Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pragmatist  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 6:33:59 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

Groups: Registered

Good day everyone! First post here though I've been browsing this forum the whole month of November. I applied for Casual Mail Handler last Oct. 27 and got an email the next day regarding background check, finger print and drug test which I duly accomplished. On Nov. 1, I was asked to come in for an interview at our local plant which went well and the interviewer said I got the job. He said someone would call me before December 1st which is the orientation day.
    On November 5th, I saw an opening for PSE Mail Processing Clerk so I applied for it as well. The day after, I got an email to take the 473 exam which I took on the same date and got a score of 85.10. I don't have prior military service so I wasn't putting much hope on the PSE position. I was getting anxious last week of November since no one has contacted me yet so on Nov. 27, I emailed my interviewer asking if I am still in consideration for the casual position. He said someone would call me that day to confirm my orientation on Dec. 1 but he said he was also considering me for the PSE position.
    The next day, he called me up to tell me that the PSE position was mine and that my orientation was for Dec. 5. No additional paperwork or interview!

Introduction was a bit lengthy I will agree. My question is what to expect as a PSE mail processing clerk because I've browsed the forum and there seem to be very few PSE Mail Processing Clerks. Also they said I would be on tour 1 at the plant, is there a chance that I will also be rotated to a day job in any PO branch? Reason I'm asking is because I'm eyeing a 2nd daytime job at a local hospital here.

Thanks in advance to your responses!
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 8:46:41 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
pragmatist wrote:

My question is what to expect as a PSE mail processing clerk because I've browsed the forum and there seem to be very few PSE Mail Processing Clerks. Also they said I would be on tour 1 at the plant, is there a chance that I will also be rotated to a day job in any PO branch? Reason I'm asking is because I'm eyeing a 2nd daytime job at a local hospital here.

mail processing PSE's assigned to tour 1 work all night. long hours and hard work. there is not a chance you will be rotated to a po branch because those PSE' are hired as sales associates. the post office expects you to give your all to them and not to any other job.
some will say to tell your supervisor you have another job. I have mixed feelings about telling management of another job because management expects you to give so much to the post office that they will use any excuse to fire you.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
pragmatist  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 9:54:23 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

postalvet wrote:
pragmatist wrote:

My question is what to expect as a PSE mail processing clerk because I've browsed the forum and there seem to be very few PSE Mail Processing Clerks. Also they said I would be on tour 1 at the plant, is there a chance that I will also be rotated to a day job in any PO branch? Reason I'm asking is because I'm eyeing a 2nd daytime job at a local hospital here.

mail processing PSE's assigned to tour 1 work all night. long hours and hard work. there is not a chance you will be rotated to a po branch because those PSE' are hired as sales associates. the post office expects you to give your all to them and not to any other job.
some will say to tell your supervisor you have another job. I have mixed feelings about telling management of another job because management expects you to give so much to the post office that they will use any excuse to fire you.

Thanks for the feedback postalvet!
Beppo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 1:04:34 AM(UTC)
Beppo

I'll just leave this here...

Being a PSE ClerkBeppo2012-12-04 09:10:29
pragmatist  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:01:41 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

Thanks Beppo!I'm sorry to hear about your experience as a clerk. I'm hoping to have a different experience. Crossing my fingers.pragmatist2012-12-04 11:14:55
pragmatist  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:52:07 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

Just had orientation and I report back later at 8:30. I also joined APWU.
unclejimbo  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:02:32 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good for you. Now make friends with your steward. You will have plenty of questions. In most cases the steward will be in the best position to answer them for you.
If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
pragmatist  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:32:26 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

unclejimbo wrote:
Good for you. Now make friends with your steward. You will have plenty of questions. In most cases the steward will be in the best position to answer them for you.

Thanks for the advice unclejimbo!
unclejimbo  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:13:18 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

You're welcome. It's also possible that your steward will be less than what you hoped for. Maybe someone who has an agenda that is inconsistent with the agenda he was chosen to advance. Hopefully not, but if so, you will be able to recognize it fairly quickly. By the time you find that out, you will also have found out who it is who really knows what's what. It will probably be some grizzled old timer who has seen it all. He has an axe to grind, but will still give you valuable info.

Everyone you talk to will have something interesting to share. Most of it is true. When you get done digesting it all, you will inevitably come to the following conclusion: Do what the supervisor tells you and you will be fine. If the supervisor tells you to do something (that is not obviously unsafe or illegal) and a co-worker tells you not to do it, follow the supervisor's instructions. He can fire you. The co-worker can't.
Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
pragmatist  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:37:20 PM(UTC)
pragmatist

Haven't met the steward yet, but my sup seems to be a good person. I was assigned to spbs and the three PSE's I met on the shift were nice and helpful. Back to the grind later tonight for a full shift and I'm hoping that the people would stay nice.
Beppo  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:14:05 AM(UTC)
Beppo

pragmatist wrote:
      but my sup seems to be a good person.
Mine seemed to be that way too. Hope yours actually turn out to be.Beppo2012-12-06 16:19:20
pragmatist  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:18:25 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

3rd night last and I was assigned at the dock ( a bit cold) but tolerable. Regs that I'm partnered with gave me tips. I had my first 2 hour OT. It's supposed to be my off today and tomorrow but I was told to come in tonight and possibly tomorrow too. So far people treat me good and are patient showing me the ropes. One guy who saw me loading a BMC to a truck said not to load it because it wasn't my job.     
Guts  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:49:49 AM(UTC)
Guts

True, it is the mailhandler that loads the truck. Sometimes the driver will help.
A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine<br /><br />
pragmatist  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:20:42 PM(UTC)
pragmatist

I started work Wednesday (with Sat-Sun off).I had 2 hours overtime on my 3rd night(Friday) and 1 hr OT on the 4th night(I was called to work on Saturday). Do I get OT pay for those 3 hours or do I need to accumulate 40 hrs first in order for any OT to kick-in? Also, would my payrate be the same if I work on my day off?
unclejimbo  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:35:12 PM(UTC)
unclejimbo

You get OT for all time worked in excess of 8 hours in a day. Once you reach 40 hours of straight time in a week, your time past those 40 hours is OT. If you worked 4 ten hour days, you would only have 32 hours of straight time, since 2 hours each day would be OT. So you still would have 8 hours of straight time left to work that week, even though you had worked 40 hours.

Although you were scheduled for Sat-Sun off, you are not guaranteed that schedule. Therefore, you don't technically have a "scheduled day off." Your first 8 hours on Saturday were straight time. By the time Friday rolls around, unless they give you a different day off or work you less than 8 hours one day, your whole day on Friday will be OT.
Rmagedn  
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:50:02 PM(UTC)
Rmagedn

PSE's make/get OT pay after 40 hours in a work week. We don't get OT like the regs do after 8 hours in any given work day.
pragmatist  
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:37:49 PM(UTC)
pragmatist

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you posted when I get my paycheck in 2 weeks time.
unclejimbo  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 7:16:46 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Holy macaroni. I just read the OT provisions for PSE's. They screwed you over. My earlier post about you getting OT for all hours over 8 is crap. You are apparently not eligible for postal overtime, just FLSA OT. My apologies.
pragmatist  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 8:52:47 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

unclejimbo wrote:
Holy macaroni. I just read the OT provisions for PSE's. They screwed you over. My earlier post about you getting OT for all hours over 8 is crap. You are apparently not eligible for postal overtime, just FLSA OT. My apologies.

So Rmagedn was correct that it only applies once you complete 40 hours in a week.

Is this the correct FLSA OT link? http://www.flsa.com/overtime.html

Excerpt: Thus, under the FLSA overtime rules, "nothing happens" unless and until a nonexempt employee has actually worked more than 40 hours in a work week. Stated another way, if an employee's total hours actually worked in a work week are not more than 40, the FLSA overtime rules are not triggered at all. No FLSA overtime pay is due. If, and only if, total hours actually worked exceed 40 in a work week, then the FLSA overtime rules may come into play.

Now since the USPS schedule is always changing, should I assume that my work week ends on the posted day offs in the schedule? What if they ask me to to forgo the 2 days off and let me work thru the following week?
unclejimbo  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 9:05:21 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Yes, once you hit 40 hours for the week then you get OT, but not before. According to the contract (if I read it correctly), PSE's can't work over 8 hours in a day anyway unless the ODL is maxed out.

Your work week is the same as the postal work week, which runs from Saturday through Friday. If they schedule you to work, then you work. Apparently you can work 7 eight-hour days without triggering any grievances. That would mean 16 hours of OT.

I'll check out the link when I get a chance (I don't want to miss the Miser Brothers on The Year Without A Santa Claus), but the FLSA rules as they apply to postal employees are found in ELM 444.21. I'm sure that the info is the same as what's on the FLSA web site.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed