Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Elle925  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:27:39 PM(UTC)
Elle925

Groups: Registered

If anyone has had a desk audit recently, I would really like to know what questions they ask. I am considering asking for an audit but am a little unsure how to start. I work in a small federal agency of about 60 people and I really don't trust the one HR person that we have on staff. I appreciate any help or advice given. thanks.
mudpie  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 12:57:01 AM(UTC)
mudpie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Double edged sword...you can be downgraded as well. Go to OPM.gov and search for the rating guide for your series. Search for GS-2210 for example. The rating guide will tell you the position responsibilities and detail the points need to qualify for each grade. What series are you?
W2R  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 3:11:24 AM(UTC)
W2R

Last year my supervisor decided that I should be given an Accretion of Duties Promotion. My job was a GS 11/12, and I was promoted to a GS-13, so I guess she had to justify it and provide a new, expanded job description.

As part of the procedure, it was decided that I should have a desk audit. At first I didn't want to do it, because I felt it might be seen as a hostile action. But my supervisor persuaded me that it was at her request and that I should go ahead. I think that was so that personnel could see (for the record) that I really had had a serious accretion of duties!

The lady in personnel first made me feel at home, and said there was nothing to be afraid of and so on (because I probably looked terrified). Then in a very friendly and nice way, she asked me what I had done in each of the aspects of my job that were in my new job description. She wrote down what I said. Then she said she was done.

I asked her when I would find out the results, and she told me, and I left. That was all!

I don't know of anybody in my agency who has asked for a desk audit and got a promotion out of it without having their supervisor backing them. But then, maybe I just don't know about it! Smile
Elle925  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 3:53:43 AM(UTC)
Elle925

Thanks for your comments. I'm currently in a 301 series. I don't think my supervisor will be so reassuring if I ask her for an audit or accretion of duties promotion. There are some internal things going on in my agency, that would take to long to explain, so I'm weighing my options on receiving my next grade here or looking for another job. I don't want to leave under these circumstances, I'd rather leave when I'm completely ready.

From what I've gathered, there are standard questions that auditors tend to ask. A close friend had a copy of such questions obtained from a director in HR, but he has lost the copy. If I do decide on the audit, I want to be as prepared as I can be.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed