Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning


Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.


To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LSA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:45:46 AM(UTC)
LSA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/29/2004(UTC)
Posts: 996

anniegrace  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:06:19 AM(UTC)
anniegrace

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/20/2012(UTC)
Posts: 23

Oh boy - OPM will really get this one messed up when they retire.
Fed1969  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:18:21 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 3,333

This is an example of how Obama is good at giving the middle class the shaft.  Expect a lot more during the next for years after he is re-elected.

I expected he will target DOD and USPS big time during the next four years.
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:02:20 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 5,354
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

anniegrace wrote:
Oh boy - OPM will really get this one messed up when they retire.
 
how can OPM mess it up? "there’s no change in the way most retirement benefits are computed."
 
 
what is the big deal, it is for new people not current people or people all ready retired.
 
 
this will just make it harder to recruit people to work for the federal government.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
LSA  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:19:43 PM(UTC)
LSA

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/29/2004(UTC)
Posts: 996

To Postalvet:

Most new people don't have a clue about the retirement system. It's the furthest from their mind.

However, the government will be getting the dumbest people (or "last resort jobs" for those people who can't find other jobs in the private sector) with Obamas three year pay freeze.


68gto  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:29:26 PM(UTC)
68gto

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/23/2009(UTC)
Posts: 142

30 years ago I took an ECON 101 course in college and the only thing I remember from that course was a statement in the textbook. "The Government is the employer of last resort".   Most people just want a job not worrying about retirement.

Fed1969  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:47:17 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 3,333


68gto wrote:
30 years ago I took an ECON 101 course in college and the only thing I remember from that course was a statement in the textbook. "The Government is the employer of last resort".   Most people just want a job not worrying about retirement.


When the private sector is doing well, many do not want to work for the government because of low pay.

When the private sector is struggles, people like working for the government because they are the employer of last resort.  All of a sudden the low pay is considered good pay.
Fed1969  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:51:46 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 3,333

LSA wrote:
To Postalvet:

Most new people don't have a clue about the retirement system. It's the furthest from their mind.

However, the government will be getting the dumbest people (or "last resort jobs" for those people who can't find other jobs in the private sector) with Obamas three year pay freeze.



When the private sector is hurting, the government gets a lot more smart people than other times.  These smart people can not find a job in the private sector so they go to the government as last resort.  Some will stay with the government when the private sector job market improves.
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 1:01:44 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 5,354
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
LSA wrote:
To Postalvet:

Most new people don't have a clue about the retirement system. It's the furthest from their mind.

However, the government will be getting the dumbest people (or "last resort jobs" for those people who can't find other jobs in the private sector) with Obamas three year pay freeze.


 
and your point is?
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
MMOB  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 9:08:11 AM(UTC)
MMOB

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/1/2009(UTC)
Posts: 357

Fed1969 wrote:
This is an example of how Obama is good at giving the middle class the shaft.  Expect a lot more during the next for years after he is re-elected.
 
You know, most of your posts on this forum amount to irrelevant drivel. 
 
This is a prime example.

postalvet  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 9:33:05 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 5,354
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)


I guess they just want to run up their post count for some reason.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
m65  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:46:11 AM(UTC)
m65

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/10/2012(UTC)
Posts: 648

Forever Employed Retirement System-Retire At Expiration

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it." Henry David Thoreau
jrhoads  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 4:57:00 AM(UTC)
jrhoads

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 530

I have read through the OPM document (http://www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/bals/2012/12-104.pdf) and have a question for anyone who may know. If I have 5 years active duty time (2000-2005) and get hired after January 2013, do I qualify under FERS, or FERS-RAE? From my reading it looks like only credible "civilian federal service" counts, but I have been told I can buy back my military time. Will that get me in under FERS?
penelope1440  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:05:22 AM(UTC)
penelope1440

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 697

I would think the answer would be no. Just like with regular FERs, if your military time took you back to a period of time that would be CSRS. Only civilian employment may count, if you have 5 years of that prior to being hired in January 2013.
jrhoads  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:41:23 PM(UTC)
jrhoads

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 530

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the clarification.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.021 seconds.