashion and they should not be cutting corners. 

If you don't feel comfortable with going to a supervisor, consider contacting the legal or HR office or filing a complaint with the inspector general.

Note that there can also be ethics rule implications if they accepted free attendance at a sporting event -- particularly if they are getting free tickets because of their senior status. 

I don't have any problem in meting out discipline for supervisors or management officials.  They are supposed to know and apply the rules.  
GreenTurtlez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:32:23 AM(UTC)
GreenTurtlez

Thanks for all the replies to this thread.  I work for a federal law enforcement agency and it is a pretty hot issue going on in the office.  A few of the management officials was questioned about this and they claimed that it was a baseball game for fellow law enforcement officers from different agencies (An appreciation day supposedly).  Even so, the feeling in the office is leave should of been used to attend an event such as this.  I have been to a few major league baseball games and NBA basketball games for law enforcement appreciation type of events and we (the rank and file) had to utilize annual leave to attend unless it was your day off or on off duty hours. 
Knight  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 8:01:11 AM(UTC)
Knight

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

We might allow one person to attend on GOV time as the official rep but any others would have to take leave. Many times I represent my unit at awards banquets.

However, when in doubt we take leave.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed