Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cobolt  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:00:55 AM(UTC)
cobolt

Groups: Registered

Is there any disadvantage to leaving the GS system and taking a DCIPS position? I am still career-conditional, in that I have not yet been with the Feds for 3 years. On the other hand, I am a vet. I understand that DCIPS is excepted service, which is why I am giving the rundown on my career status. Should I accept the DCIPS position, it would be a promotion for me.

Thanks
fcarver  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:52:51 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Couple quick facts:

1) since you're a vet, you can come back to the competitive service using VRA/VEOA, etc later.

2) since you're leaving as career-conditional, you can use reinstatement rights to come back. technically those are only good for 3 years from the date you leave competitive service, BUT per 5 CFR they are extended day for day for each day you serve in the excepted service. So, as long as you're employed in the excepted service, your reinstatement rights are still good.

3) if you ever go back to competitive service later, as long as you don't have a break in service in between, all your excepted service time will count toward career status when you go back to the competitive service. This is called "Intervening Service".

So, I'd pick the best job for you. It's a promotion, that's good. Will you enjoy the job? Better/worse than current? Good location? etc etc. All the normal factors.

I wouldn't think that excepted service is any more risky as far as stability than competitive service. You just need to know the mission of the command you're going to to know if the job will stay around.

Good luck either way!
cobolt  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:04:47 AM(UTC)
cobolt

Thank you! Your response is very helpful!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed