Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
biggywannabgman87  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:47:37 AM(UTC)
biggywannabgman87

Groups: Registered

What are everyones thoughts about going from a CBPO position to Enforcement & Removal Assistant gig?

Pro's /Con's

I recently saw promotions to Immigration Enforcement Agents only for Enforcement & Removal Assistants. So that might be something to count on down the road.

What does everything think?

Thanks
JayhawkFan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:57:38 PM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

That would be a horrible move. You would go from being a journeyman GS-12 LEO, to being a journeyman GS-8, non-LEO. GS-8 step 10 is $55,844 while GS-12 step 1 is $68,809, so you would lose over $13,000/yr even if you are just a step 1. You would lose all of the retirement benefits of being an LEO also. So instead of getting 1.7% towards FERS for the first 20 years of service, you would only get 1% per year. So the 34% retirement that would have only taken you 20 years to earn as a CBPO, will now take you 34 years to earn.

Now I know that the CBPO job might not be the most exciting position ever, but the same could be said about any job in the feds, and the amount of opportunities as a CBPO will be exponentially greater in CBP compared to working for ICE ERO, which is a much smaller agency.

As far as pro's, the only thing I could think of would be that you could work a more normal schedule, less overtime, and maybe be assigned somewhere off the SWB.

biggywannabgman87  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:37:21 PM(UTC)
biggywannabgman87

Thank you for your response. That was really helpful. I will stick with the CBPO job. Thank you.
mcast055  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:40:37 AM(UTC)
mcast055

Location, location, location buddy. If it puts you exactly where you want to be, worth considering. Assuming thats a priority. Sometimes quality of life is determined by something other than $$. I myself am trying to make a similar move to an outside agency. 

In the case of ERA however, I have heard that IEA, the position you are aiming for, is likely being phased out. This I heard from an ICE agent.  So if anything the move is iffy because the career ladder you're interested in may not lead anywhere.

Hang tight, and good luck!
violetlightheron  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:36:34 PM(UTC)
violetlightheron

Depending on your years of experience, the position you would want to look into are the Deportation Officer (DO) positions. These are what the IEAs are being moved into; depending on available slots and budget, from what I hear. As an LEO, you've already gone through the academy and the firearms training, so it is a good next step for somebody like yourself. As an aside, does anybody know when ICE is going to open up entry level IEA/DO positions? Ones that are not restricted to anybody under GS 8? That, to me, is the most frustrating thing about working in ICE if you don't start as a CBPO and lateral over as an IEA/DO. It's very hard to start as an ERA or LES and try to get your foot in the door to being an IEA/DO; doubly so as an LES because you can't qualify for Upward Mobility gigs. *end rant*
sdsu619  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:59:06 PM(UTC)
sdsu619

ICE stopped recruiting from OA's (CBP), If you like at the most recent hiring announcements, DO's are being hired from within (ERO only). It used to be that there was a pathway for OFO/BP for a DO slot but that was back in 2008-2009.
CountryTrotter  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:18:55 PM(UTC)
CountryTrotter

I would stay CBPO if I was you. Better pay and retirement. However, if you don't like the crazy schedules you have to work as a CBPO, then you might want to switch to being an ERA. It is a Monday to Friday, 8 to 5 gig. As an ERA it is possible to transition to an IEA position. However, the IEA position only goes up to GS-9. Then you could apply to be a DO which goes up to a 12. But see, now we are talking about switching positions twice to get to a GS-12 position which you already have. Also, the whole thing about the IEA posiiton being phased out and merged to the DO position, is just rummors. ICE has repeditly said it does not have money to achieve the merger.
merlin436  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:59:16 AM(UTC)
merlin436

Looking to move so soon?

I'll pretty much echo what the others have said. I wouldn't do it, not outside of some over-powering need to relocate. I'm thinking you've only a year or so in, so the GS-12 money issue might not grab you in the short-term but it sure would slam you down-the-road.

FWIW, I haven't met many CBPOs who made the jump to ICE in a position other than an 1811 or DO who ended up any happier than before...excluding serial jumpers. Morale stinks within ERO, from the rumblings I've heard.

I'd stay put, put in my time and, grab a GS-12 and then look to see what's available at that point.
VRA might also be an option then, if location is your main issue. In a couple of years, many more ports will be open and looking to fill people, IMO.

JayhawkFan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:04:04 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

mcast055 wrote:
Location, location, location buddy. If it puts you exactly where you want to be, worth considering. Assuming thats a priority. Sometimes quality of life is determined by something other than $$. I myself am trying to make a similar move to an outside agency. 

Not really. I had a job as a Federal LEO (BOP) in the exact location that I wanted. The problem was that it was GL-7 journeyman with almost no possibility of promotion. The job was also tedious and boring. Had I followed your train of thought, I would still be there stagnating in a job I hated.

I left and now I am in a GS-12 journeyman position (Border Patrol), and make significantly more than what I made at the BOP. Not only that, but I have more opportunities for special units/details, better opportunities for promotions (GS-13 first line supervisors), better training/equipment, and the experience I gain will better carry over into my long term goal (1811 position).

Rss Feed  Atom Feed