Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MidwestTE  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:19:20 PM(UTC)
MidwestTE

Groups: Registered

Had a quick question somebody might be able to answer. We had a couple Postal Automotive Tech positions come up in our area and the only employment conditions are a drivers license with 2 years driving experience and a "performance test". Anybody know what this performance test would entail? I've always enjoyed working on my own vehicles, am a 5pt vet, and have a 4 year degree in a different field. I'd be a pay cut from what I am used to as a TE working 60 hours a week pretty much every week, but it'd have set hours, is a career position, which means it would have these magical things called benefits... Technically, if somebody got hired into this position, couldn't they transfer to the carrier craft as a PTF after a year of service or something? Not that anybody in their right mind would want to do that... but is it possible? 

The times they are a-changin' - Bob Dylan
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:07:47 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

when I took the performance test it was a tune up (early 80s).  could be anything today.  if you know your way around a computer controlled vehicle you will have no problem.  automotive tech is MVS- APWU,  and you could transfer to carrier after a year.  why would it be a pay cut?
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
unclejimbo  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:02:20 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Probably a pay cut in terms of bi-weekly paychecks, since he's currently working 60 hours a week.

If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
Guts  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:28:01 AM(UTC)
Guts

MidwestTE wrote:
Had a quick question somebody might be able to answer. We had a couple Postal Automotive Tech positions come up in our area and the only employment conditions are a drivers license with 2 years driving experience and a "performance test". Anybody know what this performance test would entail? I've always enjoyed working on my own vehicles, am a 5pt vet, and have a 4 year degree in a different field. I'd be a pay cut from what I am used to as a TE working 60 hours a week pretty much every week, but it'd have set hours, is a career position, which means it would have these magical things called benefits... Technically, if somebody got hired into this position, couldn't they transfer to the carrier craft as a PTF after a year of service or something? Not that anybody in their right mind would want to do that... but is it possible? 

Yes you could. I know of someone who just did the very thing! He was tired of working on dirty vehicles. The performance test does include a light tune-up, including a brake change, fluids change, and removal/replacement of certain parts (ie: distributor, alternator, etc). Good luck!

Also, you might be required to get a CDL at a later date.

Guts2012-09-16 18:34:53
A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine<br /><br />
cmorebut  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:40:42 AM(UTC)
cmorebut

The actual work if you get the job is changing fuses rotating tires and oild changes. Anything complicated gets sent out to a contract repair shop
MidwestTE  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:34:56 AM(UTC)
MidwestTE

So I applied for the position and have to set up a test time for the 943 Exam. I guess it is 2 written sections, one 60 minutes covering automotive mechanics and one 30 minutes covering automotive technicians. Fortunately, the local community college has testing times available every day (m-f banker hours) for the positions. I guess I will have to talk with the bosses tomorrow to see a time that I'd be able to go take it. Since it is for a different position within the postal service you think they'd accommodate it,but I guess I won't know til I ask.

Granted a few of the example questions were over my head so perhaps I am biting off more than I can chew. Won't know unless I give it a go though.

postalvet  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:39:32 AM(UTC)
postalvet

make sure you read this and study hard.

"However, there seems to be a big problem finding people who can pass the
entrance exam for career mechanic positions. We were recently informed of a site
where 200 people took the written test and not a single person passed. This is an unprecedented failure rate."

more here;

Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
MidwestTE  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:26:42 AM(UTC)
MidwestTE

anybody know of any study sources for this particular exam? I Googled it but am not finding anything of much relevance. 

alpine2g  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:17:17 AM(UTC)
alpine2g

Too bad it's not near me I've been working on cars all my life!

alpine2g2012-09-20 15:23:25
5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
postalvet  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:14:23 AM(UTC)
postalvet

MidwestTE  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:49:05 AM(UTC)
MidwestTE

I've worked on my own cars ever since I got my license. Never had any formal training but have worked my way through most problems that have popped up with my cars over the year. Have rebuilt a few cars (and motorcycles) as well, but they've been older. Only area I may have problems relates to computers/code readers and more complex engine diagnostic/repair. 

unclejimbo  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:42:44 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I am not 100% sure which part of the car is the front. I'm probably a shoe-in for the job. 

If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
alpine2g  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 6:31:13 AM(UTC)
alpine2g

unclejimbo wrote:
I am not 100% sure which part of the car is the front. I'm probably a shoe-in for the job. 

Sad but true.. Have a VOMA in my station and he is clueless! LOL
5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
MidwestTE  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:56:45 AM(UTC)
MidwestTE

Took the tests today. Passed the mechanics test but I guess I failed the technician test, because it says I am ineligible. Neither one was very easy, with the Technicians test being harder. They may have written some of the questions in ancient greek for how challenging they were. Granted this is coming from someone with no formal training in auto tech, but I do know how to change the blinker fluid....Wink

Rss Feed  Atom Feed