Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tbozca  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:26:19 AM(UTC)
tbozca

Groups: Registered

What is the difference between a high risk public trust clearance and the Top Secret/Secret and Confidential clearance? If you get a high risk public trust clearance and change to a job that requires a (for example) Top Secret clearance do you have to get another background check?
JeffStop  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:13:11 AM(UTC)
JeffStop

Yes, you will have to go through another investigation. There are different levels of investigations and they dig deeper into your past for each level of clearance.
tbozca  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:03:39 AM(UTC)
tbozca

Thus a High Risk Public Trust requires less investigation than the other clearances?
JeffStop  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:34:37 AM(UTC)
JeffStop

Yes, the type of clearance you are referencing is not as extensive as the others.
PERSEC  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:45:23 PM(UTC)
PERSEC

High risk public trust is like a deeper background investigation for jobs that require no clearance.

The form is an SF-85P, when you get into security clearances you go with the online version of the SF-86.

Your public trust investigation will just be a reference they pull to make sure they match up.
Shipresa  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:44:33 AM(UTC)
Shipresa

Do agencies wait until these are positively adjudicated prior to starting the job/getting a firm offer?
mudpie  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:54:06 AM(UTC)
mudpie

Not really. They can assign an interim clearance during the background investigation. Only risk is, if they do not grant a final clearance you can lose your job.
Chilifries  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:47:35 PM(UTC)
Chilifries

Is it normal for the final security clearance background check to take longer a year? I've been on interim security clearance for approx 1 1/2 years. Now mudpie's post is making me paranoid.
PERSEC  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:54:46 PM(UTC)
PERSEC

Yes its normal.

My investigation for a TS took almost exactly 2 years to finish, and I've been awaiting adjudication for quite some time, and probably will be.

Supposedly OPM has cleared the backlog of investigations. If that's true, that means that the clearance adjudication facilities suddenly have the whole back log dropped in their laps creating a backlog at adjudication.
tyler  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 3:23:29 AM(UTC)
tyler

I am new to this and want federal workers's feedback. My clearance was suspended due to financial concerns which I resolved and made payment arrangement. The payment plan with IRS has been on-going since 2001. Now I have to go to a hearing board or talk with a judge. It has taken 8 months and I am still in a non pay status. My bills are starting to pile up again with concerns about my home. Is this normal? Is there anything being done about speeding up the process with employees with financial concerns. I feel like I am in a catch 22.
bladbe  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:46:17 AM(UTC)
bladbe

I was denied a security clearance, the clearance for the job required at a secret clearance. I see job postings requiring a public trust level clearances, is applying a job requiring this level a viable option? I don't think I can blurt it out that I was denied a clearance at an interview, but I still think they require to fill out the same S-86 form, which I already did.
Is there a large chance they'll deny me a clearance (a lower level this time) again?
PERSEC  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:32:26 PM(UTC)
PERSEC

How long has it been since you were denied?

After 1 year you are elligible to re-apply for a security clearance. You should probably wait until after that 1 year mark to apply for high risk public trust as well.

You're not out of the game completely. It's not completely uncommon for someone to be denied a clearance and get one later, but its usually a few years down the road.

Esspecially if there is any of the factors that got your clearance denied still present in your life.
bladbe  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 12:14:47 AM(UTC)
bladbe

Sorry, I think I was 'declined' one rather than denied one. They told me there was a difference between the two. They didn't fully explain to me what the difference was. So I'm not sure about that prospect.
I was declined last month.
asdfasdf  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:59:04 AM(UTC)
asdfasdf

I have gone through this exact process.

I was declined Secret security clearance, and my job offer was revoked (I had not started work). The reason they will decline is because security clearances cost a lot of money that the company has to pay for you. If they don't think you'll be granted clearance, they will decline you before you are denied from the government.
I wanted to make sure the information that I had written and given to the first company was confidential (even from the government) and the company said that it was confidential and nobody would be able to find this information.
I then applied for a job with a public trust clearance required. I got the job, passed the clearance in about three months (which is fairly quick comparatively speaking).

Asterisk - This is MY experience with the process. Yours could be different. I was kept in the dark as to why my offer was revoked - I can only assume it was because the company did not believe I would be granted secret clearance. Also, I don't know how deep the patriot act goes (my experience occurred after the patriot act), but I'm sure the government has some wandering eyes. Make your decisions for yourself - this is purely informational.

Hope this sums it up, sorry for the late post.
GreyH19  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 11:37:47 AM(UTC)
GreyH19

I'm about to go through the High Risk Public Trust process, and I don't want to get denied, especially because the job is such a great fit for me. Long story short, I was denied TS/SCI clearance about 6 years ago. The "issue" resulting in the denial is long gone.

I have no intention of trying to cover this up, and certainly, even in a Limited Background Check it will come up on the Agency Checks. My hope is that the time frame (>5 years) and the removal of the issue itself are in my favor.

Am I in for a terrible wake up call?

[This message was edited by GreyH19 on December 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM.]
PERSEC  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 1:14:00 PM(UTC)
PERSEC

I would say NO, you're not in for a terrible wake-up call. Typically 4 years will mitigate any wrong doing, assuming it hasnt been done again or the issue is gone.

I can show you cases where convicted murders where granted TS/SCI clearances years later after there initial jail sentence.

Its just a matter of time, and I think you've got that on your side.
GreyH19  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 11:40:48 PM(UTC)
GreyH19

I know you aren't my personal adjudicator, but I was hoping you (PERSEC, specifically!) would say something to that effect. There are some others on this forum with expertise on these matters whose opinions I would also appreciate if they have time to weigh in.

I realize that the purpose of this type of background investigation is to ensure that a) I'm trustworthy and honest enough to handle potentially sensitive information and b) I'm not susceptible to external influences. I hope that my forthrightness about the situation itself is some evidence of that.

Thanks.
kimballj  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:27:51 AM(UTC)
kimballj

06/2005 took trip I was advised not to take due to probable foreign contact. I went anyhow for personal reasons, but did not report it until returning. Last month Federal Admin Judge with DOHA ruled renewal of clearance denied. My lawyer was shocked, and I have been devastated. I had a clearance for 28 years without incident/violation.

What is likelihood of success to apply for position with Public Trust requirement and not losing the job due to background check? I will be honest in my answers, including instances of my fault.

What is the likelihood of success one year from now when I hope to re-apply via supportive employer for clearance? Will it be worth another $7500 in legal fees?

Without the restoration of my career, the IA, InfoSec and/or system engineering career of almost 30 years is lost.

Thank you.
BackGdInvestigator  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:47:40 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

There is a world of difference between the public trust and the national security investigations. Compare the SF 86 to the SF 85 to discover the obvious differences in depth. Then there are the background processes...

Any background investigation can be broken down into three major processes: initiation (getting the form through HR/security and then actually into OPM's hands) which might be delayed because of monies, lost forms, high volumn.

Field work (which has several sub-portions) which includes record searches, interviews, QC review, etc. This is the process that gets most of the notice and has the strictest time limits. The average turnaround for BIs right now is between 40 to 50 days (honest).

The final process is adjudication. Here is where an investigation might rest for a short or long period. Also, if an agency has questions and wants an additional investigation - it will send the ROI back to OPM and pay for the additional investigation (which goes back to the field, reviewers, etc)

Some agencies have a bottle neck with the adjudications. There are many ideas floating around about how to open the bottleneck - none of which are law right now.

So, once you've been contacted by an investigator (if required by your investigation type)be patient. No news is good news.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
BackGdInvestigator  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:51:38 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

Without knowing your circumstances, I really can't say too much.

Failure to report foreign travel before leaving is pretty serious with several agencies - having a security clearance for 28 years and not following the agency guidelines would actually be worse than someone new to the agency.

Also, you didn't mention who told you not to go, which country, if you had any contact/incidents, or which adjudication guide (A,B,etc) to was referenced for your DOHA denial.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed