Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
delovibrio  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 4:44:31 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

Groups: Registered

I was talking to two te's who for at a nearby office, they saw me in uniform and started asking me questions. I am a ptf so I was horrified at what they told me.

They basically told me, 5 out of 6 days they come in and just work one or two hours, usually doing box collection or a bump.

They told me for the past 4 months, they are only getting the hours that they worked in their pay checks.

example: one hour monday, 2 hours tuesday, one hour wed, 3 hours thursday, 30 mins fri, 2 hours sat. total hours worked= 9 hours and 30 mins.

I told them their pay check should have been 24 hours since te's are guaranteed 4 hours.

They said when they brought that up to their postmaster she said, there is not 4 hours available so they will not get payed 4 hours, she does not care what the contract says, and if they tell any one they will get fired on the spot.

who do I report this two?
TEinsanity  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 4:58:54 AM(UTC)
TEinsanity

If they get fired on the spot for bringing to light a violation of the contract, their postmaster will have more to worry about than just not paying them the time they should be paid. I'd advise them to talk to their union steward if they have one. If not, just keep working their way up the union chain until they find someone that will listen and act on it.

nodoubt  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 7:15:35 AM(UTC)
nodoubt

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

delovibrio wrote:

I was talking to two te's who for at a nearby office, they saw me in uniform and started asking me questions. I am a ptf so I was horrified at what they told me.

They basically told me, 5 out of 6 days they come in and just work one or two hours, usually doing box collection or a bump.

They told me for the past 4 months, they are only getting the hours that they worked in their pay checks.

example: one hour monday, 2 hours tuesday, one hour wed, 3 hours thursday, 30 mins fri, 2 hours sat. total hours worked= 9 hours and 30 mins.

I told them their pay check should have been 24 hours since te's are guaranteed 4 hours.

They said when they brought that up to their postmaster she said, there is not 4 hours available so they will not get payed 4 hours, she does not care what the contract says, and if they tell any one they will get fired on the spot.

who do I report this two?

Did they say if the PM used their annual leave to add up to 4 hours for each day?

I remember one time I worked 3 hours and 12 minutes....and the rest was used with AL. I was fine with it though....since it was the only time I worked less than 4 hours.

I mean as a TE you really don't wanna push management's buttons...but a TE is human too.
nodoubt2012-09-14 15:21:24
the rock99  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 8:07:09 AM(UTC)
the rock99

are you sure all TEs are guaranteed 4 hours, in smaller offices PTFs are only guaranteed 2.

boober  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 8:11:11 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Interesting... Confused

boober2012-09-14 17:51:17
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
alpine2g  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 8:18:03 AM(UTC)
alpine2g

Just another fine example of us being screwed over. Waiting for the "Hey be happy to have a job response" that is all to common here.

If it is happening, the union steward must know about it and if he does have them call the local Nation Business office and get a grievance rolling.  They cannot be fired for bringing this to light, unless the P.O. wants to be in hot water by the Nalc and Dept of labor.

5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
boober  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 9:10:20 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
alpine2g is right, these TE's should be happy to even have a job. Especially in this economy.

[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
unclejimbo  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 9:24:19 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
From the JCAM, Article 8:
• A part-time flexible employee requested or scheduled to work in a post
office or facility with 200 or more workyears of employment is guaranteed
four hours of work (or pay in lieu of work). If branch officers need
to determine if their post office has 200 or more workyears of employment,
they should contact their national business agent.
• A part-time flexible employee requested or scheduled to work in a
post office or facility with fewer than 200 workyears of employment
is guaranteed two hours of work (or pay in lieu of work).

From Article 7, TE questions and answers:
17. Do transitional employees have a work hour guarantee?
Yes, Article 8, Section 8.D of the National Agreement provides the following: Any
transitional employee who is scheduled to work and who reports for work shall be
guaranteed four(4) hours’ work or pay.

If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
delovibrio  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 9:32:36 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

Their postmaster will be in my office tomorrow, taking out a rural carrier for rural inspection, I will ask her right in front of everyone tomorrow. I hate pm's acting all high and mighty, this will be fun!
unclejimbo  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 9:38:38 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

While I like the idea of calling out PM's when they have it coming (as this one surely does), you could be getting the TE's in hot water. You'll have to come up with an alternate explanation for how you found out. 

If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
NECArrier  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 9:58:27 AM(UTC)
NECArrier

Delovbrio: Hook their steward up with this information. He can request their clock rings and grieve it for them, thus taking the heat and possibly saving their jobs. No point embarrassing the PM if they lose their jobs, no positive outcome there. The steward cannot be fired.
If it goes thru the grievance procedure, there is an opportunity for that PM's superior to instruct her on the ethical obligations of following the contract.
dhacker56  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 10:11:52 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Stewards can not be fired??

alpine2g  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 11:06:49 AM(UTC)
alpine2g

boober wrote:
alpine2g is right, these TE's should be happy to even have a job. Especially in this economy.

It would be used as another threat against them. Bad enough what we deal with everyday as is. Just glad my PM has not tried to pull anything on me yet, and pretty darn fair and respectful.
5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
CalzoneSC  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 12:05:01 PM(UTC)
CalzoneSC

stewards can be disciplined the same way any employee craft of management in the usps can be. no such thing as 'untouchable' heh gota prove it tho ;)
eightup  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 2:23:55 PM(UTC)
eightup

Nobody is happy with 9-10 hours a week, I will get another job if it is happened to myself.
unclejimbo  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 7:38:20 PM(UTC)
unclejimbo

I think the point NECarrier was making was that the PM couldn't concoct an excuse to remove a steward for asking questions, whereas the TE's in question were assured they would be fired for telling people about her crime. Obviously she would fabricate some other "reason" for removing the TE's (lack of work, etc.)

It's much harder to remove a steward like that.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed